1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Caribbean Sponsor (With trait and lore)

Discussion in 'CivBE - Requests and Ideas' started by Spess Jesty, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Spess Jesty

Spess Jesty Chieftain

I originally posted this on reddit, but got little to no attention. So I'm posting it here, because I have absolutely no modding knowledge and when I attempted to learn all I found was people talking about how messy the files are and how difficult it would be to mod.

I was pretty disappointed when Chungsu was revealed to be the fourth sponsor. I wanted a Caribbean sponsor (I'm biased though; I'm from the Caribbean). So I'm putting this out there for anybody to make my dream come true. Sorry for errors in grammar, syntax, and consistency. Public scrutiny will fix that.

The Caribbean Cooperative [Better name, anyone?]

Merchant Military:

Each occupied trade route produces 3/6/10 energy and gives a 5%/10%/15% production bonus to military units. (Can make planetfall at sea)

Unified Maelstrom

Most countries situated in the Caribbean had lost a considerable amount of land due to the rising sea levels, and the political, military, and socioeconomic crisis caused by the Great Mistake had made things even worse. Islands with no fresh water that relied on desalination plants lost the manpower to administrate said facilities, and as a result of this, countless of people died. Previous political unions, like that of Puerto Rico and the United States, were lost. All across the Caribbean, on the continent and on the islands, there was anarchy and destruction. Most governments were replaced with criminal gangs who controlled the scarce supplies of food, fresh water, medicine, and land.

Second attempt at Colonialism

Once the Great Mistake had settled and various superpowers were rising, the Caribbean states were still in disarray. The ARC, through the United States’ government, had set its sights on them. In an attempt to expand its territory and establish itself as the dominant superpower in the Americas, it sent agents to each country to acquire intelligence on every individual situation. Once they had the knowledge of what to do, they sent ships to the Greater Antilles with supplies and soldiers. Brasilia, once it had knowledge of this, sent its own forces to the Lesser Antilles. A standoff had begun between the two forces. Both wanted to take control of the other’s side of the Antillean islands. Expeditions were sent by both factions to Central America. There, small conflicts had taken place because of the introduction of opposing forces. However, officially, no war ever occurred between the USA and Brasilia.

International Overhaul

With the bribes from the neighboring superpowers, the Caribbean states were regaining stability. The peacekeeping forces had reduced the criminal activity, the medicine was improving the overall health, and massive infrastructure projects were being developed, such as lining the coasts with new water desalination plants and using said water for various vertical farms. The states were creating ties with their benefactors, but in a particular place, a new idea was born. In Puerto Rico, because of its location, was receiving relatively equal amounts of help from both factions. From here, nationalist rhetoric had dominated local politics. The leading political party, El Partido por la Fundacion del Nuevo Mundo (the Party for the Foundation of a New World) held the belief that the Caribbean should not subjugate itself to a new form of colonialism. The idea spread to neighboring states and quickly became popular all across the Caribbean.

A Third Player

When the ARC and Brasilia realized that the Caribbean states were now attempting to be independent, they ceased military support and financial aid. Instead, they tried to create trade partnerships while demonizing the other faction. The Caribbean states came together and formed the Caribbean Cooperative. The CC ignored the requests of its neighboring factions and instead formed trade deals with Franco-Iberia, and the People’s African Union. It also did research along with the North-Sea Alliance to reclaim lost territory. Naturally, it focused on having a large military to protect its trade vessels and a potential invasion from either ARC or Brasilia. In just a few decades, most of the cities in the CC were ARKs.

The Germinating Seed

Once the first wave of Seeding ships were launched, the relative economic and military power of the CC was greater than that of the neighboring superpowers. However, they did not attempt to extend their political power on Earth. Instead, they began their own Seeding project with the purpose of creating a failsafe. In the event of a new war in which the Caribbean states would be subjugated once more, their legacy would live on in the stars and potentially rescue them some time in the future.

Leader: Licensiado Emmanuel Lopez Ortiz

History:

He was born right after the Caribbean Cooperative finished structuring itself as an independent entity. His father, General Ricardo Leon Norman, was the officer that suggested that the military should take note from an axiom spouted by ARC employees all across the world: “Trade is the lifeblood of nations”. With his leadership, the military of the CC also became the largest trading firm in the Caribbean. His mother, a pediatrician, was appointed as Secretary of Health of the Greater Antilles. They raised Emmanuel to become a leader, and he lived most of his life in the public eye.

Early Life:

He served in the Merchant Navy at the age of 16 and took part in several trips to the Iberian Peninsula, and the North Sea. Several times, he participated in the defense of trade vessels under attack of pirates. By the age of 24, he rejected an offer to become captain of the Espada Dorada (Golden Sword), much to the surprise of his family and friends. Instead, he pursued a political career. He championed the idea of establishing more ARKs to grow the trade potential of the CC. Quickly, he became the most popular member in the Caribbean Parliament and, at the age of 35, the Prime Minister.

The Money Maker:

With his great political influence and leading position in parliament, he had his way. Even though most cities in the Caribbean Cooperative were already ARKs, he developed more, providing economic incentives to the brave families that would extend the arm of the CC. This cemented his grip on parliament even more, as the representatives of the ARKs tended to favor Lopez Ortiz’ proposals. He prepared his purse for when the first wave of Seeding ships were sent off to space. Right after the Seeding, most countries with borders to the Atlantic and Caribbean were in economic distress and had some sort of trade deal with the Caribbean Cooperative. Soon, the CC became everyone’s ally, even the former potential conquerors, ARC and Brasilia.

