1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Castle in Civ6 Alpha version

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lonecat Nekophrodite, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Chieftain

I've saw in Well of Souls page (too bad it's edited), it is said that there's a building for City Center called 'Castle' in Alpha versions. seen as either a capitol building (Palace) for city states and appears to be buildable anywhere except the capitol city (where Palace always is).
    1. What was its (intended) in game functions. Did it provides any training speeds or XPs for any units trained there? did it provides ranged attack once it's build?
    2. And now it became only Technology, what and when did Firaxis decided to exclude it entirely? was it due to the inceptions of District concepts (and specifically) Encampments?

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

"BUILDING_CASTLE" is the medieval walls.

Icicle likes this.
  3. Lonecat Nekophrodite

So it becomes Medieval rather than a 'castle' that located in the middle of city center by the alpha version ?

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I don't know what was the initial plan, but they also did a late/similar renaming on the "Star Fort", which is now the Renaissance Walls.

Icicle likes this.
  5. Lonecat Nekophrodite

^ And the graphic representations of the Renaissance Walls are no where representing actual Star Forts. maybe there's wall plot issues I think.

6. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

The second level of Walls in Civ V was called Castle. Likely, they just copied the name from there. Then again, Civ V had Arsenal as the third level, rather than Star Fort.

In any case, the names were probably changed to be less specific to particular cultures. Walls were basically universal. Star Forts weren't.

7. Lonecat Nekophrodite

OK because not all cannon-armed forts and city walls are made as Star Forts (particularly here in Thailand. Star Forts came with French Trading Posts and Konstantin Phaulkon, only two such forts did known to exists here as what I've known... First, ones that's actually a part of Lopburi city (Louvo in Civ 6 since Khmers founded the city... and pretty much of Ayutthayans (And their monarches) are either khmer descendants or spoke ancient khmers, which made it ways to Royal Court vocabulary in modern Thai language), constructed per orders of King Narai (and his westward policy, through Phaulkon). The second was purely french constructions, later became Thonburi city, now Royal Thai Navy HQ, (While Thonburi keeps expanding itself along with (And as a part of) modern Bangkok.

And thus this makes Civilopedia descriptions of Renaissance Walls rather incorrect.... What ACTUALLY makes Renaissance Walls if sharp pointed bastions (Star Forts) aren't neccessary making such (Even though it was proven to be superior to thickened Medieval Walls armed with arrays of cannons and mortars)?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

They probably went with ancient/medieval/renaissance walls for clarity as well.

If you were playing civ5 for the first time and saw the word "arsenal" it'd be very understandable to think that they were a military training building and not actually a defensive building.

9. Lonecat Nekophrodite

One of many spoofs in Civ5. in that game Arsenal and Armory are separate buildings (while in truth both serves the same or similar functions, to store, create, and maintain weaponry (and maybe ammo).
    evenmore spoofs (yet more reasonable) was that Military Base (this one should also serves as training facility as well too bad). is a final upgrades of city defense in Civ5, while in Civ6 the building became Encampment district, serving both as training grounds and (with walls of any form) fortifications.

Did 'Renaissance Walls' are better represented by Cannon Towers of any shape and including Cannon Towers from Warcraft setting?

10. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Man, I wish we were building Castles rather than Medieval and Renaissance Walls. That would be so much fine.

Likewise, I wish we could building Walled Districts from the Medieval Era, a bit like the unique district in the Black Plague scenario. They could maybe work a bit like early Neighborhoods.

I guess I’d just like a bit more infrastructure overall...

Caprikel and Uberfrog like this.