Carriers can't carry Stealth Bombers!

revelation216

NQ Civilopedian
:mad:

So I've taken all the capital cities except one, and it's Egypt who have an island all to themselves. I've got 2k points, they have 1500, and it's 1991. I've got stealth bombers and their entire island, every square is covered by a unit. In talks with Rameses, his status is AFRAID (he should be, I've nuked him 5 times).

Trouble is, THEBES has a city strength of 87, which coupled with a few AA guns means I can't really make any impression with Bombers. I need to spend a ridiculous amount of resources to invade. I've lost all my former Samurai (became Mech Inf) who were at least level 3. Pro tip btw: barracks + armory + samurai = Shock III, so next level = attack twice or heal every turn!

And now I've got Stealth Bombers I thought I could send in a few dozen air strikes with those, but his island is too far away and I can't put them on carriers.

IMO: Stealth Bombers should be allowed on Carriers!!!!!!

I guess I have to keep nuking and land 10 Giant Death Robots on there to take care of him.

I don't mind the restriction; Stealth Bombers are powerful enough as they are, I think. If your opponent is able to hide themselves away that well, good on 'em.

You could try to take one of the smaller Egyptian cities, move the stealth bombers there.
Or you could try using nukes or cruise missiles from a sub or missile cruiser.

any CS's on his island....you could friend them and go with GDR's instead.

Have you ever seen the size of a stealth bomber. It would be unrealistic (even for a game) for them to be on carriers.

Have you ever seen the size of a stealth bomber. It would be unrealistic (even for a game) for them to be on carriers.

True, but the opperational range on a B-2 is around 11,000 Km. The Earth is around 40.000 IIRC, so that should be almost half war around the map, a quater in each direction.

True, but the opperational range on a B-2 is around 11,000 Km. The Earth is around 40.000 IIRC, so that should be almost half war around the map, a quater in each direction.

Standard size is 40.000 ;)

B2 Stealth Bomber runway length needed for takeoff: 6500 ft.
Average Carrier Runway: 1000 ft.

How many times have players encountered a minor problem or inconvenience in Civ5, and posted it on the forums and insisted that it should be changed to help them?

Firstly, even if Firaxis read these forums and took our advice for improving Civ5, they wouldn't do it in time to help the OP with his current playthrough -- so suck it up.

Second, Stealth Bombers should not be based on Carriers. It's unrealistic and it's unfair. The B2's wingspan is 172 ft; the width of a Nimitz-class super-carrier at its widest point is 250 ft, but less than half of that can be used to launch or land aircraft. Also, the B2 can't fit inside the carrier.

It would be more reasonable to request that Stealth Bombers be given increased or unlimited range, since they could be refueled in mid-air and strike anywhere in the world.

Regardless, limited aircraft ranges are a good idea. It would be unfair to allow players to bomb the hell out of an enemy civ from half a world away.

Besides, you can use warships, including Nuclear Subs and Missile Cruisers armed with Guided Missiles, to bombard enemy units and cities near the coast and clear a landing zone for an invasion army. Then simply capture an enemy city and base your aircraft there.

I ended up using a couple of nuclear subs to send more nukes timed with 3 GDRs landing after the fallout. That decimated their armies and it was a clear path to Thebes. I used carrier-based non-stealth bombers to whittle down Thebe's health to nothing. It took way too long to execute and I lost a lot of other units attempting other plans.

Game won on 2030 AD, just over 3k points and a Caesar rating.

End of game Achievements:
Domination Victory
King Victory
Victory w/ Japanese
Loot Egyptian City with Burial Tomb

Forum Challenge: Beat the Egyptians before 2030.

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga_0411 AD-1991.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
Load up Missile Cruisers with Guided Missiles and blast the city to pieces, then land some troops and capture it. :)

I find that the Cruise Missiles do 1 damage per hit. So at most I'm gonna do 6 damage, but I'm spending 6ish turns on each missile. Not really worth it?

The cruiser ships are good though. 2 of them, 1 destroyer, 1 battleship, and a carrier is easily protected.

Second, Stealth Bombers should not be based on Carriers. It's unrealistic and it's unfair. The B2's wingspan is 172 ft; the width of a Nimitz-class super-carrier at its widest point is 250 ft, but less than half of that can be used to launch or land aircraft. Also, the B2 can't fit inside the carrier.

Seriously, this. A quick google search will reveal that stealth bombers do not launch from carriers in real life. It's not possible.

Oh noes...a challenge requiring you to formulate a strategy to resolve! What heinous nonsense is this in a strategy game?!

There are plenty of alterntive solutions. Missile boats, nuke subs, land based invasion, attacking something closer...

A carrier with 3 highly promoted bombers should have done the trick also without nuclear fallout.

The OP had plenty of other options for accomplishing the scenario's objectives than needing carrier-based Stealth Bombers, or nukes.

Last night I finished my playthrough as England and achieved a Domination Victory on a Large Continental map. I had to take Inca's land-locked capital, which was protected by Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry in every other tile in their territory.

I had Nuclear Missiles that I could've used against the Inca, but they were earmarked for the Mongols because they had dared to drop an A-bomb on one of their own cities after I captured it.

I didn't need to nuke Inca because I had about a dozen veteran land units, another dozen veteran warships (all with +1 Range and land attack promotions), air dominance, plus about 20 cruise missiles (which were much easier to transport around the map than land units). I declared war, obliterrated every enemy unit in range of my warships and rushed tanks and choppers to their capital. The next turn I hammered their capital and captured it without a single unit lost.

Nukes and Stealth Bombers are fun, but they're not necessary to achieve a Dom Victory.

Another tactic- if there is a tiny little island within stealth-bomber range of your opponent, even just a 1-tile guano-farm island, you can plop a settler on it and instantly have a perfect bomber base. A stealth bomber can travel an incredible distance one-way, to go land on your new base. You can even make a couple of these quickie bases, if the distance is too far for one hop. There are usually islands out there to use for this, if you search around. Saipan + Iwo Jima = B29's over Tokyo.

Nuclear missiles (not bombs) wipe out units completely. If you say the island was covered, I am thinking two or three missiles would have reduced his armies to zero and his city to zilch. You could have send in a scout at this time. Also, Nuclear missiles cost 1410 (at marathon, I don't remember the standard price), so buying them up in one round shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, there's many options to finish the game. Stealth bombers not needed.

Nuclear missiles (not bombs) wipe out units completely. If you say the island was covered, I am thinking two or three missiles would have reduced his armies to zero and his city to zilch. You could have send in a scout at this time. Also, Nuclear missiles cost 1410 (at marathon, I don't remember the standard price), so buying them up in one round shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, there's many options to finish the game. Stealth bombers not needed.

Warships and aircraft are far more practical than nukes because they're not one-use-only weapons.

In my last playthrough, I was England, so I rushed to Navigation, built ~8 Ships of the Line, and used them to dominate the seas and bombard enemy cities. Even if I wasn't planning to capture a city, I'd bombard it for the XP. By the end of the game I had upgraded them to Destroyers and every one of them had Logistics and +1 Range, so I could bombard any city with impunity. I used them to bombard enemy lands units and clear beach heads for seaborne invasions, and support my land units near the coast.

I also had 3 Battleships (4 Range and Logistics), 3 Carriers, 3 Missile Cruisers, 2 Nuclear Subs, 10+ Jet Fighters, 8 Bombers, 2 Stealth Bombers, and ~20 Cruise Missiles to project firepower further inland.

Regarding buying nukes, IMO they shouldn't be purchaseable -- I have a rule that I won't buy nukes because it's unfair.

Top Bottom