A Larger Sphere of Influence:

He said it was to create a failsafe for Caribbean culture, but that seemed very unlikely, because the CC was the dominant entity in the Americas. Some speculate he was craving for a challenge, or perhaps wanted to extend the mercantile empire. The result was, that by the age of 42, he revealed a top secret Seeding project to the public. Surprisingly, the public reacted positively. They trusted their dear PM, and he trusted them to be valuable partners in the Caribbean’s greatest expedition.

2. The_Cebador

The_Cebador Chieftain

Hey there! So, the idea for the sponsor is great, I really think we need more spanish-speaking (being from Argentina and all) sponsors in the game. I liked the story, it makes perfect sense that the Caribbean islands would be under agression from ARC and Brasilia, the only way for the CC to prosper being economic independence. As for the mod itself, I'm sorry that I can't help with the technical stuff, I'm clueless about modding e.e

3. Spess Jesty

Spess Jesty Chieftain

From what I understand, Brasilia is actually the capital of the Organization of the South-American States and is just called Brasilia because it's easier. So I'd assume that Argentina is in there. Then again, with a faction like INTEGR (a political party) I think it's possible to have factions from territory claimed by the 8 original sponsors.

Also, I think you can tell, but I'm from Puerto Rico and I think that due to our history (the "Key to the Americas" from its location) and interesting blend of culture (in simple terms, we're pretty much divided into two camps: Anti USA/pro Hispanic culture, and Pro USA) we'd be torn in the very middle in a conflict like in the OP.

4. The_Cebador

The_Cebador Chieftain

That's exactly why a conflict between these two powers fits in perfectly. For an Argentina mod I use Nuevos Aires, it's great and really fills that hole for me. So, i like the idea, if you need any help with any ideas or just simple feedback, I'll help.

5. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Hello there, did we met on Reddit ;) Welcome to the forum.

I would try reskin NSA in my Rising Tide Demo and do it for you, visually. You will need someone who can photoshop a leader pic, know how to handle CivBE messy art file and implementing ability.

What I can do is basically replacing texts and recolor civ via XML, which is pretty simple. and making an icon which is a bit more complex. But that's a good way to see how your dream look like, is it not? :)

6. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Leugi made a couple of very interesting Latin American sponsor mods, including the Caribbean Axis, for vanilla CivBE.

Not to dissuade you from doing your own thing, but perhaps you could get in touch with him and improve and update the notion of a Caribbean sponsor.

7. Spess Jesty

Spess Jesty Chieftain

@ The Cebador: I also completely forgot about the French-speaking countries in the Caribbean. If this ever comes true, I'd love to help with the fluff (because it's fun for the people who care it's amazing) and city names.
    @ poom3619: Unfortunately I have none of that. I'm willing to learn to do the technical stuff, once my uni exams stop destroying me.
    @ Lord Shadow: I had completely forgotten about that sponsor, I had only played it once because it felt ridiculously OP. I'll contact him soon.

8. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Then I propose to call this faction "Caribbean Allies" :lol:

@OP You should find someone who's able and willing to make leader picture for you. Research how it was done by other great modder (before they all decide they better mod Civ5) should help.

BTW, This is my visual alpha version of this thread's Caribbean along with result of playing in biome you're not suppose to... in German

City name I write in so far : La Respiracion, Airport Royal and words in Haitian Creole and Dutch.

9. Spess Jesty

Spess Jesty Chieftain

I like the color. That's the same Sweden uses in CiV, right?
    I have a friend who's a professional artist but I really don't like calling him for favors. Sure, childhood friends and we still talk, but I'll see what I can get him to do.

10. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Not really Sweden. I used what the game called "Light Blue" on "Dark Lemon". Making a good match of color is drastically harder compared to Civ5 due to how shading in city name and icons works in BE.

BTW, You could try to contact artist that done Nuevos Aires Coalition's artwork. They might be more open to CivBE request compared to your childhood friend :)

11. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

The Coalition's leader art is a mixture of the work of (credited) DeviantArt artists, TPangolin (base collage and low affinity variants) and myself (high affinity variants). Crafting suitable leader art is pretty difficult, and that's part of the reason I suggested collaborating with Leugi. His Caribbean Axis' leader is gorgeous. :D

Also, "The Breathing" for a city name?

And I dislike that Kitchen Table biome. :p

12. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Well, but your leader art is the best I saw so far. I really wonder about the process of making him and how it turn out to be so great. :)

I like to convey the sense of collective "We are not dead" to superpower. I am having little idea about city name. Also, we are lacking great Spanish city names if you ask me.

13. Spess Jesty

Spess Jesty Chieftain

Names like "La Gloria", "La Conquista", "Primer Paso", "Gran Alivio" sound good to me for a capital.

14. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I do want to have Santiago de la Vega as a BE city name for some reason. :)

BTW, Do you mind a city named Thunderheart?

PS. Actually, give me a list of 20 cities for this faction and it will be in game in no time.