Captured Holy City: Can HC status be wiped out?

Barking Iguana

Chieftain
If I send an inquisitor, I read a while ago, that it removes holy city status (20 internal pressure) from the city. But I also see on old threads that that's not true. What's the actual state of the rules these days?

If it works with an inquisitor, will it also wirk with a Great Prophet? Again, from a while ago. I thought I remembered that wiping out HC stat us is one thing an inquisitor can do that a GP can't. What's the real story?

I thought I remembered that wiping out HC stat us is one thing an inquisitor can do that a GP can't.
think this is correct

Doesn't an inquisitor only work in a "controlled city" (or words to that effect)? I think this means, for example, one couldn't remove an enemy's religion from their own Holy City, unless you capture/control it (as the OP states).

That is correct. The only way to remove another city's Holy City status is to conquer the Holy City and then zap it with an inquisitor. The only circumstance where that does not work is if the Holy City's religion has the Reformation belief Unity of the Prophets (which reduces the effects of inquisitors and Great Prophets of other religions).

Conquer the enemy holy city. Bring an inquisitor to the city. Use the inquisitor's ability (the unit is consumed). Holy City: gone (I never saw the above mentioned Unity of Prophets belief in AI civ). That religion has to be eliminated in every other city as well, but removing the holy city and its religious pressure helps a lot.

Top Bottom