Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

I got a quick question regarding workers placing resource bonuses. When new techs are discovered that reveal new resources later in the game (oil, coal, uranium,etc...), do these new resources replace any placed resources? My automated workers have a tendency to spam resources bonuses, and I'd appreciate any info on how these bonuses affect the spawning of new critical materials. Can you even replace a resource bonus? Thanks for your help!

I got a quick question regarding workers placing resource bonuses. When new techs are discovered that reveal new resources later in the game (oil, coal, uranium,etc...), do these new resources replace any placed resources? My automated workers have a tendency to spam resources bonuses, and I'd appreciate any info on how these bonuses affect the spawning of new critical materials. Can you even replace a resource bonus? Thanks for your help!

The doco says that it doesn't. The only way to test would be to go into world builder and see where there is an undiscovered resource then go back into the game and try placing a resource over it.

Okay, guess I'll hope to get some money for xmas then so I can get more. Any ideas of how much I might need? Any software out there I might be able to use for now to boost my RAM? Would a larger Page file help? I'd just like to get my feet wet with this.

Also, on a sepeate note, can anyone direct me to a really good How To on mods. I am on med leave so have lots of free time, and would love to get into doing mods. I am a history freak so I think I could do some neat stuff with some know now and maybe a little help. lol

The "usual" way into moding is to learn how to do XML stuff, which will allow you to do almost all non-graphical things. Then move onto python of C++ for those things that can't be done in XML. See the tutorial thread. I learned using that and looking at what others had done.

Yeah, i watch ALOT of the History channel and from what i am seeing, is that there were some kind of flying machines back to -3000 BC looking at the hieroglyphics (http://www.ufopictureblog.com/2007/October/UFO-and-Aliens-in-Ancient-Egyptian-Hieroglyphics.htm) so are we going to then include them in Prehistoric era, i dont think so.

Most definitely.

There is also a set that look like a helicopter, a submarine and a TARDIS! The latter is probably a representation of the false door shrine popular at the time.

If you are playing on an earth map with nations starting about where they did it would be sensible to try and have the religions founded by the nation that did historically but it makes no sence for Egypt to create a religion based on monsoonal flooding of a river when they are in the tundra without a river in sight. My opinion only;).

Whilst your point is apparent, technically the Egyptian religion was based on the seasonal flooding of a river - the Nile and the civilisation it enabled in Egypt.

@StrategyOnly, Hydromancerx

The error
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 363, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "autologEventManager", line 657, in onGoodyReceived
KeyError: 12

Is only happening when a goody hut gives a "new" tech for example Language but not Slavery. This probably means we have left something out of our XML. It is a BUG error so we could ask on the BUG forum if we don't see the problem ourselves.

I have just merged the improvement fixes into an upgrade. I will apply it to my version of C2C and do a test today, if parties don't get in the way too much.:p

@StrategyOnly, Hydromancerx

The error
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 363, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "autologEventManager", line 657, in onGoodyReceived
KeyError: 12

Is only happening when a goody hut gives a "new" tech for example Language but not Slavery. This probably means we have left something out of our XML. It is a BUG error so we could ask on the BUG forum if we don't see the problem ourselves.

I have just merged the improvement fixes into an upgrade. I will apply it to my version of C2C and do a test today, if parties don't get in the way too much.:p

HUH, i have NEVER seen that error before
its:
Spoiler :
Code:
message = BugUtil.getText("TXT_KEY_AUTOLOG_VILLAGE_RESULT", (GoodyTypeMap[iGoodyType], ))
so it has to do with a certain goody that was given at that time, if you can remember what it was, maybe we could find the solution?? Maybe. If it was one of the NEW techs then maybe their might be something missing in the TXT for example?

OK great on the improvements.:D

Yes i agree, back a few years ago it was harder than a bear to get things going. Zap hardly knew alot of python, nobody had any SDK/dll experience, etc.

Balance yes later. But still at the same time working on it, with improvements.

Garbage civics, i was thinking about this lately, and you are right you have to play alot harder trying to keep everything afloat, but what if "we" could move the civic to only START happening when you reach the Ancient Era? That way at least you'd have a fighting chance in the beginning rather than :yuck: this all the time:sad:
Infact i took out the Garbage civic just to see what would happen, and i had a waay better chance to progress.

Yes your vision is great, the ideas you are coming up with, well both you and DH are GREAT:goodjob:, keep them coming.

I finally had a chance with the new tech tree to test it out, and i got only to the Ancient middle Era stuff and i was having a "Fun Time." FINALLY:D

1. Glad you agree.

2. Well I am not sure if that could work. Why would you ever want to give up a good civic to go to a bad civic once the ancient era came around? The way I figure it is you going to start in a hole and then you work your way out with new technology that will help you such as cooking, herbalism and nautropathy. Right now I seem to have no problems if I settle in a forest, but if I settle near a flood plain or jungle, I am in a world of hurt for awhile.

3. Thanks. You have been great as well. This is how I thought it would be with AND where moders could work as a group to get features in that would take forever by yourself. Anyways I am just glad you guys are so cool and nice to let me join you. I know I can get stubborn sometimes, but I just want to make it awesome. I love DH's mods a lot and am so glad you decided to incorporate it into your mod. Its too bad GeneralStaff and Civ Fuehrer were not active or interested in working on this. They would have been awesome helping.

I'm guessing you missed my last question, do you have a picture or schematic of your overall tech tree yet as I would like to see what's in store for the future era's?

Yeah the link strategyonly posted was pretty close. I think just need to move around some positions compared to the current version. I will make sure I post an up to date version when he posts the "Christmas upload".

2. Well I am not sure if that could work. Why would you ever want to give up a good civic to go to a bad civic once the ancient era came around? The way I figure it is you going to start in a hole and then you work your way out with new technology that will help you such as cooking, herbalism and nautropathy. Right now I seem to have no problems if I settle in a forest, but if I settle near a flood plain or jungle, I am in a world of hurt for awhile.

ahha thats 'My" main problem then i always settle on a Grassy area, Jungle or a Plains area.:sad: Good info, thx.

@strategyonly

Here is my latest update with a bunch of new buildings. Like always please delete the Hydro folder and Hydro.FPK before updating. I also included icons for Astrology and Radio Astronomy tech. Please put them where they are suppose to be. They looked kind of lame reusing the same icons as other techs. Which is why I made some icons for them. Let me know when you have downloaded this. (See Attachment for files)

Oh also I need you to do something for me. You see I re-did the "Brewery" building to fit my new buildings so I need you to change the "CIV4BuildingClassInfos" for the "Brewery" building to make it a normal building rather than a National wonder. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if I will get another update in before Christmas, but this should at least help fill in some empty techs for now. Enjoy! :D

*Attachment Remove*

OK here are the improvements files. They are in their correct directories. Don't forget to back up before you use, just in case I partied a bit too hard today.

OK thx guys, i got them both, you can delete them now. I changed the Brewery also, thx and added the dds, thx.

DH, did you mean to send the BonusInfo.XML, because its the same as the original i have?

EDIT: Ok took your advice on the techs and went for Herbalism then Naturopathy and it worked, it took the :yuck: out of the cities for the time being, thx.

EDIT1: DH have you thought about anything yet on the Carnival situation?

EDIT EDIT: OK, the deadline for anything new to add, or new ideas will be by CST 12 noon, 22 Dec 10, and thx everyone.

Hi there! I have a problem: my game crashes repeatedly at year BC 4000. It sounds like there should appear some event message, like "someone has complete his greate work and here take a lookto the list of most wealthy/cultured/etc... civilizations of the world" - and emediatly after that game crashes - my windows 7 tells me that: "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly..." what shold I do? If it is possible to disable this event?

OK thx guys, i got them both, you can delete them now. I changed the Brewery also, thx and added the dds, thx.

DH, did you mean to send the BonusInfo.XML, because its the same as the original i have?

That is because I sent an earlier one then you sent one back. I included it because I knew I had made some changes to it at some stage...

EDIT1: DH have you thought about anything yet on the Carnival situation?

I have experimented with removing the tech requirement on the hunter leaving just the building requirement. It seems to work OK. I think we need some totally new buildings just for this mod but I am not sure what yet.

Which reminds me - why hasn't Hydromancerx come up with a rope maker building? Requires wheat, corn, rice or hemp in the vicinity +1 hammer, +10% speed of making sailing ships?

