1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Cats and Kittens

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Azem.Ocram, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

I'm starting this thread as suggested by @Lemon Merchant to move the discussion about cats from other threads to here.

As some of you may know, I recently fostered a cat and her litter for a friend of a friend and me and my roommates decided to adopt one of the kittens. We named him (sir) Cuddlefluff(s) though I usually call him Fluffy or kitty.

Anyway, I now share the main/master bedroom (which has a private bathroom) with my roommate and we usually keep our kitten in our room. We never let him leave our room unattended because I have houseplants (basil I grew from seeds (which I don't want to be destroyed), 2 snake plants, and golden pothos). The snake plants are mildly toxic but are difficult to chew (very fibrous) so I don't worry so much but the golden pothos is soft and more poisonous so I have to make sure no one ever takes a bite out of it. I'm considering on putting the pothos on the table (which is next to it) though I will have to figure out how to position the grow lights so that my basil grows as fast as possible. I thought that it was impossible for the kitten to reach the leaves because I have the pothos in a big clay pot with the vines grown on a moss pole, not draping down but my kitten is growing fast and is an avid climber.

Our kitty has slowly decreased his biting and scratching though he still clings to my leg (which hurts because he can dig his claws in) whenever I leave the room without letting him out (at least if he is awake). He loves to cuddle up with me, often times sleeping on my head or neck (which can make it difficult for me to breathe if I hadn't taken my allergy medicine).

Do you have further advice, @Valka D'Ur and @Lexicus? When should we take the kitten to the vet? I noticed him sneezing every once in a while.

2. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

I have no productive advice.
    However i have, with great sorrow, read the news that @aimeeandbeatles is being assaulted by her cat on account of her singing, which surely is lovely and criminally underappriciated by said cat.
    Subsequently i have watched scores of youtube videos of other cats similarly disregarding the musical efforts of their owners for the sake of research.
    I am posting the following musically-ignorant-cat-video for the pressing reason that it is cute:

Mow. :)

Ziggy Stardust likes this.
  3. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

get rid of the plants and get another kitten so Sir Cuddlefluff has company

Perfection likes this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

You should take him to the vet to get him neutered and checked for parasites and stuff. I'm not sure at what age you do that, Valka probably would know.

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

She also doesn't appreciate my taste in music.

Spoiler :

Valka D'Ur and metatron like this.
  6. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Checking for parasites should happen ASAP. I don't believe you get kitties neutered or spayed when they're a few weeks old, IIRC we got our girl kitten spayed at around 6 months and when our boy kitty came to us he was already neutered but he was super young so I guess you might want to do it ASAP too.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I think to further understand the issues at hand we need to actually see pictures of the kitten.

Lexicus likes this.
  8. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

Ping.jpg

Just saw this, this morning. This is a dead on copy of our newest kitten, appropriately named Ping after the golf clubs.

tjs282 and BenitoChavez like this.
  9. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

the eyes of a killer

10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Cats and cardboard boxes. Some kind of strange alchemy.

11. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

its cuz cats hate the idea of something crawling up onto them... Probably because of fleas, they know something very small on the ground is attacking them so they like fortresses and heights, avoid the ground somehow.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

It's actually because cats like the feeling of coverage from being in a box. It's not very different from us liking blankets on us when we sleep.

13. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

Here’s a picture from last night:

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

You should put food in the bowl. :p

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

It's full of milk actually

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  16. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Is he always inside, our do you let him out?

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Looks pretty empty to me except for the shadow and those are not very nourishing.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

On this note, letting cats outside generally not a good idea. We let our cats out for supervised jaunts but they wreak havoc on ecosystems if they roam outside on their own. Health-wise they will be more active if outside, but they have a lower life expectancy. Otoh keeping them inside increases the chances of obesity and the accompanying complications e.g. diabetes.

El_Machinae likes this.
  19. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

20. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I've heard that domestic cats should be given toys to satisfy their hunting instincts.

Spoiler :

tjs282, Perfection and Silurian like this.