Caribbean Question

I'm pretty sure it's north america, though I can't be certain.

I'm also pretty sure it counts as North America. I don't think it's South America because of Rhye's comment in this thread, where someone asks him whether or not 3 historical British cities can be built in South America, and he responds:
The Falkands and the Guyana region can host 3 cities
No mention of the Caribbean.

Meh, its been a while since I moaned about it, so I figure I'll do it again.

Rhye, can you make the Caribbean suck less? To quote 1759, written by Frank Mclynn, "The West Indies were widely perceived as a prize supremely worth fighting for, since sugar was the biggest business of eighteenth century colonial empires. In 1775 sugar made up one fifth of all British imports and was worth five times Britain's tobacco imports. What this meant was that to British ministerial minds, the West Indies was a more important area than North America and Britain's great leader in 1759, William Pitt, explicitly stated that he thought the French sugar island of Guadeloupe was worth more than the whole of Canada and that the West Indies were worth more than North America."

A few more points of interest:

-At the time of the Boston Tea Party, British imports from Jamaica were five times greater than from all the American colonies
-Nevis produced three times more British imports than New York from 1714 to 1773
-Antigua produced three times more than New England in the same time period

Trade between the American colonies and the British controlled West Indies was equally lucrative.

I'm not even touching on the value of the Spanish, Dutch, and French controlled islands, several of which were disgustingly valuable. The largest European fleets not stationed in the vicinity of Europe were invariably posted to the West Indies.

Make them suck less in the game, sheesh!

aeon, do you have any ideas? I don't think there's a whole lot that could be done without making the area too powerful. there's just not enough room.

the only thing I could think of that wouldn't severely alter the development of the area, might be to make many of the island flat/grasslands with sugar. A city built on such a tile would then get 3 food (instead of 2 hammers from one built on a hill/plain). Adding seafood would be problematic, and aside from other luxuries what could be done?

aeon, do you have any ideas? I don't think there's a whole lot that could be done without making the area too powerful. there's just not enough room.

the only thing I could think of that wouldn't severely alter the development of the area, might be to make many of the island flat/grasslands with sugar. A city built on such a tile would then get 3 food (instead of 2 hammers from one built on a hill/plain). Adding seafood would be problematic, and aside from other luxuries what could be done?

Dumping some jungles, making some of the islands a tad larger, and adding a couple of fishies.

Right now, settling in those areas is a loss leader. Unless you have some other reason for doing so, you're making a huge mistake.

they are only useful for the Dutch UHV at the moment. One should never settle them, maybe the aztecs....

Rhye, can you make the Caribbean suck less?

I've edited the map in my version of RFC a bit, I've just replaced that horrible mountain in Cuba with a hill and added a fish resourse next to Havana. Remember, if Rhye doesn't like a simple suggestion you posted, that doesn't mean you can't implement it in you private version of the mod!

Whenever the AI (France, England etc. are settling the area they are able to host cities with 12-13 population already in preindustrial times.

12-13 and almost all are water tiles means 26-28 pure commerce. That is not bad and a damn good reflection of the value of the West Indies. That you dont have production over there is true, but raw commerce you have availaible. Till today the WestIndies have a poor infrastructure (which is hampering them), but still good potential in terms of commerce (tourism etc) .

So I do not understand what has to be changed. The West Indies are represented quite properly ..

(Just for comparison, when you start settling Sibiria as Russia it is damn tough for you to reach a 24 commerce cap, despite cottage spamming and lots of rivers .. most of your Sibirian Cities give you a commerce of something between 6 and 16 at the same size (12) in preindustrial ages)

You also dont really need production because you can (and some would say should) be slave whipping for any building you need. They arent the sort of sites where you should be building units or related buildings in anyway. Lighthouse, courthouse and a few commercial buildings should be the lot. The moment you start building walls or forges your onto a wrong un. ;)

What if you aren't running slavery though??? The mountains in the carribean are just silly. There should be a sugar in cuba to, haven't you guys ever seen the film "Soy, Cuba"? There's sugar plantations everywhere in Cuba!

Unfortunately, in Civ, land is king, not resources. Even if you change the mountain tiles to grasslands with sugar, the best you can get is a city with 4 land tiles, none of which have any production. This remains a useless colony since you won't build plantations, you'll build forts to get the sugar resources. That means no food/commerce bonus.

I only see two ways of making the Indies more relevant. First is to make a West Indies corporation that would spit out gold for sugar/spices/cotton. Second is to make a horribly transmogrified Indies area that would make those colonies much more powerful and relvevant.

The moment you start building walls or forges your onto a wrong un.

The forge bonus is applied to the hammers produced from whipping.

This remains a useless colony since you won't build plantations, you'll build forts to get the sugar resources. That means no food/commerce bonus.

I do not get it. Why would I build forts instead of sugar plantations?
How could I reap sugar with a fort?

Is there something I missed?

Oh really?
Is that new?
Does that work with all resources?

Well that explains why a worker improves a tile out of reach for any city but with copper with a fort instead of a mine. Stupid me, it would not have been necessary to whip that poor fellow for it. Now I will have to make amends and grant him land or I will have to dump him in the harbor to cover up for my ignorance. Hmm ... land is scarce, the harbor is near ...

On the topic of adding new corporations, is it possible? The game is in dire need of some kind of exotic resources corporation for dye, sugar, incense and all that stuff

Top Bottom