Caricaturized leaders in the game...

Do you like caricaturized leaders or do you prefer standard looking (realistic) ones?

• Yes, I do prefer standard (realistic) leaders.

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • No, I like the way the are (caricaturized).

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 53 31.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
personally I dislike most of the leaders other than Teddy, and Hojo, Monty is also okay. but the other leaders look ugly, this is my personal opinion, Iv'e seen the Civ III leaders and the current leader style their using makes me think of those.

They aren't caricaturized, they are cartoony, and that's standard for Civilization games. Only Civilization V had move towards more realistic leaders. And, honestly, Civ5 leaders had anatomy problems, which looked really bad on the attempt to make them realistic.

Voted second even though the wording of the poll is totally incorrect.

Personally I want both. It could be nice if there is something like an option to change it. Sometimes I want to see their true faces. Sometimes I want to see Firaxis' views by making it strange and weird ways such as American's big face and Qin's overly strange face for me to make me laugh.

I also think the true purpose that Firaxis make the caricaturized style is to make the people wonder about the leaders' true appearances. It makes me wonder about leaders like Roosevelt and Hojo true identity. Maybe it just for me though. But I guess they have to remove caricaturized style anyway or they could make controversial issues even they make an exaggerate head size of Roosevelt.

This poll is very unfairly worded.

Probably I should not have added the words "yes" and "no".

I should have worded the poll like this.

"Do you prefer realistic leaders in the game? or"
"Do you prefer caricaturized leaders in the game?"

Answers:

"I prefer realistic leaders in the game"
"I prefer caricaturized leaders in the game"
"I don't care"
"Other"

Probably I should not add the words "yes" and "no".

You should also not call realistic "standard". Whose standard is it? Standard for the video game industry? Standard for art? Standard for Civilization?

Also, you need an "other" option. Some people might want to explain "I like option A [here] and option B [here]", but currently they have to pick one or the other, which skews your results. You want them to pick "other" and then explain their opinion in the thread.

What Asian stereotype did Suryavaryman resemble? Something racist like yellow skin? I remember people used to call him 'lizard man' because his skeen was almost green, so even if it was intended to appear as a racist stereotype, it actually ended up looking even more bizarre!👹

Hmm, you're right, I'm not sure "stereotype" is the right term for Suryavarman's monstrous appearance in Civ IV. But he definitely doesn't look at all human! "Lizard man" and "alien freak" are about right.

Civ 5 had some stiff plastic dolls like Catherine and Washington, cool ones like Genghis and Theodora and some comic book characters like Kamehameha. I like Civ 6 leaders with more life in them. (dont like Montys design though).

Lol, this is a chapter from the book "How to make a biased poll".

So I'm not going to vote. But I'm completely fine with cVIs art style and leaders.

I have a strong preference towards the Cartoony art style of Civ 4 (Catherine slapping you, Gilgamesh pulling you closer, Pacal having an on-screen anxiety attack when Furious, etc), so this art style is more than fine with me. It wasn't JUST the art style itself though what made Civ 4 diplomacy great to me however, it was the synergy between the animations and the diplo-music.

Civ 5's style is much prettier but the lack of personality meant I was always less inclined to engage in diplomacy (not that the game offered many options to negotiate anyway).

Civ 6 appears to be a hybrid between the two and I'm fine with that. I love especially how it all appears to synergize with historical agenda's and in-game behaviour. The backgrounds are basic as heck tho.

Reminds me more of the older games that had more tongue in cheek humor to them. Its entertaining and I miss it a little. Thumbs up.

I like the more stylized caricature of civ 6 tbh, as long as it conveys the historical feel. Part of why I dislike Monty's clothing so much on 6 is that he looks like a carnival dancer. Imagine if they had applied the same idea to Tomyris, she'd look like wonder woman.

To me the more realistic leader screens of civ5 were incredible concept art, and I'd rather they had stayed concept art, I like the civ6 approach better, of focusing on character animation.

I had to answer "I don't care" simply because I like both approaches. Civ 6 presents a near-perfect blend of Civ 4's zany and genuinely funny leaderheads with Civ 5's stoic and somewhat grandiose appearance. Just like the game seems to marry the concepts and mechanics of both of its predecessors whilst adding something new, the leader art style follows suit perfectly.

It depends how caricaturized but sinse the first pics, I totally love this style and voted "No, I like the way the are" They look awsome.

Civilization is an entertainment product, with historic sensibilities, so +1 to caricatures all the way.

I'd say a little more realism for Qin and Pedro would be great, the others are great as they stand, especially Tomyris. Can't bother much about Montys appearance since I won't See his Screen much while playing him ;)

Top Bottom