1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Catalonia to vote on independence 9/11/2014

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JohannaK, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Silurian

Silurian Deity

@Thorgalaeg
    Well Franco's troops did not stop at Barcelona. They carried on north to the French border at which point Catalonia had fallen, about two weeks after Barcelona.

2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

@Silurian, The central point of the article is about how badly the French treated the republican refugees from Spain I think. which was disgraceful. BTW, some ancestors from my mother side family were bombed by Franco's heavy cruisers while fleeing from Malaga through a coastal road which was known as Málaga–Almería road massacre, not Catalan victims involved though, so it has not historical interest. :undecide:

I don't think they deserve rebellion, unless some new evidence shows they secretly tried to buy weapons or something, which I doubt. Sedition, malversation or disobedience though... I believe they will be pardoned someway, though.

Imaus likes this.
  3. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Yes the article details how badly the French treated the 500000 refugees in the months before the outbreak of WW2 then the fall of France. If Franco had not continued to advance north from Barcelona fewer refugees would have crossed the border and many would have returned south sooner. Franco's air force bombed the people fleeing north just as its navy shelled people.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It's unclear if you're referring to the Catalan separatists today or the Spanish Republicans eighty years ago, but I get the feeling it might be an "either/or" situation.

JohannaK and Lexicus like this.
  5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

The Separatists insulted the Spirit of Franco!

6. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

How is it unclear? He obviously refers to separatists since the republicans 80 years ago weren't defiant of the Spanish 1931 Constitution neither created chaos, Franco's sublevation did both things however. Sublevations usually do that.

Prima Italia likes this.
  7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

If I have to explain the joke, it stops being a joke.

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

You can't get above the maximum penalty, that's why it's called the maximum.

AmazonQueen, JohannaK and Silurian like this.
  9. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Funny how Catalonia can't be incontroversial even as a geographic descriptor nowadays. :rolleyes:

10. Prima Italia

Prima Italia Chieftain

Nine of the twelve Catalan seperatist leaders have been jailed between nine and thirteen years by the Spanish Supreme Court for charges of sedition relating to the events and leading up to Catalonia declaring independence in 2017. The three others were fined. Prosecuters had asked for jail terms of 25 years.

11. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

They will probably get conditional freedom in few months, since Spanish law says you only need to fulfill a quarter of the total jail time to being eligible for parole and they have two years of preventive prison already.

At least they will enjoy full disqualification for many years.

12. Josu

Josu Emperor

That's not true, as per section 90 of the Spanish penal code you need to fulfill three quarters of the total jail time.
    And it is not the only condition:
    - They must be in grade 3 regime. It is complex to define how to obtain the third grade, there are several conditions, but lets say that half of the sentence must be fullfiled and that personal situation is taken in account.
    - Good behaviour must be observed

13. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Third grade regime (i dont know if such thing exist in other countries or how it is called if so) means you are already semi-free and only need to sleep at jail or to be there one in every four days and you can get it after fullfilling 1/4 of the total time only. Logically you need good behavior and such to get it, would be preposterous if not, but i am sure these guys will get it asap, specially being in catalan jails...

14. Josu

Josu Emperor

Last time I checked about this issue, there was a need being half of the sentence for sentences than more than five years, it is called "periodo de seguridad", may be it has changed. I must say that I read about it some years ago.

On the other hand being on catalan jails is irrelevant, because the parole/3rd grade should be granted by the sentencing court, Supreme Court in this case.

15. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

No, while the court can limit or forbid the possibility of getting the third grade, they choose not to do so in this case. From there on it is the penitentiary administration who decides if the prisoner is ready for the third grade or no and in Catalonia the competence is transferred to the Catalan administration. It is an apparently heavy but in fact extremely flexible sentence.

16. JohannaK

And still ridiculously excessive.

Josu likes this.
  17. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

The media confirms that one of the demonstrators has lost an eye.

18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Just stopped watching BBC Parliament, there is an emergency debate on Catalonia:

The hysterical "do gooders" there seem it to think that it is for
    Christopher Pincher (a UK Foreign Office Minister) to do something.

19. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

The media confirm another demonstrator has lost a testicle.

20. JohannaK

Thankfully, the late Paco proved that one can live a long and prosper life on a single testicle.

It would be better to not go through such a tearing loss, though.

Josu likes this.