1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Captured Cities

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mordraken, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Mordraken

Mordraken Chieftain

(if someone has a better title for this thread, please let me know...).

I had a problem in the last game I played. I had a conquest going against a large (cultured) opponent, but had 2 very cultured opponents around him. After taking a city, before the city reverted to my control, the other civ's cultural boundries had completely enclosed my new city. After the flip, I had about 4 square I could work in the city.

To make matters worse, I took another city before the first flipped, which left a large area of "unclaimed" land (east of my political boundries, and north & west of 2 other opponents). While I only lost a bit of land to cultural expansion (it was further away than the first city), this COULD have been settled by another AI settler...!

Now, besides a great artist (using a work of art) - is there any other way to stop the expansion of culture like this? The first city was quite close to the boarder (about 2-3 tiles away), and by the time it reverted, it was 2 tiled deep into the other civ. Eventually it flipped to thier control anyway...

This is the first time I have seen any kind of crazy expansion, but I think it's also the first time I took a city deep in the enemy's territory (closer to another opponet than to me).

2. maltz

maltz King

I say raze the city and pop in your own settler. :D

Or if you happen to have one, a Great Artist may solve all your problems.

3. Mordraken

Mordraken Chieftain

But won't my new (small) city be quickly engulfed by the culture of the other nations?

(and... I've started to keep my Great Artists soley for flipping captured citiesd quickly now).

4. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

If I take a city deep in enemy territory, I will almost always raze it. I don't like taking cities that are too far from my territory, as it's hard to get reinforcements there quickly. I generally work from my border out, keeping the good cities and razing the rest of them. :king:

Good idea with keeping the Great Artists around. I think that is the best use for them, and makes keeping enemy cities easier. :goodjob: