Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

The standard BtS maps still work don't they?

we currently don't know how the existing mapscripts will function once multimaps are implemented.
The mapscripts for Earth won't change at all. We will be needing (well... it will be helpful to have) new mapscripting for other world maps, as long as we want to provide player option to various creation settings, as mapscripts are really for. The DLL already defaults nearly every element of creating a map - so we'll need base creation steps for other map types but it could be nice to get more mapscripting that can be selected for those map types, either at the time the game needs to generate those maps (when they are first needed) or at the beginning of the game you could set them as drop selections within the main mapscript selections.

The real problem is pretty much that only @Toffer90 has mastered the unique coding world of mapscripting - it's a bit of a study and I suck at python too much to want to work with it and like Toffer, I'm working on other things primarily and that's the main issue - those few who CAN work on mapscripts really just don't want to right now because like every other project demand, it's a distraction from what we're currently doing. Straight up if some want to help more with map scripting issues, there is definitely room for people to study how to do so and dive in to making that their specialty. It's certainly a modder's discipline of specialty to work on that and it would be very cool to have more assistance there, PARTICULARLY as we start ramping up closer and closer to needing new mapscripts for the other map types!

But let me just assure folks, existing mapscripts will NOT be made obsolete as the Earth map will pretty much remain unchanged in its generation process.

not with C2C, need quite a few changes/ /
Very true - we have quite a few unique considerations as it is. You CAN use a vanilla script I think but it fails to cover a lot of what we expect to have included like the full bonus list and numerous new terrains and map systems.

But let me just assure folks, existing mapscripts will NOT be made obsolete as the Earth map will pretty much remain unchanged in its generation process.

Yes, but there's bound to be bugs of some kind. Also we really don't know how the multimaps are going to work with the other parts of the mod or affect performance. Never before has any civ mod attempted to generate multiple playable maps all independently generated, overlaid on top of one another, separated by visual filters, within the same game file. Hell, not even Firaxis has attempted such a feat within the vanilla game and it's many sequels.

Yes, but there's bound to be bugs of some kind. Also we really don't know how the multimaps are going to work with the other parts of the mod or affect performance. Never before has any civ mod attempted to generate multiple playable maps all independently generated, overlaid on top of one another, separated by visual filters, within the same game file. Hell, not even Firaxis has attempted such a feat within the vanilla game and it's many sequels.
The first map you start on will be the same thing we've always played with. Viewports has been in the game for a long time and it does have some small bugs still to work out but that's the basis of multimaps. What we'll need is the routines to generate new maps but that won't change the old ones at all so nothing is pending changes in the mapscripts we have over MM.

As in the vanilla game or added by the mod?
Koshling added it here a long while back. He also did do the main portion of multimaps then and MattCA has been trying to push to get it debugged and more functional. There are some noteworthy projects still to come to get it fully up and running but we do know HOW it will work as far as scripting issues go where it relates to the current mapscripts.

Sid never worked on that himself and the game received many negative reviews for being too bloated and unimaginative. It's because of this criticism nothing like it has ever been made since (except for maybe Empire Earth, but that's real time not turn based).
Ironic... I found it to be the most inspiring work in the entire Civ series so far.

Furthermore, this is the first time I've heard anything but outright enthusiasm for it from players as well. The guy that told me about it was spazzed out on the idea and how cool it was and everyone I've ever read saying anything about it was expressing the same as he and I and other players I've introduced it to as well felt. It really was truly a great thing to work with multimaps like that and it was such a shame how limited the concept was ever applied before they rushed on into civ 3 and never did it again.

it was such a shame how limited the concept was ever applied before they rushed on into civ 3 and never did it again.

