1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Capturing Enemy Cities

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by zoiks, Apr 28, 2008.

1. zoiks

zoiks Chieftain

Hi all,

This might be a bit of a basic question which I'll feel foolish for asking, but it stumps me. How do you see the contents of enemy cities? Particularly useful when you get the keep or raze box onscreen would be the ability to examine the city. Many's the time I've razed something with a wonder or a holy city.

2. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

simple answer: you don't

More complete answer: you have several ways to know that beforehand. The f9 and f7 screens, the graphics from the global view, espionnage.

Also, it should not be forgotten that when you take a city by force, some buildings never get razed (wonders, various academies), some are always razed (national wonders, culture-producing buildings), and the others have 66% of chance to be razed.

3. indovinello

indovinello Chieftain

This is cheating, of course, but I always save a game just before I capture a city in case I get buyer's remorse and decide it ought to be razed after all.

4. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

5. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Don't try this with projects (like Apollo) :rolleyes:

Since they are associated with the civilization and not with a city (once built) they do not have a graphic on the map.

6. zoiks

zoiks Chieftain

Thanks for the responses.

Have to say, I'm a little puzzled why there is no Examine City button when you take an enemy city, even if it just showed what buildings were there. Ho hum!

7. Nestorius

Nestorius Prince

Its really easy actually. The pictures of building in the Civipedia are the same as what you see in the regular view of an enemy city. Flying camera helps.

8. elerium

elerium Chieftain

If you have the Beyond the Sword expansion, you can also use the Espionage system to allow you to see what a city has before you capture it and have to decide if you want to raze.

You'll need a fair amount of espionage points devoted against the enemy to enable the passive effect of "investigate city", but you can set it so all your points go against one target you are fighting or planning to go to war with and it should eventually unlock.

Once enough points are accumulated, you can simply double click cities and get a screen exactly like one of your own city screens: see what tiles are being worked, what buildings it has, happiness levels, if any great persons are settled, etc.

9. Everest

Everest Warlord

Even if you don't have BTS, you can always build 2-3 spies and station them in the city for some turns. Not sure, but I belive it only takes 2 to be able to see the city screen.

10. zoiks

zoiks Chieftain

Thanks for the further replies. I have to be honest, I don't use espionage as much as I should...

I still can't see the reasoning of why once you capture a city you don't have instant access to its contents without having to use espionage points, but you've all given me good ideas of how to get what I want, so thank you!

11. Nares

Nares Emperor

It requires a certain amount of espionage point accumulation against the target. The number of spies is irrelevant; with the necessary EP amount (found in the espionage screen by clicking on the target leader's icon and checking the menu), you don't need any spies at all to peer into cities.

12. Cromm

Cromm Chieftain

And this is possible without BTS ?

13. Willem

Willem Deity

No it's not. That's one of the new additions of the expansion.

14. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Holy cities are marked on the city bar: that's what the little star means on the religion icon.

15. Everest

Everest Warlord

Yes, Narres, you're right. I shoud've made it more clear: BTS uses espionage points, etc for this. But if you're NOT playing BTS you can use spies to look into enemy cities.

16. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

So, you can bring up the city window with a spy in the city space then?