Caravans/Freight

Woebearer

Warlord
This is an idea that I really liked from Civ2 and was sad to see it absent in C3 and C4. The greatly improved trade system made its main function obsolete, and the elimination of Wonder rushing in Civ3 put the nail in the coffin. But that doesn mean it should be buried completly. Of course it would need tweeking for Civ4, but I think it would add an interesting dynamic to the game.

Caravan:
Requires Currency (like we needed another reason)
Str - 0
Move - 2
Cost - 50 (f/p like Workers and Settlers)
Upgrades to Freight

Frieght
Requires Refigeration
Str - 0
Move - 2
Cost - 100 f/p

Production costs are just estimates, testing would be required to set actual amounts. F/P is used to allow both high production and high food cities to create these units.

These units would be placed in one of your cities. They would have the options of:

Food Supply Line: Generates 1 Food for 'current city' at the cost of X Food from 'originating city'.

Production Supply Line: Generates 1 Production for 'current city' at the cost of X Production from 'originating city'.

The X would be variable depending on which unit is used (Caravan would be higher than Frieght of course), and the distance from the originating city. A neighboring city would be a 1-1 trade for either unit, a city on another continent would be substantially higher.

Also, the Food/Production is taken away from the base F/P of the city, ie before multipliers such as Forge are applied or the storage effect from Graineries are calculated.

Now the kicker is that setting up these routes doesn't consume the unit, it mearly puts it into sleep mode. If you want to cut the route then you just instruct the unit to stop trading. Then you can either keep it there to turn on later, or you can move it to another city to send your supplies there.

This would give the player a great deal of flexibility in placing and improving their cities. This would lead to the ability to truely specialize cities.

For example, a food generating city could support a massive production city, which could in turn send supplies to help build projects all over your empire, or focus them in one city to help build important improvements quickly.

I like the idea of the trade unit just waking up instead of dieing like in civ1, it was something that annoyed me a ton.

But a crazy question, why would you want to upgrade and pay 200 gold to upgrade the unit? Would it make it more efficent in trade or what?

lost_civantares said:
I like the idea of the trade unit just waking up instead of dieing like in civ1, it was something that annoyed me a ton.

But a crazy question, why would you want to upgrade and pay 200 gold to upgrade the unit? Would it make it more efficent in trade or what?

Sorry, i didn't make that clear after I did some rewording... the Frieght would cut the X originating supplies needed to support the route by 1/2 (rounded up ;) )

I'm thinking a max on X for a caravan would be 6 and 3 on a freight. It would make it impractical to support a new colony this way without setting up a local supply infastructure, but you could use a few "old world" supplies to establish a foothold there.

Caravans were absent from Civ3, but have been brought back to Civ4 in a limited way. The Great Merchant is like the Civ2 caravan when it is used for its special ability. It's kind of fun to use it that way, but I'm glad the Civ2 caravan is basically gone.

The Civ2 caravan had a lot more options than Civ4 Great Merchant... ok, we can make a trade with an other civ leader, but it's not so accurate (civ2 caravans were meant for city-to-city trade), and we have no longer possibility to make a food supply nor helping the wonders' construction.

==> It's a pity that caravans were not reintroduced in Civ4. I think that a reason was given in the manual but I don't remember. I will see...

Top Bottom