EDIT EDIT: OK, the deadline for anything new to add, or new ideas will be by CST 12 noon, 22 Dec 10, and thx everyone.

I assume that CST is "USA Central Standard Time" not "Australian Central Summer Time" which is what I will should be on when we are both still in the 22nd. :)

Not that it matters, I'm done one this for now. When I get back I will see if I can get RoM upgraded to the latest RevDCM.

1. Glad it worked. :D Yeah going all military (ex. beeline to archery) and not worrying about your cities health will really hurt you.

2. I will try to get one more update in. Most likely a bunch of crop related buildings. More on that later.

EDIT: Just brainstorming some "Bonus Minerals" like I did for the "Bonus Crops". Note the ones with a * are fake and probably are not going to be used. See attachment.

Garbage civics, i was thinking about this lately, and you are right you have to play alot harder trying to keep everything afloat, but what if "we" could move the civic to only START happening when you reach the Ancient Era? That way at least you'd have a fighting chance in the beginning rather than :yuck: this all the time:sad:
Infact i took out the Garbage civic just to see what would happen, and i had a waay better chance to progress.

Why not make the garbage civic effects from "X amount unhealthiness" to "X amount of healthiness for every population above 3" (or more appropriate number)?

That way you're getting at least some production and and science to actually GET to some health improving techs/improvements if your starting settler gets plopped in plains with no forest in sight?

Why not make the garbage civic effects from "X amount unhealthiness" to "X amount of healthiness for every population above 3" (or more appropriate number)?

That way you're getting at least some production and and science to actually GET to some health improving techs/improvements if your starting settler gets plopped in plains with no forest in sight?

1. Is that even possible to do without SDK skills?

2. Well if your plopped in the plains its best if you migrate your people to a new location. I have done more recent games where I seek out a prime location before settling. Unlike past games where I try to settle in the first turn or 2 I have found that since you will be stuck with one city for awhile its better to spend those extra turn finding a good location. You can always catch up to the other civs if you find a good location. Its a gamble I know but I have found it pays off more than not.

EDIT: Some more brainstorming about how to connect everything in a huge dependency web. I first was trying to think of how do do them individually but then I realized that it would be much simpler to just make a core web that everything could bud off from. Like the trunk of a tree. As you can see in my attachment below that each zone builds on the zone under it and each zone requires either a resource or city size to build.

For instance agricultural buildings would require an agricultural zone to be built first. This would allow for as many agricultural buildings to be built as you want without each of them having to be set as a requirement for other buildings.

I was also thinking of linking them to improvements so an agricultural zone would also require a farm, plantation, etc to be in the city vicinity before it could be built. I am not sure if that would work but its just a side idea.

With the new Religions like Mesopotamianism is there any reason why you can't just change the prerequisite tech? I tried changing it but it brings up XML problems with the tech I changed it to? For example I only changed Meso to sedentary lifestyle and it brings up an xml error in the ReligionInfo.xml

Any ideas why this is?

EDIT: Forget it, I'm being dumb. Problem solved.

@Hydromancerx, man do you ever stop thinking, WOW.

With the new Religions like Mesopotamianism is there any reason why you can't just change the prerequisite tech? I tried changing it but it brings up XML problems with the tech I changed it to? For example I only changed Meso to sedentary lifestyle and it brings up an xml error in the ReligionInfo.xml

Any ideas why this is?

I changed mine to Sacrifice Cult (Blood Cult) and it works fine:confused:

Question: What's the difference between a Cow Farm and an Indian Cow Farm?

Same goes for Goat farm and Babylonian Goat Farm etc...

Oh yeah, Shaman's Hut has an error in the CIV4BuildingsInfos file.

Spoiler :
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HUT_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
Should read...
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SHAMANS_HUT_PEDIA</Civilopedia>

Hope this helps a little.

I had an idea for the Idol Shrine building but I'm not sure how it could be included, I'm sure it's just xml coding, but I'm struggling to figure out how to do it. Here's the idea anyway; Idolatry is considered a major sin in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) so wouldn't it make sense if when your state religion is any of them, the idol shrine gives unhappiness. If you like the idea I wouldn't mind being told how to add it as I would like to include this in my own games.

Top Bottom