1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Capturing 1-tile island city

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Junkpan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Junkpan

Junkpan Chieftain

So we all know the AI loves to make a city on a 1-tile island. If I wanted to attack that city to capture it, how exactly do I go about doing so, being that I can't land any units next to it?

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

A land unit can attack directly from the sea. (although it does get a -50% penalty for doing so.)

You will probably want to use Ships to bombard the city down first.

3. Horizons

Horizons King of the Ring

Firaxis removed marines especially to make capturing such cities even more difficult.

4. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

Just give some of your land units the amphibious promo, bombard the city with ships and then send the promoted land units in. Well, I say "units", but you could probably do it with one amphibious unit and a few ships.

5. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

You DON'T need the Amphibious promotion. It does make it easier, but it is unnecessary.

6. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Any land unit that comes out with 30 XP can be a marine (amphibious promotion).

Quoth the Raven likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Just bombard it with ships/planes, then anyone can attack from the sea to take it.

8. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Chieftain

Depends on the city and on the tech level. I've run into some situations where it's a suicide attack trying to take that city even though it's fully reduced. The Amphibious promotion has helped quite a bit in those situations :)

Aside from that situation, though, those cities can be some of the easiest to conquer due to the AI's inability to defend them.

9. blac

blac Chieftain

I would just rock 3-4 boats and bombard the daylights out of it. Unless it had an important resource I would personally leave it alone

10. Ironmonger69

Ironmonger69 Chieftain

Just remember, if your water-born unit can't reach the city on the first move, hold up outside bombardment range (two tiles between your unit and the city). Enemy territory doesn't affect movement at sea, and you'll be able to zip right on in the next turn if ready.

11. clif9710

clif9710 Chieftain

I love one tile island cities to set up for assaults on the mainland. If you have a naval advantage, the IC can easily be bombarded so that just about any embarked unit can take it. Once you have it, you get the surrounding ocean as safe harbor where any unit of yours can heal and boats can easily move in and out of mainland city range. Elizabeth's ships of the line are perfect for this duty.

It sets up a nice situation where the AI will keep sending units to the mainland coast for you to easily destroy from the sea. Since even a very productive city takes a few turns to produce a fighting unit and you can eliminate it in one turn with your boats, it's a turkey shoot until rocket artillery comes into play, but you should be able to seize a mainland city before that happens and start you continental campaign - with a lot fewer units to face from your offshore bombardment.

A nearby military CS on the mainland with which you have allied is a wonderful thing as well, donating fighting units to you time and again.

12. unfairlane

unfairlane Chieftain

Trying this right now, and despite of beeing far ahead in techs not even a marine can enter the totally defenceless outbombed city. What a game :rolleyes:

13. Volcanon

Volcanon Chieftain

A fully reduced city will not actually be a suicide attack, usually, but it might knock your unit down to 1 HP.

If you're fighting a one-island city why dont you just use a melee ship? They can capture cities.

14. winstonthecat

winstonthecat Chieftain

Seriously, I always use melee ships (mostly frigates or destroyers) for capturing coastal and island cities.

Quoth the Raven likes this.
  15. cain3456

cain3456 Chieftain

frigates are not melee ships. Triremes, privateers, and destroyers are. Or you can soften them up with frigates and battleships then have a melee unit capture the city.

16. pdxmm

pdxmm Chieftain

I don't know why you would use land based units to take a ocean based city unless you are unable to field a navy to start with. If I didn't have access to a navy I would just leave that city alone unless it is surrounded by ocean lux tiles because it isn't worth the trouble.