They didn't rush to make civ 3 because civ 3 was made by Firaxis and Sid Meier had long left Microprose. Microprose made Test of Time after Sid had long left his original company to found Firaxis. With Firaxis he hired a completely new development staff. Originally Microprose owned the rights to the series, so Firaxis could not make another civ game. However Microprose got bought up by Hasbro Interactive which Hasbro later sold off to Infogrames which led to them solely possessing the right to the civilization franchise. Infogrames later published Civ 3 by contracting Firaxis to develop it since they knew Sid originally created the series. Lastly Take Two bought the rights to civilization which through their subsidiary 2k have repeatedly contracted Firaxis for the rest of the franchise. This means that to this day Sid Meier doesn't even own the rights to his most famous game series, Take Two does, and they simply allow him to develop it.

Furthermore, this is the first time I've heard anything but outright enthusiasm for it from players as well.

That's what the critics said about the game not the players. Player reviews weren't really that easy to determine back then other than hearsay, unlike today with widespread social media and discussion platforms. Because of this most financial decisions for companies would be determined by what some professional critic had to say in some gaming magazine, that and sales. Test of Time didn't make that much sales due to having civilization 2 in it's name after everyone had already bought the original civilization 2 and it's expansions. Most were expecting something new with the name 3 at the end.

That's what the critics said about the game not the players.
The critics completely focused on the graphics, because that's certainly the most important thing about a TBS game, right? /s

ToT was miles above CII in pretty much any way that mattered, with Multimaps (as I already said), trigger-able advances (in the mod Lalande 21185 you got certain advances by e.g. reaching orbit), advances limited to certain factions (in the same mod you had to keep a human and an alien civ around for a while, there was a key advance with one prerequisite limited to humans and one to aliens, but these advances were tradeable). Then there was a fantasy campaign (with an optional Midgard scenario), with civilizations much more different from each other and modified victory conditions. How many of these things were in CII again?

But hey, it had (arguably) worse graphics, so it was certainly an inferior game, right?

They didn't rush to make civ 3 because civ 3 was made by Firaxis and Sid Meier had long left Microprose. Microprose made Test of Time after Sid had long left his original company to found Firaxis. With Firaxis he hired a completely new development staff. Originally Microprose owned the rights to the series, so Firaxis could not make another civ game. However Microprose got bought up by Hasbro Interactive which Hasbro later sold off to Infogrames which led to them solely possessing the right to the civilization franchise. Infogrames later published Civ 3 by contracting Firaxis to develop it since they knew Sid originally created the series. Lastly Take Two bought the rights to civilization which through their subsidiary 2k have repeatedly contracted Firaxis for the rest of the franchise. This means that to this day Sid Meier doesn't even own the rights to his most famous game series, Take Two does, and they simply allow him to develop it.
Interesting.

Too bad he can't take credit for the best innovation in the series. From what I understand, he hasn't had a whole lot of input on 5 and 6 either though.

The critics completely focused on the graphics, because that's certainly the most important thing about a TBS game, right? /s

ToT was miles above CII in pretty much any way that mattered, with Multimaps (as I already said), trigger-able advances (in the mod Lalande 21185 you got certain advances by e.g. reaching orbit), advances limited to certain factions (in the same mod you had to keep a human and an alien civ around for a while, there was a key advance with one prerequisite limited to humans and one to aliens, but these advances were tradeable). Then there was a fantasy campaign (with an optional Midgard scenario), with civilizations much more different from each other and modified victory conditions. How many of these things were in CII again?

But hey, it had (arguably) worse graphics, so it was certainly an inferior game, right?
Drives me nuts how much the graphics was THE only thing that critics gave a dang about around then. I get that it was technologically the thing that was really advancing quickly but it was also ignoring the better details of the game design itself... like if it was fun.

Reactions: tmv

To be fair graphics were the main emphasis by which games were judged back then. Especially so when each year a new groundbreaking and more amazing graphical game came out.

Ironically things are the opposite now that graphics in games are starting to plateau. Critics will now defend poor graphical games as "stylized" when there is little to no evidence that it ever was, especially so if the new game has an SJW agenda.

why cant i delete complete cities if only have "cultures" in them , no wonders just buildings that I built?? everytime i try to delete them, i get a CTD???
This shouldn't happen, upload save

Top Bottom