Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Hi all, first of all, I've been playing this mod for quite awhile, and I think it is amazing, and by far the best BtS mod there is! Great work everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if someone could add an Armenian civilization to this mod? I know there is an Armenian cultural resource, but it's not quite the same... Realism Invictus has already created one, if this makes it any easier. Thanks!

Hi all, first of all, I've been playing this mod for quite awhile, and I think it is amazing, and by far the best BtS mod there is! Great work everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if someone could add an Armenian civilization to this mod? I know there is an Armenian cultural resource, but it's not quite the same... Realism Invictus has already created one, if this makes it any easier. Thanks!

Yeppers it's on my to-do list.

btw thx for the compliments and Welcome to CFC.

Thanks to everyone for a truly phenomenal mod - v23 will be my 5th version and I'm sure I'll love it as much as the previous...

A couple questions -

1) First, I'm probably one of the few that really likes events, so one thing I do with each iteration is set all events to be one-per-civ, set the active flag to 100, and then change all the nonpersistent events to trigger as soon as the conditions are met. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to just make this a game setup option (or even just make them all active in any given game) rather than hardcoding the XML config?

2) Is it possible make multiple native cultures available for a civ? I tried doing this with a custom civ in the last version - but it always seem to ignore all but the last. Am I missing something in the xml - or - would this require a much deeper change to the game mechanics? In addition, any chance this could become a flag? Maybe a "Choose Culture" option?

Here is another idea: I find that in some games, I barely have the forces to capture any particular city. I know that I can't defend it and I'm going to lose it soon, so I end up razing the city instead. I then end up going around razing cities and annihilating populations this way. Historically, though, this does not generally occur; civilians tend to flee, becoming refuges. Or alternatively, the conqueror deports the conquered back to his cities. I wonder if you could implement this somehow? Perhaps when a city is razed, refuges appear, each one holding one population (there need not be as many refuges as the initial city population, as certainly some of the population dies in the conquest). Also, the deportation is either going to be costly, or deadly for some refuges, or both, so some kind of upkeep should be used. When adding a refuge to your city, it likely should increase unhealthiness and unhappiness beyond the normal population growth. Also, maybe something could be included with the U.N., since this practice was outlawed by the Fourth Geneva Convention. Another possibility would be with immigration policy, where countries with no borders or open borders would gain population from a neighbor's war. This could either increase or decrease happiness, depending on the relations between the nations. Similarly, countries with closed or secure borders could be happy (to not have the problem of refuges) or upset about not helping, depending again on relations between the nations. More simply, it could depend on whether the two nations have the same religion or not. Finally, another related concept is internal forced deportations. Maybe you could have a city lose a population to create a refuge, which can then increase the population of another of your cities. The Soviet Union did this. Obviously, it would seem easy to abuse and create an all-powerful capital, so some balancing mechanism, most likely unhappiness (who wants to be forced to live somewhere else?) for the city of departure and maybe also the city of arrival. In war time, it may make sense to abandon a weak city and have the residents (in addition to the soldiers stationed there) flee to another city before a foreign army strikes. The abandoned city would have enormous unhappiness, of course, but it is better than losing 20+ population. Also, in this case, I don't think the city the residents flee to should get increased unhappiness (above the norm), but I don't know how easy it would be to code the difference between fleeing certain death or capture and the arbitrary whims of the ruler. Maybe the ability to rearrange populations in this way should be civic dependent, since it is certainly not allowed in a democracy, but may be permissible under despotism/monarchy/fascism?

@darklink92

I like your idea but refuges should also come with their culture (The culture that give tile to the civ not the wonders) from their original civ if they come form an other one.

@robomani

That would be interesting, then maybe enough refuges could reduce your cities cultural % to a point where you have internal revolt (which makes sense given the current climate of fear of losing country to immigrants), or lose some outermost tiles (if they border that enemy). I don't know how hard it would be to implement, though, but probably not too hard. Just make the refuges automatically claim territory like military troops can with fixed borders.

@darklink92 Oh yea, we have been thinking on this but it is lower priority than other things at the moment. I may have graphics for the prehistoric to classical periods but need some others before I can even start. ;)

Thanks to everyone for a truly phenomenal mod - v23 will be my 5th version and I'm sure I'll love it as much as the previous...

A couple questions -

1) First, I'm probably one of the few that really likes events, so one thing I do with each iteration is set all events to be one-per-civ, set the active flag to 100, and then change all the nonpersistent events to trigger as soon as the conditions are met. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to just make this a game setup option (or even just make them all active in any given game) rather than hardcoding the XML config?

2) Is it possible make multiple native cultures available for a civ? I tried doing this with a custom civ in the last version - but it always seem to ignore all but the last. Am I missing something in the xml - or - would this require a much deeper change to the game mechanics? In addition, any chance this could become a flag? Maybe a "Choose Culture" option?

