Cash

Cash or no

• Cash

Votes: 72 60.0%
  • No cash

Votes: 48 40.0%

• Total voters
Credito Cardo, but I believe strongly in cash.

Cash is great for:
Hiding purchases from people who read your bank statements.
Buying contraband.
Getting work done that you don't want to be traceable.
Showing off.

Cash is not so good for:
Gambling, you still have an ATM Card after you run out.
Tipping, you don't always have the size you want for exact change.
Large purchases, you could get knocked off.
Laundry, Bills are surprisingly laundry tolerant, but they smell funny afterwards
Writing Paper. Phone numbers of attractive people. Lose more numbers that way.

I don't think you know what save means. :p

Nah, I pay for things I need (tuition, college textbooks, gas) on credit and I get a % back.

It's still not technically saving. It's spending while earning a small percentage back. "The more you spend the more you save!" is a salespitch. The only way spending is saving is if you get 100% back.

Not saying it's not good to get cash back & be one of the few smart enough to actually profit of the CC companies instead of going overboard, just saying it's not saving.

It's still not technically saving. It's spending while earning a small percentage back. "The more you spend the more you save!" is a salespitch. The only way spending is saving is if you get 100% back.

Not saying it's not good to get cash back & be one of the few smart enough to actually profit of the CC companies instead of going overboard, just saying it's not saving.

It is saving if you'd spend the money anyway.

And I'm not going to bother looking up stats for the US, because they probably aren't good, but in Canada, it's a relatively small minority of people who carry a balance on their credit card, most people pay them off every month and don't pay any interest.

I buy pretty much everything on credit, unless I can negotiate a discount with cash, in which case I do that.

It is saving if you'd spend the money anyway.
Studies show that people end up spending more on average when using plastic vs. cash.

Sure you have certain needs like food & schoolbooks but when using cash you're more aware of your overall spending (at least the average person is) and also when you're got a limited, tangible stash of cash you're more likely to be crafty about the way you spend (buying books 2nd hand from upperclassmen for example or chipping in $2 for pizza instead of ordering a pie yourself and then trying to get people to split it with you).

Of course general statistics doesn't necessarily prove anything in Godwyn's particular case, just saying.

A surprising number of businesses in New Orleans do not accept plastic or checks. I also have to cross a toll bridge every day to get home from work, so I've started to carry at least 5 bucks in my wallet, whereas before, I never carried any cash. ,

I still do most of my purchases on credit. I have a balance on my account (which sucks, but given my personal situation, it was the only option). Carrying large amounts of cash in this city just isn't safe.

(buying books 2nd hand from upperclassmen for example or chipping in $2 for pizza instead of ordering a pie yourself and then trying to get people to split it with you).

I download books using internet I pay for with credit, and make my own pizza with ingredients I get 10% off as a student, and 5% cashback with credit. :smug:

A surprising number of businesses in New Orleans do not accept plastic or checks.

I'm amazed that anywhere still accepts cheques, they're horrible in pretty much every respect. I don't have a chequing account, and expect to never require one.

Although I purchase almost everything on credit, I don't mind places not accepting credit. It cuts out the 3% middleman cut in the credit card company, and should theoretically get me lower prices.

A fair number places in Canada take debit, but not credit, since the processing fees are lower. However I generally opt for cash over debit, as debits card don't get me any rewards or cashback, and are more of a hassle than credit cards when they get compromised. (And if you regularly use debit/credit, you very likely will get your info compromised eventually)

Although I purchase almost everything on credit, I don't mind places not accepting credit. It cuts out the 3% middleman cut in the credit card company, and should theoretically get me lower prices.

I'm not sure about the exact figure [of the middleman's cut], but unfortunately there aren't very many, if at all, retailers that have a scheme to give the savings back to the customer for using cash instead of credit. :(

I always carry cash. Partly because I'm too young to own a credit card, partly because I get paid in cash, but mostly because I've forgotten what the pin number for my key card is.

If I have enough cash I'll pay with that, but normally I don't carry more than £10 on me, which is enough for food but not enough for CDs or clothes or whatever else I feel like buying.
I don't even pay for food with a £10 note any more. I pay by debit card if I can and only by cash if I absolutely must, need to get rid of change, or need to make change. I also don't buy anywhere near as many CDs as I evidently used to when I was in university (thanks to the internets). The only place I have to use cash is at the pub or a club, but I hardly go to clubs any more, and if I go to the pub it's usually with work people, who are all too keen to show how generous they are by buying everyone drinks. I can't remember the last drink I bought for myself at a pub....

So cash.

Why would you need to balance your chequebook when not using cheques?
ok, I'll give this one more go before I assume you're being obtuse. :)

In the US when people say "balance their checkbook" they mean, essentially, to do their personal accounting. So, I can either take out $80 on Sunday to spend for the week of eating out, picking up the random groceries or two, and other small expenses and have ONE item in my "checkbook" or I can have 15 entries over the course of the week.

Easy decision to make.

Sorry if I'm missing the point here - I don't do personal accounting for a reason I'll get to in a minute. But you won't having 15 entries in your Outgoings column make it easier to account for where you've spent your money? I mean, if it just says $80 on Sunday for everything, you won't know whether you spent too much on eating out and not enough on gas for the rest of the month, etc etc. All you'll know is that you spent $80. But if you have 15 entries for everything, you'll know exactly what you spent, what you spent it on, and when you spent it. To me, if I did personal accounting, I'd want to know that.

But the reason why I don't do personal accounting is because I buy everything on my debit card, so everything I buy's listed on my statement. So while I won't know whether I bought tomatoes or cigarettes with the £2 I spent at the store, I'll know that I bought something there for £2.

Anyway I guess I'm missing something here, since I've never done it myself.

Small shop keepers and traders typically have to pay
the credit card company aboutr 2.5% of their sale and
also get stung by stolen cards, so it is more polite
to pay them in cash. And IMHO if in queue, it is quite
rude to insist on paying for a small item by credit/debit.

So cash is for pubs, small restaurants, shops, taxis.

Plastic cards are for paying corporates, who can hire
accountants to undertake their tax avoidance/evasion.

Anyway I guess I'm missing something here, since I've never done it myself.

Most people check their credit card statement to see if they are
being charged for something they did not order because either the
credit card company has screwed up or there has been fraud.

There is more work in this if they made numerous small transactions.

Top Bottom