1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Carrying a Mid-Tower Case With Plane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by muhtesem insan, Oct 5, 2016.

1. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to Prague at the end of month, and would like to bring my PC with me. Unfortunately when i was buying this PC i was not planning to move abroad and bought a Mid Tower Case (this one to be exact) and it's too big for hand baggage. So I'll need to give it to regular baggage. I am planning to buy a huge luggage case and putting my case on it and wrapping it with styrofoam and clothes, and putting a fragile sticker on case (not that i think it'll make a difference).

Shipping it seperately would be expensive so it's off the table, I thought of selling the case and buying a laptop but for second hand prices i can get for my pc the laptops i could buy were really crappy and i am tight on a budget to pay extra for computer atm.

So guys do you think this is a sound plan? If not do you have a better one? Or at least remarks about how to do this. (such as remove hard drive (which i will do)).

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Your computer will, in all likelihood, be damaged beyond repair if you ship it intact. Yes, even if it's marked as fragile. You'll want to take apart everything and separately package them.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I've shipped assembled computers before, it's been fine. Take off the heatsink if it's a heavy aftermarket one, or it's liable to rip off the motheboard. Remove any platter HDDs and carry them on your person.

I'm skeptical that the additional cost of buying luggage and paying to bring that luggage on a plane is cheaper than just shipping it in its original box. Plane baggage handlers also tend to be very rough with baggage.

4. timtofly

timtofly One Day

However you ship/take it with you, before you power it on, make sure all cables are snug, and any circuit boards are re-seated in their slots. That will help avoid any mishaps when power is applied to the unit.

5. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Do you have to fly.

You have more control over the box on a train or coach but Turkey to the Czech Reo would take a day or so.

6. Spidernova

Spidernova Warlord

If nothing else, take out the Mobo, cpu, gpu, etc, and package them outside of the case. I'm sure you can get anti-static bags somewhere.

7. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

I have already plane luggage rights with plane so i won't be paying extra money for plane transfer. And all international shipments for that size is really expensive (with exception of Turkish Postal Service but i wouldn't trust with them on anything they've lost my stuff before)

I haven't thought of that but apparently there's not a direct line to prague from istanbul, and it would take 2 days. Most importantly considering that i bought plane tickets already shipping would be cheaper option than this. If only i thought of this before.
    I think this is much more safer. I could even get a cheap case there. I'll be visiting home at christmas and could bring empty case then.

8. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

why you have to travel with PC in the first place? This is so costly...
    After what is done is done, just ship harddisk separately