1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Catapults - City Raider or Barrage promotions?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kommie, Feb 16, 2006.

1. kommie

kommie Chieftain

Hmm, thanks for the good answers guys, so looks like collateral damage isnt affected by non-barrage promotions.

I have another question however. Would a damaged catapult do as much collateral damage as a healthy one?
    SPQR300 above mentioned that collateral dmg is based on the "base strength" of the cat, but is that natural base strength (5), or current base strength? (could be damanged down to 1.5 for example).

2. Giaur

Giaur War Dancer

I always take 'city raider I' promotion. Second promotion is chosen as 'Accurancy' (bombarding city defense). If I decide to attack city, there is less colleteral damage, but there is greater chance of survival and second - it does more damage to the enemy unit with best defense. It is my strategy with Catapult. For cannons and artilery I always choose 'City Raider Promotion'. And if there is lack of more city raider promotions, I choose Combat or Drill. I had once artilery with 6 promotions: 3 city raider, 1 combat, 2 drill.

3. Vikings Diehard

Vikings Diehard Chieftain

I originally used barrage promotions for suicide catapults recently I have experimented with city raider and found the lower collateral damage to be a minimal decrease but the city raider gives my siege weapons much greater survival chances and less replacment of units. I keep about 75% of my siege weapons city raider/combat promotions and 25% barrage which are used for defense of cities against large stacks.

4. Smokey McDope

Smokey McDope Warlord

I exclusively use the barrage. I know city raider owns the AI, but in a multiplayer game your city raider invasion force will get crushed in the field by units with combat promos and the unit counter ones (shock, cover, pinch, etc) way before you get to a city. As noted collateral damage is increased only with the barrage promotion and yes, it works on cities as well as armies in the field.

5. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

Haha, how cruel. Send the fresh recruits to the frontlines ala cannon fodder.

6. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Yes, after 1.12 base strength is used to calculate damage for all combat. Injured strength was used before then. :)