1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat declawing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sherbz, Jun 7, 2019.

1. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

So after doing a bit of reading i discovered that declawing a cat is fairly common in America. And recently certain states have moved to ban the practice:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/...wFKIjR9-vPvYIJbJ3BMhJlB2C7yWR1_MGzL1_P7VbzBww

I can say that i have never knowingly met anyone, cat or otherwise, where this practice is applied (in the UK). And can i also say that i find this practice morally abhorrent - even though i am not usually one for fawning over cute little kitties (although i do love and own cats). Its like forcefully removing all the fingers from your pet - its not their nails you are removing - its their fingers. Is there anyone willing to justify this practice? To me thats a bit like trying to justify FGM. And i wanted to know if my moral compass was out of whack.

Manfred Belheim and Valka D'Ur like this.
  2. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

It's pretty messed up and completely illegal around here.

3. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Its illegal here too (UK). But to my knowledge the practice was never widespread when it was banned. The ban basically sealed the deal and made vets liable for prosecution if they carried out the procedure.

4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I'd go with these snazzy attachments instead :lol:

shadowplay and Peuri like this.
  5. Peuri

Peuri Game

People who do this to their cats would be better off buying a stuffed animal. They obviously don't want a cat, but something cute and fluffy. Cats are neither. Cats are parasitic sociopathic murderers. Even their motions resemble the ones of the girl from the Ring. And that's a scientific fact. Ask any felinologist.

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I've been declawed. As a person who has been declawed, I can say with certainty that the pain of it never really stops. You get used to it. But the pain never really stops. I was declawed in 1984. It is now 2019. The pain never really stops.

It's cruel to do this to an animal.

tjs282, Lexicus, hobbsyoyo and 2 others like this.
  7. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

petkeeping is such a difficult topic. having an outdoor cat is nice for the cat, but devastating for any wildlife around it. de-clawing a cat is elaborate torture, but many USAians apparently see it as either a necessity or not as a cruelty.

the whole idea of supporting an industry that breeds (puts actual beings into existance, think about that for a sec)millions of animals just so we can have a companion whenever we like, is in and of itself kinda screwed up the longer you think about it.

Owen Glyndwr and Birdjaguar like this.
  8. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

I have 2 rehomed cats. And to my knowledge cats are rarely bred - certainly not like dogs. Plus i think they like living with us - we have a shared history stretching back around 4,000 years or so.

9. Peuri

Peuri Game

Is it though? Humans have uplifted a few species to a status they could have hardly achieved without human intervention. Presently there are more cows, pigs, dogs, cats, chickens, etc. etc. experiencing cowness, pigness etc. than there could be without humans. For our companion animals, even though we use them for our ends, partnering up with humans might not have been such a bad evolutionary strategy. Sure it is a kind of a slavery, but when I look at my dog, I don't think her being a slave really bothers her all too much. She just wants her treat. And a belly rub.

Socrates99 likes this.
  10. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

The whole concept is repulsive and should be banned. Even if not actively illegal, it should considered unethical and so enforced by professional veterinary groups.

J

Cutlass likes this.
  11. yung.carl.jung

in which way have we uplifted them, and how do we even begin to assess whether the animals in question feel "uplifted" or not?

there are more animals experiencing suffering than ever before on earth. even those that are not in captivity suffer through us, and even those that don't suffer through us simply suffer as any semi-conscious being does. I don't see a single thing good about there being more animals alive.

there is also the huge problem with biodiversity and the disgusting fact that we're on our way to obliterate almost all of the diversity in ANY captive species, and even in most grown plants. the fact that these living beings are bred and selected only in terms of their economic gain means that every species that isn't deemed "optimal" by capitalism will inevitably die.

just an example: there are over 1000 edible kinds of bananas. insane variety. however 99% of all bananas that are exported are cavendish bananas. almost 50% of all bananas produced in the entire world are. now it turns out when you have extremely low biodiversity in your crops it is very susceptible to illness, like an overbred dog. now half the global bananas supply is threatened by a fungus (a strain of the fungus Fusarium oxysporum cubense that lives in the soil, is impervious to pesticides, and kills banana plants by choking them of water and nutrients.) and many people have lost everything they had because their plantations died down. only the multinationals could keep alive.

This I will agree with completely, as an evolutionary strategy it was very effective for the very few species we did end up adopting.

I also agree with this, in fact if animals had some kind of preference (I'm not sure they do) then I'd conclude that most animals would rather live in comfort and belly-rub heaven than be faced with constant threat and hunger in the wild. That's not really what I was getting at. For example I think Valka's cat must be one of the happiest animals on the planet (again, if that's even a thing, I don't think so).

what I was getting at is not the pets POV, but the humans. imagine a couple so bored with their lives, they decide to have kids just to be entertained, to have something going on, to not be so lonely anymore. I don't care about whether it works out or not, I care about the intentions, and they are clearly wrong. you shouldn't have a kid because you're bored with yourself and have nothing going on, you should have a kid because you want to raise a kid. well.

but most often the point of the pet is not to grow as a person while you're raising it, to provide it with the best life possible, to secure a better future for the world, to pass down what you've learned, to help continue the species, to produce a working member of society, or any other (semi) legitimate reasons as to why we have children: It's often because you're feeling kinda lonely and you want company. or because having a dog might make you more active. or because you think the chihuahua looks really cute with your new bag. they are almost exclusively selfish reasons.

also, just on a side note, too, a more pragmatic comment: don't buy pets. just get them from a shelter. or from craigslist. or from someone whose animal surprisingly have birth. the whole idea of raising even more sentient beings in order to stuff them into cages until someone decides to buy them, while others already alive are starving for any kind of attention and love, is just horrible.

sorry if I come off as aggressive or belligerent or something, I'm really not. I'm actually really thankful for giving me this opportunity to rant :D

you referring to petkeeping with this statement?

if so, what are your reasons for it and are they similiar to mine?

12. Narz

Narz keeping it real

The cat I have now (who I inherited from a roommate who moved out) was previously declawed by my ex-roommate's mother. It's sad. I would never do that to a cat.

What?

13. Cutlass

This is what declawing a cat is. You can't stop a nail claw from growing. You have to remove the finger toe that it grow from. Declawing a cat is removing the toe past the last knuckle.

It. Hurts.

14. yung.carl.jung

that's ****** ** man, I'm horribly sorry. who could even do something like that to another human being.

15. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

thats a bit messed up - but in some ways this just demonstrates the point more - declawing a cat is far worse than that photo (not to demean it in any way - looks rough). We are talking actual fingers here not just nails.

16. Cutlass

Well, it was an accident in my case. But that only makes the doing of it on purpose worse.

17. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Ours are declawed. I don't like it but they're getting old and we've kept them in relatively good health. I always figured since it was either or and we got them from kill shelters it was a relative win. I'd make the other choice anymore, which seems generally in line with the morality of euthenmercy that's mainstreaming.

18. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Damn dude. I'm sorry. :/

Cutlass likes this.
  19. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Just use a nail clipper and clip off the sharp ends of the claws by a few mm
    Help reduce the number of bird deaths

I also find it amusing that a Libertarian is for the banning and government enforcement of what people do with their own cats.

20. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Trimming nails is one thing. Declawing involves removing entire knuckles. It should be banned as cruelty to the animal, if not by law then by professional ethics.

J

Birdjaguar likes this.