Captured cities immediately annexed

Is there any date we could expect new patch? Or will game stay unplayable? Is there any way to move back to old patch? I never before was in situation I paid for game but I can't play it.... Is it normal now?

At least there is a simple workaround for this glitch.

1) It seems to be triggered by exiting the info screens with your keyboard. So try not to do that.
2) In case you accidentally hit the bug (most notable when capturing a city without popup), just open your science screen by F6 and close it with your mouse. Then all missing popups will be restored.

I am sure Firaxis will fix this in an upcoming patch, but for now it is at least playable, given the workaround.

2) In case you accidentally hit the bug (most notable when capturing a city without popup), just open your science screen by F6 and close it with your mouse. Then all missing popups will be restored.

Thank you, will try that.

just to confirm i'm also having this issue. i captured four cities yesterday and got popups for none of them. moreover the one that was previously a city state lost its CS symbol, which presumably means it can now never be restored. i tried the F6 - exit with the mouse work around but it made no difference for me. given the differences in costs, having to automatically annex instead of puppet makes a huge difference to the game.

i've also been experiencing missing pop-ups from meeting city states, and a few times received no notification at all of what i found in certain ruins.

I'm having the same problem too. The bug sometimes occurs in games and sometimes doesn't. Does the solution in post 64 work?

I'm having the same problem too. The bug sometimes occurs in games and sometimes doesn't. Does the solution in post 64 work?

I've played a fair few games post patch and in all but one very strange case this does work. Anytime you notice you've missed a popup (meeting a CS, capturing a city etc). Call up one of the windows and exit and the message queue should catch up. I usually hit f6 twice when I notice. It probably works for other popup screens but I seem to always use f6 for some reason.

I've managed to find the screenshot of the rare case in question. I've seen this only once and unfortunately don't have a save. In this instance hitting f6 corrected the queue but, as you'll see, I had a popup asking if I wanted to raize the city but no buttons to respond either way. This killed the game totally.

Attachments

• 2012-12-27_00001.jpg
    2012-12-27_00001.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 251
I've played a fair few games post patch and in all but one very strange case this does work. Anytime you notice you've missed a popup (meeting a CS, capturing a city etc). Call up one of the windows and exit and the message queue should catch up.

i have yet to see this work. in a recent war i tried it right before i captured a city and then again right after with no effect; i went in and out of the city, and then tried entering various menus with F-keys and with the mouse and then exiting with the mouse and i never recovered a single pop-up screen. i've tried this now when capturing three cities and in each case the city was automatically occupied and no pop-ups ever appeared.

+1 confirming, for me it's mostly when conquering cities but I also miss techs and city-states every now and again. Will post a save next time I bug out.

EDIT: Here you go. Quicksaved, auto-annexed, reloaded, and then it worked.

Attachments

• AUTO-ANNEX-BUG-QuickSave.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
Update / Quick fix: I found that double-tapping F6 (science menu) will reset all the missed pop-ups, show them all at once, and allow you to (retroactively!!) puppet or liberate city-states that got auto-annexed. Something about the science menu refreshing triggers the missed pop-ups, and it doesn't work if I just go in the tech tree, linger there, and come back.

Opening/closing screens usually(but not always) works to trigger the pop ups in single player, but for me it never fixes the problem in multiplayer; pop ups seem to randomly self-correct if at all. Playing with friends we've had to quit games because I was getting an obviously unfair boost.

I guess its "buy the expansion and hope the bug gets fixed"..

It still exists and it's absolutely game-breaking. If you cannot resolve it before you save, it saves as if you annexed all those cities, which anyone can understand, is just terrible. :mad::mad::mad: everywhere.

It still exists and it's absolutely game-breaking. If you cannot resolve it before you save, it saves as if you annexed all those cities, which anyone can understand, is just terrible. everywhere.
Actually, the situation before saving is falsely positive. Cities have already been auto-annexed but the effects are not calculated correctly. After a reload, the cities will still be auto-annexed but the effect calculation has catched up. However, the proposed workaround (see post 64) should still work post-load. Have you tried it?

I do still hope Firaxis fixes this (in the next expansion or patch)...

Unfortunately this bug is still present after .318 patch :(

And it ruins whole game, because cities are annexed, but happiness is wrongly calculated (there is no unhapinness for occupied cities). Please Firaxis fix this, coz I'm forgeting to do the "F6+Close" trick after any Fx key. I'm also playing with Quick Combat.

Unfortunately this bug is still present after .318 patch :(
Confirmed. Fortunately after a reload I do get the option to puppet.

Also randomly eats barb camp conquer messages and goodie hut messages, showing the info only atop the screen for the proverbial 2-3 seconds.

This bug also happens with cities flipped due to differing ideologies. I was able to repeat the auto-annex and repeat avoiding the auto-annex of flipped cities. Since the cities flip during the AI's turn, I always wait until it's my turn again to choose whether to puppet, raze or liberate a city I receive via the culture flipping or in a peace deal. If I chose then continue playing everything works as expected. However, if for any reason I have to reload the auto-save for that turn, I no longer get the choice and the city is auto-annexed. However, if I instead reload the auto-save from the turn before the city flipped to my control, when it flips after I hit end turn I will once again be able to choose. So apparently the trigger that activates the pop-up window is not saved in the auto-save. Thus when reloading the auto-save the game only knows you now control that city but not that you need to choose to annex, puppet, raze or liberate. So it default to annex.

Possible solutions.
  • Set the default state of newly acquired cities as puppet instead of annexed. That way if anything prevents the pop-up we're not hit with the massive negative happiness from annexing a city that we didn't want to annex anyway.
  • Since you can't build/buy anything while the city is in resistance the only time anyone would ever annex right away is to raze the city, except that raze is an option in the pop-up menu. Therefore there is absolutely no reason to even have annex as an option in the pop-up menu, so remove annex as an option.
  • Allow razing of a puppet without having to annex it first. This should follow the same rules as choosing raze from the pop-up menu.

Top Bottom