Capture units within cities and other units

TPQ

Cogito Ergo Civ
Currently, when you use a privateer to capture a carrier (for example) you don't capture the units on the carrier, such as fighters and nuclear bombers. Similarly, when you capture a city the only unit you can aquire is a worker.

My suggestion is that when capturing cities and units (such as carriers) that hold other units, there should be a percentage chance of capturing the units within those cities and units. Furthermore, the units captured should either have a percentage chance of being a certain percent damaged, or have a fixed amount of damaged applied on capture, implying damage sustained during use, or sabotage by crewmen before capture.

My initial thoughts on percentages are that when a carrier (for example) is captured by a privateer, there would be a 33% chance for each individual aircraft on board to be captured and each aircraft would have a 50% chance of being damaged anywhere between 20% to 80% (randomly) when captured. The damage could also be fixed, as when a privateer captures another naval vessel.

When capturing cities, the chance of capturing aircraft should be a little lower (to suggest the greater chance of the people of the city destroying aircraft on the airfields before the city falls, to avoid their capture), so say, a 25%, or even 20% chance of capturing each aircraft. This smaller percentage would also help balance the fact that you can have more aircraft in a city, than in a carrier and help prevent people/AIs easily getting a big air force in a single city capture.

I don't think you should be able to capture a military land unit within a city, as I would expect that, theoretically, that unit would have fought to it's death in the city's defence, unlike air units that could conceivably have been parked on the air field (for re-fuelling etc).

I'm also against the idea of capturing land units at sea too and I have my doubts about the prospect of a privateer capturing any kind of submarine, especially nuclear subs. Additionally, I think that it should never be possible to capture nuclear missiles, as they don't sustain damage, it would be OP to capture them and it is reasonable to imagine the people in charge of nukes (at sea, or in a city) would have a foolproof procedure to destroy the missiles quickly to prevent their capture.

TL;DR: I suggest there should be a percentage chance to capture air units in carriers, cities and subs, with a percent chance for either fixed, or percentage based damage applied on capture. This excludes nuclear missiles for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom