1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Collisions!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zarn, May 22, 2004.

1. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

(Really) Early this morning (3am US Eastern maybe but not sure), a drunk driver hit the car infront of my house (I guess it was a neighbor's friend's car), which it turn went about 2 cars in length up on to the grass and hit my car in the back right. Both of the hit cars were parked on the side of the street, of course. I didn't see the collision, but my brother told me the guy was going going 60 mph (speed limit of residental zone being 25 mph). The other car was totalled, but mine only suffered in the one spot (No more right brake light and frame was bent slightly). The drunk driver did take off, but was caught (my brother told me his car was messed up).

I have been in collisions as a passenger, and avoided close calls before while driving (one guy try to ram my car into opposing traffic :mad: What nerve!).

I just want to know why the drunk driver's can't even avoid parked cars... :p

Anyway, share your collision experiences.

2. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

My mom was dropping me off at a bus for a track meet. The light was green for us, but a taxi tried to make it and hit the front of our car. It knocked us completely out of the intersection, completely ruined the front of our car, and scared the **** out of me.

At least the insurance company is fixing our car for free.

3. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

I was driving to a wedding, and right before making it on to the highway, this idiot in a pickup rams us in the side. After a quick trip to the insurance agency, they inform us the car is fundamentally fine but not as aesthetically pleasing. So we drive to the wedding at 90mph to make up for lost time with a car with a dent all along the right side. The looks on the people's faces we passed were priceless.

4. cgannon64

Was the person driving the bride in the dress, and was she swearing like a sailor as she drove?

5. addiv

addiv Hero of our time

I was in a bus once where the driver was in a rather bad mood or something, and he hit a car that was waiting at the traffic lights from behind with 20 m/h or so. Needless to say, the passengers (two of whom were lightly injured!) of the bus and the car weren't exactly pleased with the driver.

6. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

The bride wasn't in our car, we were relatives to the groom.

7. crystal

crystal Scrooge

Cars should never have been invented. At least if humans are the drivers.

8. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

my car got hit on the side by a semi, It was scary as hell but we didnt tip and damage was minimal.

9. newfangle

newfangle hates you.

I made a left hand turn into a guy a year ago. It was extremely stupid of me, and I can't afford to drive anymore.

10. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

I was going somewhere with my aunt once, and we hit a deer.

11. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

About to leave a cab one morning on the way to high school on Friday, September 13th, 2002.

Traffic was backed up about 3/4 of the block with a red light, so my mother and I decided to walk to the subway at the end of the block and let the driver do what he needed to do. As I'm about to get out, the car gets slammed from behind by an SUV (and we were in.....I forget if it was a Town Car or a Crown Victoria). Since I was getting out, I was seatbelt-less. I went forward, my head hitting the roof, then into the window, and finally into the front seat before falling back.

I remember my mother getting into a confrontation with the driver of SUV, but I was in a lot of pain, didn't move. Someone in front of us that was in the Army managed to take down the plate number and give it to the driver and my mother.

I passed out, which is something I don't do easily. When I came to, the SUV was gone and an ambulance cleared the way and I was off to the hospital for much of the day.

My mother said that the SUV driver picked up debris off the road, said "Oh yeah, my daughter's hurt, too. Gotta take her to the hospital." and drove off, even though there wasn't anyone else in the car. Too bad, leaving the scene of an accident is a felony.

About a week later, I got a call from a detective of the 70th precinct saying that they tried contacting the guy, but all they got was an answering machine and there wasn't much they could do. Needless to say, I was pissed. Especially since the driver wasn't the owner of the SUV.

I got myself a severe concussion with some post-concussion syndrome after that. Plus, some muscle damage to my neck. My neck is actually slightly thinner now because of the lost muscle and the inactivity after it when I spent a lot of the next four months wearing a cervical collar (and went into a conflict with my English teacher who kept making idiotic remarks about it in the class like "It's people like you that make people like me pay so much in insurance." but that's another story). Also, I shattered a disk in my lumbar spine plus have another one bulging. In addition, I have some pinched nerves from that area going into my legs.

It messed up my chance for West Point because I still needed to take the physical exams. It also messed up whatever chance I had at passing two computer courses I had in senior year of high school because they sped so far ahead of schedule and refused to come up with any way for me to catch up. A low-speed collision, yes, but obviously at a red light with a lot of traffic and an SUV vs. a Lincoln isn't much of a match.

Bastards. And I got a disappointing settlement from the insurance company of whoever owned the vehicle.

12. newfangle

newfangle hates you.

If the guy doesn't answer his phone, how the hell does that prevent his arrest? Crazy...

13. The Yankee

Lazy cops...the good thing is...I have a copy of the police report. I know the address. :mischief:

But they gave up after a week, which is so dumb....especially given the felony.

14. Giotto

Giotto Eagle

My friends sister just got her license about a month ago.

On the 2nd day after getting her license, she crashed bad totalling the other person's car and severely damaging her own.

On the 2nd night after getting her car back from the shop, she totalled it again.

Her parents now make her pay for her own insurance. Pretty ridiculous.

15. cgannon64

:lol:

If that really works, then criminals who get caught really are complete idiots.

16. The Yankee

My precinct, the 63rd, isn't much better with laziness. I think they're complacent given that there aren't very many heavy-duty, serious crimes like murders going on. But this was the 70th, the same one where Abner Louima had his troubles.

17. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

What is the mimimum driving age in your state?

18. Civrules

Civrules We the People

I've shared this before, but about two years ago, an SUV hit our car (which had stopped at a red light) at about 40 MPH.
    I assume that she has had her foot on the gas because the SUV kept pushing our car and our car pushed the other two in front of us. The trunk of our car was almost like it was gone. From then to now, we have had a lot of close calls. Drivers these days are horrible.
    And just yesterday, I was coming back from school on the bus. It was around 2:15 pm and the weather was severe. It was extremely dark, lightning everywhere, strong winds, and lots of rain with huge drops. You could not see almost.
    The bus driver took us as close as possible to where I lived, and as he was making a right, a car was coming from his left (so he didn't see it) and we almost hit it (passed about one foot in front of the bus). I was standing in front telling him directions, so if he had hit the car, I would have went through the windshield.

And if I can point out that the past few weeks have been full of stormy weather, almost everyday. And today we are under a tornado watch until 8:00 pm.

19. Giotto

Giotto Eagle

16... although the first 6 months of having your license you aren't allowed to drive with anyone else in the car except immediate family.

20. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

Don't come to South Dakota; minimum age is 14.