[GS] Cavalry Strength Reduced to 60?

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Is it just Canada UU that have the reduced strength, or does it applies to cavalry units (which was previously 62 strength)?

Hungary Huskar have 65 strength. Will cossack strength be reduced to 65?

I'm not sure if we can draw any conclusions. The ability to found a national park is quite a powerful one for a unit, so maybe that's why the Mountie has reduced strength (not that those -2 would make that much of a difference).

There appears to be a new Cuirassier unit that will flesh out the heavy cavalry line, so any rebalancing will have to be considered once we know all the details across both unit lines.

Reactions: j51
It's not confirmed that the Mountie replaces the Cavalry. The ability overview doesn't say so and it unlocks at a different tech. Maybe it is a similar case to the Maori and their Toa.

It's not confirmed that the Mountie replaces the Cavalry. The ability overview doesn't say so and it unlocks at a different tech. Maybe it is a similar case to the Maori and their Toa.

With the "free National Park" ability, it would make sense that you have to hard build them.

First look video shows that Mountie is a modern era unit that comes with Conservation Civic. It almost certainly doesnt replace anything.

First look video shows that Mountie comes with Conservation Civic. It almost certainly doesnt replace anything.
We don't know, the Toa also comes at a different tech or civic than the Swordsman, but Maori cannot build normal swordsmen.

We don't know, the Toa also comes at a different tech or civic than the Swordsman, but Maori cannot build normal swordsmen.

I guess anything is possible, but modern era Mountie is a weaker unit than earlier industrial era cavalry. Mountie has very strong and specific ability with Natural parks, which are much more valuable than Pa improvements that the maori unit Toa can build. I think Mountie doesnt replace cavalry, because it has very different use. Maori unit Toa on the other hand is not that different from regular swordsman.

I guess anything is possible, but modern era Mountie is a weaker unit than earlier industrial era cavalry. Mountie has very strong and specific ability with Natural parks, which are much more valuable than Pa improvements that the maori unit Toa can build. I think Mountie doesnt replace cavalry, because it has very different use. Maori unit Toa on the other hand is not that different from regular swordsman.
It would be sad (or should I say, even sadder) if the Mountie replaced Cavalry, which it is weaker than. The bonus for Natural Parks is not very useful, because you're not likely to ever be fighting near one. I think I've built maybe 2 National Parks ever (and not for lack of trying), and I don't think I've EVER seen the AI build one.

It would be sad (or should I say, even sadder) if the Mountie replaced Cavalry, which it is weaker than. The bonus for Natural Parks is not very useful, because you're not likely to ever be fighting near one. I think I've built maybe 2 National Parks ever (and not for lack of trying), and I don't think I've EVER seen the AI build one.

The logical place for it would be Conservation, but I worry that's just too late for anyone to care about it.

It is in Conservation.

And yes, this late and with these abilities, it's a completely useless unit.

I think it works for cultural victory with some defensive bonuses. You use it to create national parks and then you camp it in the park to defend.

it's a completely useless unit.

Why is no one building National Parks? I think they are pretty cool. Yes you do need to build builders as well to remove your mines and quarries (which you should just harvest the resources) and possibly do other improvements like plant forests to raise appeal. I find it a somewhat interesting mini game to try to find places to put them.

Mountie at least has that purpose in life. Much more than I can say for other civ's uu's. I'm looking at you garde impériale.

It is in Conservation.

And yes, this late and with these abilities, it's a completely useless unit.

I think it works for cultural victory with some defensive bonuses. You use it to create national parks and then you camp it in the park to defend.

Since it's main use appears to be a different route to National Parks than faith-only Naturalists, I guess that makes sense. In game logic terms, not historical terms (Mounties as conservationists is … interesting).

The combat bonuses for defending those parks makes little sense in either terms, unless there's been a major re-work of combat unit strengths. Even with bonuses for being near a park, the Mounties aren't going to be able to hold up against contemporary units. Nor should they. To the extent they were ever a military force, that was in the Industrial Era, not the Modern Era.

Once. In the video Mountie founds a national park and after that it doesnt have that ability anymore.

You can make couple of these, found national parks and then form an army out of them. At least this way they might have some use militarily. But its clear National park is their main use.

Once. In the video Mountie founds a national park and after that it doesnt have that ability anymore.

You can make couple of these, found national parks and then form an army out of them. At least this way they might have some use militarily. But its clear National park is their main use.

Found national parks on the borders of your empire as a defensive barrier!

Maybe if you're hitting culture hard, you can get mounties faster. I like the idea of putting units in the culture tree.

Top Bottom