capturing airplanes? and airlifting arty

hawkeyepk

Chieftain
I read on a thread somewhere in here about capturing airplanes when you capture a city. Does anybody know how? They are always destroyed when I take the city they are in. Same with ships.
Also, does anyone know why I can't airlift artillary? I tried both regular artillary and radar artillary and neither works.

1. They are always destroyed for me too. ;)

2. You can't airlift artillery. Very unfortunately.

Well, you could make it that way through the editor, but for me, dead too.

You don't keep/enslave pikemen/archers/cavalry etc you defeat on the battlefield though. Why should you keep planes and ships...

:crazyeye:

You could do it if you had an enslaving unit. Although it'd take like 50 to take down a cavalry :)

Planes and ships aren't captured because they have a defense strength. Only units without defense can be captured.

In vanilla (and maybe ptw) stealth bombers didn't have any defense strength, so it's possible that you could have captured them, but I've never seen it myself.

It would be realistic if they could be captured, however, unlike artillery, it takes highly trained crew to operate ships and planes. So while you could just pull ten guys off the frontline to load and fire a cannon, flying/piloting a plane/ship (not to mention all the maintenance and supply work this would entail) is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, it's not that easy to capture and use foreign high tech machinery. If it was possible, then why should it not be possible to capture tanks, boats, the space ship..

Maybe stealth bomber can be captured, I have not tested. But I don't think they should be captured in spite the zero defense value.

Nukes can't be captured either, and they have no defense value.

You don't keep/enslave pikemen/archers/cavalry etc you defeat on the battlefield though. Why should you keep planes and ships...

:crazyeye:

Because they're hardware, and not a unit like an archer.

You keep arty units when taking a city, right?

As for airlifting arty...all things are possible in the editor. Well, most things. Okay, some things. But this definately is. :)

Turner said:
Because they're hardware, and not a unit like an archer.

You could at least keep his bow - thus making your next archer cheaper. You would just need a new a long-haired hobo, say 10 shields?
The bow is hardware, right?

Oh, that was lame troop!

:shake:

At least you have proven that you exist!

;)

You could at least keep his bow - thus making your next archer cheaper. You would just need a new a long-haired hobo, say 10 shields?
The bow is hardware, right?

Oh, that was lame troop!

:shake:

At least you have proven that you exist!

;)

I found it hysterically funny!!! :lol:

well recall what happens in real life when a city is about to fall, the losing army redeploys its aircraft/ships or destroys them so that the enemy cannot capture it (example, some port in Norway that the Germans captured in WWII, the Norwegian tried to burn/destroy as much they could)

I don't see why ships can't be captured. Perhaps because they're so valuble and expensive it would be too much of an advantage.

This game isn't realistic, as it normally wouldn't take an archer several centuries to get to the frontline. So why would you discuss if capturing planes is normal?

This game isn't realistic, as it normally wouldn't take an archer several centuries to get to the frontline. So why would you discuss if capturing planes is normal?

Well if you killed all the people in the ship and repaired the damage why wouldn'y you capture it?

Btw if you want to see unrealistic go to warcraft and look at the "spells" they do. Now that is unrealistic. Some parts of civ are a bit different but certainly not unrealistic.

If it didn't take archers long to move across tiles then they would have to have more movement points. Giving them more movement points would unbalance the game though.

If it didn't take archers long to move across tiles then they would have to have more movement points. Giving them more movement points would unbalance the game though.

yeah, that's right. perhaps the best fix would be to make less years pass per turn, just like in the late game. (but it would be kinda weird to end up in the industrial revolution on 90BC)

Top Bottom