Captured cities immediately annexed

I've also been having the same problem. Auto-annex, and the happiness is not reduced at all when annexing.
The other day I annexed many cities as the huns, and my happiness was at 18+. Then when reloading the save game my happiness was back to what it should have been, at -28.

Exactly the same here, as the Mongols. I took out the Aztecs first, and the pop ups were showing up correctly. Then, the next day after loading up my game and taking on the Byzantines, the bug occurred right after I got their first city. Auto-annex, no happiness hits. It even grew in population without affecting my happiness at all! Same thing with the 2nd city I conquered. I uploaded the auto-save from the turn right after I conquered the 2nd city.

I've encountered the same problem. This may well have just been a coincidence but in one game I switched 'map inertia' off and got auto annex consistently. It happened again in the second game and, when I switched it back on, the next city I took put the option up to puppet.

I've encountered the same problem. This may well have just been a coincidence but in one game I switched 'map inertia' off and got auto annex consistently. It happened again in the second game and, when I switched it back on, the next city I took put the option up to puppet.

Nope just a coincidence - started another game and this happened immediately.

We're looking into this now, and we think we have isolated the problem. We'll keep everyone posted.

Came to the forums to post about this problem, only to find Firaxis is already addressing it and keeps a community updated? Nice to see that some gaming companies still care about something other than the bottom line.

Sometimes when I meet a city-state no pop-up window is shown. I have also encountered the pop-up bug when clearing barb camps or ancient ruins. In one game, after a few turns all those pop-up windows where shown, obviously not at the right time.

I have noticed the issue as well. I also have a similar issue when meeting a city state for the first time. The initial popup does not appear.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. The issue is caused by certain keyboard shortcuts being used for UI. The work-around for the time being is to not use F-key shortcuts, and use the mouse to open pop-up UI (like victory overview, religion overview, demographics, etc.).

Thanks to Firaxis for investigating the issue and providing feedback :)

I would tend to agree with MinutiaRules that the issue runs a bit deeper, and that there seems to exist some strange flakiness with the game's event/message controller (or whatever it's called):
- game event thumbnail message sometimes (although rarely) fail to show up
- yield display sometimes (although rarely) stop showing up in a rectangular map area
- units sent by the AI sometimes (although rarely) stop in the middle of nowhere
- a component of a private UI mod I made to access the tech tree directly without using the tech info panel used to run fine but now completely inhibits reward popups

Edit: I guess the event controller has always been a bit flaky (dropping an event here and there), what seems to be new is that a single lost event crashes the reward popup queue (and maybe more). You can test this easily by removing a popup event handler, such as the one for BUTTONPOPUP_CHOOSETECH: click on the select tech button...

Thanks to Firaxis for investigating the issue and providing feedback :)

I would tend to agree with MinutiaRules that the issue runs a bit deeper, and that there seems to exist some strange flakiness with the game's event/message controller (or whatever it's called):
- game event thumbnail message sometimes (although rarely) fail to show up
- yield display sometimes (although rarely) stop showing up in a rectangular map area
- units sent by the AI sometimes (although rarely) stop in the middle of nowhere
- a component of a private UI mod I made to access the tech tree directly without using the tech info panel used to run fine but now completely inhibits reward popups

Edit: I guess the event controller has always been a bit flaky (dropping an event here and there), what seems to be new is that a single lost event crashes the reward popup queue (and maybe more). You can test this easily by removing a popup event handler, such as the one for BUTTONPOPUP_CHOOSETECH: click on the select tech button...

Agreed. the first issue we found was related to hot-keys. There appears to be some other lingering issues we are trying to track down now. Thanks much for the additional input, it's extremely helpful.

Could we take a look at your UI mod?

Yes of course, please find attached. I have not taken the time to make a proper mod package (the whole thing is incomplete anyway), so the zBC & zBCgk folders need to be placed directly in the vanilla & expansion UI folders respectively.

Only the modified "TechTree.lua" files need to be used to cause the popup queue to fail after a game started from scratch with "play now" or "setup game" (the file is modified to respond to the BUTTONPOPUP_CHOOSETECH and BUTTONPOPUP_CHOOSE_TECH_TO_STEAL popup events in place of the info panel but the fail occurs even if the info panel is left in to also respond).

I am having this same auto-annex issue in my current game and I don't use keyboard shortcuts. Another interesting thing about the bug is that the auto-annex appears to not be increasing the culture cost for my next social policy. So it's an annex that is acting like a puppet in that respect.

The other half of the issue is the Choose Great Person pop-up (from late-game faith, Mayan Long Count, policies, etc.). We have a fix in testing now. Otherwise, the only workaround (unfortunately) is to save, and load from a save after one of these pop-ups occur.

On a side note, there are a large number of mods that have this bug in the LUA as well. We will be posting some examples of the code snippets so modders can correct these.

Well from my understanding it's not directly related to the annex pop up. If you have the bug all pop up stop working. Discovering a tech, meeting a CS and so on.

It's not related to that pop-up at all, it's just noticeable when it's missing. The bug will occur (will kill pop-ups from that point forward) if you use certain F-key shortcuts, or if you experience the Choose Free Great Person pop-up. Loading from a save clears the condition. We hope to have a fix out shortly.

a large number of mods that have this bug in the LUA as well. We will be posting some examples of the code snippets so modders can correct these.
The bug will occur (will kill pop-ups from that point forward) if you use certain F-key shortcuts, or if you experience the Choose Free Great Person pop-up.
Would you kindly please tell us what's wrong with our mods, and which F-key shortcuts cause the problem ? Thanks.

Top Bottom