Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I know that I've come across a little hostile - you're suggesting much deeper restructuring and an abandoning of older traditions, though you clearly read out the purposes in the Civ IV design very differently than I have. I really honestly do feel like it would be cool to see what you would come up with. I'm also not going down that road for the core. However, I'd be interested in seeing what you choose to do put into an actual plan and implemented.

2. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Yes, we're sliding down to "holy war". As for the planned mod, it will not be possible to quickly rewrite HML there. I can post a description of the project a little later, if you are really interested.

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I would be interested to see how you plot out units along a similar document style to the one I'm doing. That way it requires no programming from you and if its complete and succinct then it wouldn't be too hard to implement as long as you determined the unit arts to use.

4. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

Speaking of ideas.
    What is the exact AI of auto-Workers building Forts, thus expanding the available cultural area?
    I often play one-city games, so Fort-expansion is rather relevant, thus I would like to understand what drives the Workers to build them or not.
    Would be nice to be able to make them actually do that as a priority, when not being threatened by dangers.
    Or even to force them to risk themselves for the goal of expansion.
    Any details, please?

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

@flabbert would be the best to answer this at the moment.

6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Some buildings are important, other ones are importantier.
    Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2021-06-04 18-55-05-36.png

7. Svobodnyi

Svobodnyi Chieftain

How to get rid of pigeons and crows sitting on the tops of mountains for centuries?
    I understand that civilians need to be protected and all that, but I can't do anything with them for many centuries and I get alerts about the enemy every turn, it looks like absurd
    Yes I play with dangerous fauna and angry animals and try to keep a domestic hunter that patrols cultural borders, but pigeons...

8. irishhombre

irishhombre King

You need get a mountain climber promotion. It is after 3 levels of guerilla promotions.

9. Svobodnyi

Svobodnyi Chieftain

what era will such promotion be unlocked?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  10. Svobodnyi

Svobodnyi Chieftain

I am also interested in the question, does the option - Upscaled Research Time work only for human player or for all civilizations on the map?

11. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

It works for all civilizations

Svobodnyi likes this.
  12. irishhombre

irishhombre King

I've unlocked it in Prehistoric Era.
    Edit: Screenshot of promotion bar added.
    Spoiler Screenshot :
    upload_2021-6-6_13-7-35.png

Svobodnyi and Thunderbrd like this.
  13. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I wonder if anyone noticed expanded functionality of resource and building pedia entries.
    Buildings now say they are OR and in Empire prereqs (may be needed, needed in empire to build).
    Vicinity resource requirements have links in them.
    Bonuses now lists all buildings, that they unlock (vicinity and raw vicinity).

Only GOM prereqs weren't listed yet.

cobbaut likes this.
  14. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

I'm confused...
    Can't dogs subdue (which should NOT be the same as capture, or so I'd hope) animals?
    I'm now running a Dog (well, Animal) Civ challenge, but my dogs NEVER subdue anything they kill.
    At all.
    And, sure, the rate of subduing is quite low, but I'm talking about killing a hundred or so animals with non-zero % of subduing - and getting exactly NONE.
    Mathematically it means that they CAN'T, because I don't believe in SUCH "bad luck".
    Any ideas?
    Specifically, is capture and subdue the same or not - since it is affected by different promotions as well.

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Dogs may not subdue or capture - there's a slight difference between those things and there's a few 'kinds' of capture in the system but either way units that can't do one of them can't do any of them.

16. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

Damn, so my Animal Civ is a bust.
    Because, well, I can hardly progress much, with NO animals to build stuff.
    Oh, wait, lol - I still can TRADE them from others.
    Hah, that's one FUNNY challenge, indeed.
    We'll see, we'll see.
    Oh, it also means I need to restart with the full roster of civs, because it will take forever for Barb civs to grow up to become of any use to me.
    Interesting, hehehe.

17. Septentrion

Septentrion Warlord

I noticed that western astrology is now super prominent in the classical age. It's going to feel weird to see China build its group wonder as China has it's own astrology going on with five elements and 12 animal signs. The classical planets are more universal. I have no idea what went on with the other continents.

18. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Well this mod is generally Eurocentric, sometimes UScentric too

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

We were going to do the Chinese as a separate set and give access based on Heritage (base culture) BUT further research showed that even the Chinese is actually the same set, just different names and associated text about the signs but if you align them up right they end up pretty much being identical with the only real difference being that the Chinese were more concerned about the year than the month of birth - which in essence just makes the Chinese calendar fall directly in line with the influence of House of Jupiter. Match up the wheel so that Monkey = Aquarius and it becomes pretty apparent its the same list in the end. Ultimately there was only one time that Astrology was 'invented' and the reference to that is in cuneiform saying something to do with how the Lord God Enlil divided the sky into 12 parts. It's been a tech with us since Sumeria, and of course we keep finding that most technology in the ancient world was spread by Sumerians and neighboring civilizations that learned from them. Astrology, on the tech tree, therefore, like most of the Ancient tree, is quite late, as most of the entirety of the Ancient tree came about in an almost overnight fashion in Sumer. It is, however, placed where it is, because it reached a peak of fashion of use during the Babylonian period of supremacy. Even the original Sumerian 12 signs weren't quite what the Greeks made popular and widespread knowledge of in the Western world eventually - and because of how prolific their education was about including it, many historians who haven't kept up with the latest knowledge still believe that Astrology was invented in Greece. It is quite likely that the Chinese system is just another way to express that same original.

20. Septentrion

Septentrion Warlord

I don't find that convincing. There are 12 moons in a year everywhere, and is equally divisible in any culture. Anthropologist do like to draw connections, and seeing the same simple number isn't even a coincidence. Also, I feel like very strong evidence is needed to rule out a separate Chinese invention.

I kind of assumed 12 near was the number of group wonders you wanted in the set. If we add Asian and American wonders to that group, would it be too many?

Also, the Mezoamericans deserve gameplay acknowledgement but I don't know if they had signs as they are more known for their huge cycles. I could see them getting the planets "signs" in the end.