Cats vs Dogs

Cats or Dogs?

• Total voters
Um. You guys thinking dogs are high maintenance, do you ever have relationships? Not sure you know what high maintenance means...

Some people are allergic to responsibility, I suppose.

Cats also tend to be carriers of more parasites that can infect humans, at least one of which is highly correlate with mental illness.
Is there any truth to this? :trouble:

I'm a cat person. I hate *all* other animals.

Dogs, because the internet is way too obsessed with cats.

Without cats we wouldn't have The Oatmeal's upcoming book on cats. Huzzah!

Dogs are clearly superior! :p Cats are boring, and do nothing. :) Labrador Retriever is the best dog breed, dogs for life man.

Yeah, if your dog makes inappropriate messes more than very rarely, it's usually your fault.
In his case, regurgitating his food could never be figured out. Neither could his accidents just minutes after being taken outside. Whatever floats your boat, though. :)

Dogs are clearly superior! :p Cats are boring, and do nothing. :) Labrador Retriever is the best dog breed, dogs for life man.
This is a common stereotype, but it's quite incorrect. They're actually quite playful.

In his case, regurgitating his food could never be figured out. Neither could his accidents just minutes after being taken outside. Whatever floats your boat, though. :)

Not sure what your point is.

There's nothing wrong with cats in general.

This is a common stereotype, but it's quite incorrect. They're actually quite playful.

I have a cat, tell me when it can go fetch a ball/stick, shake, roll-over, go on walks with you, and go swimming :mischief:

I preferred dogs...until I got my first cat. It's been cats, cats and more cats ever since. All different, all fun. :)

Cats do it in the house. And then I smell it.
You do realize, you're supposed to clean it?

Um. You guys thinking dogs are high maintenance, do you ever have relationships? Not sure you know what high maintenance means...
Most people's Significant Others are already housebroken/litter-trained. :p

The only reason I voted "both" is because I used to have dogs, as recently as 5 years ago. The dog was sick, I couldn't afford the vet bills... :(

Anyway, I've preferred cats ever since my wonderful Siamese kitten, Cassandra, came into my life on October 8, 1977. I've had at least one cat ever since, and as many as 7.

Most people's Significant Others are already housebroken/litter-trained. :p

:lol: Touche! (yeah, just pretend it has that accent thingy)

@NickyJ: Probably a stupid question, but I assume you guys tried multiple foods?

At one time, I liked dogs. Then, I got bit by one without doing anything that should have provoked it whatsoever (I started riding a bike down its street). Ever since, I've known to never trust a dog that I don't already know. Whereas cats won't attack you for no reason, and even if you do antagonize one, it will warn you with hissing or growling before you encounter its claws.

Not too long after that, my family got a cat. Then I learned how much fun cats can be. Find a playful cat, and they are a lot of fun to play with (they tend to prefer chase to fetch). Find two playful cats who are friends, and it's a lot of fun to watch them play with each other. Find an affectionate cat, and that cat is a COMPANION. That cat will follow you around a good chunk of the day, keep you company while you are sick, and generally act like your shadow. They might not fetch your slippers, but they'll be a reliable, soft, and friendly alarm clock. Most cats will also do an excellent job of catching any bugs that get inside, and be adorable while doing so.

Taking cats for walks on leashes is also a great way to meet your neighbors. Your neighbors are probably already used to people walking dogs, so they might not pay you any mind unless you have an unusually cute dog. But not many people take their cats for walks, so you get a lot of attention when walking your cat. The only thing you have to remember is that your cat decides where to go, not you, and you probably won't go very far. If you want to meet people, though, I advise taking your cat for walks. If your cat was previously an indoor cat, they'll probably even ask you to bring out the leash once they figure out it means going outside. At least, if they're like my parents' cat who we took on walks outside.

The other nice thing about cats is that they all have their own personalities. Some are avid hunters. Others play with bugs, but then let them go about their existance peacefully. Some like other cats, others prefer to be the only cat in the house. Some are more generous than others. If you know their history prior to adoption, you can also spot elements of their personalities that are influenced by that, and observe them gradually change over the years.

I am convinced my dog is going to be like the one from those insurance commercials...

"You left me to hold down the fort but these guys showed up with this awesome bone. You guys are great!"

She loves people too darn much.

Haha. Many dogs allow thieves to enter quite peacefully, but if the thief is aware there is a dog, he often won't enter out of precaution.

I was more like... They protect you. They're dependable and loyal (most are, at least). In a dog's mentality, you're in a pack, together, and it will sacrifice much for the pack.

There's a story from ~ten years ago where a guy assaulted a small girl in Jutland, for God knows what reason. But the girl was walking a small dog at the time, I don't recall which, but it was around the size of a pug - and it just went nuts on the man, trying to hurt him as must as possible for the defense of his partner. It probably couldn't do anything serious to him in the end, but he was so shocked and scared that he ran off...

Loyalty, man. Protection. Packs. I understand cats can have more individuality and personality and be interesting like that, and that some cats have similar loyalty, but they're not expected to have that pack mentality, something that I really enjoy in a pet, or a partner. To a dog, you're its whole world.

Also, it's healthy going out for walks with your dog, both mentally, physically and spiritually. :)

Top Bottom