1) The amount of work necessary to carry out that concept would be tremendous so unless we had a lot more clamouring for it, its probably not a strong enough priority unless you want to devote yourself to achieving it. I could set up the option itself but the xml would be a hell of a chore I think... and that's if I'm assuming it would only have to be manipulated in the xml (giving some option dependent alternatives.) With some instruction on that it wouldn't be difficult for you I wouldn't think, considering you're already going through them all every time you get a new version.

2) The Assimilation game option allows you to capture enemy cities and build their native starting cultures there, which then provides that native culture base to your entire nation, from where all other cities may be able to build a specific culture based on. This gives us another motive to conquer ;) I'm kinda liking that.

A couple questions -

1. You could do what i do with the User Settings, i keep them on my "Desktop" in a folder by itself for each time i change my main game, then all i have to do is go into that folder and override what is there and i have the game settings the way i want them to e played all set up and ready to go. You could do that also for the events XML, as long as nothing gets changed in that area, but then thats why they made "WinMerge."

2. I dont quite understand this question, you can get a whole lots of culture civs as long as the resources are available to that city?
The whole point of the Culture Civs is where you build your cities, and what resources are they when you build them. . . . ie: if your stuck in a Tundra setting, your not going to get many Culture Civs (if any).
But the choose of picking your own cultures is never going to happen because thats the fun of the game, is the premise of resources vs where you put your cities on this tile or that tile. Then that make it the way it supposed to be, No two games are never the same. Or am i off the mark here in what your saying???

If you post just the files with your changes I will look and see if it is possible to make it a modmod.

ie: if your stuck in a Tundra setting, your not going to get many Culture Civs (if any).

Here are some cultures that either require Tundra or require resources that spawn in the Tundra.

- Ainu (Asian) [Furs]
- Canadian (American) [Furs]
- Inuit (American) [Walrus]
- Russian (European) [Furs]
- Viking (European) [Prime Timber]

Not much at least its something. I also have plans for a Siberian culture for the Asian realm.

If you play as African, Middle Eastern or Oceanian you will not have much luck in a Tundra start.

OK, now, after all the helpful feedback on my original gamespeed balancing by JosEPh, Bluegenie, Koshling, and others, I have instituted my second pass at this. Below are the full details.

Gamespeed Turn#s and Research Modifiers

Snail:

(Era: Turns/Techs/Research Modifier)

Prehistoric: 750/88/100 --- 50KBC-8000BC
Ancient: 800/41/222 --- 8000BC-1000BC
Classical: 900/45/250 ---1000BC-500AD
Medieval: 600/36/400 --- 500AD-1300AD
Renaissance: 900/56/250 --- 1300AD-1800AD
Industrial: 900/75/300 --- 1800AD-1950AD
Modern: 900/64/400 --- 1950AD-2025AD
Transhuman: 600/49/400 --- 2025AD-2125AD
Galactic: 900/74/500 --- 2125AD-2275AD

TOTAL: 7250 Turns

Eternity:

Prehistoric: 1500/88/100 --- 50KBC-8000BC
Ancient: 1600/41/250 --- 8000BC-1000BC
Classical: 1800/45/300 ---1000BC-500AD
Medieval: 1200/36/400 --- 500AD-1300AD
Renaissance: 1800/56/300 --- 1300AD-1800AD
Industrial: 1800/75/300 --- 1800AD-1950AD
Modern: 1825/64/400 --- 1950AD-2010AD
Transhuman: 1080/49/400 --- 2010AD-2100AD
Galactic: 1800/74/500 ---2100AD-2250AD

TOTAL: 14405 Turns

Epic:

Prehistoric: 300/88/100 --- 50KBC-8000BC
Ancient: 320/41/222 --- 8000BC-1000BC
Classical: 260/45/250 ---1000BC-500AD
Medieval: 240/36/400 --- 500AD-1300AD
Renaissance: 360/56/250 --- 1300AD-1800AD
Industrial: 360/75/300 --- 1800AD-1950AD
Modern: 365/64/400 --- 1950AD-2025AD
Transhuman: 240/49/400 --- 2025AD-2125AD
Galactic: 360/74/500 --- 2125AD-2275AD

TOTAL: 2895 Turns

As always, feedback is appreciated in the Balance Thread.

Here are some cultures that either require Tundra or require resources that spawn in the Tundra.

- Ainu (Asian) [Furs]
- Canadian (American) [Furs]
- Inuit (American) [Walrus]
- Russian (European) [Furs]
- Viking (European) [Prime Timber]

Not much at least its something. I also have plans for a Siberian culture for the Asian realm.

If you play as African, Middle Eastern or Oceanian you will not have much luck in a Tundra start.

Some more ideas:

European:

Sami
Iceland

North American:

Aleut
Greenland(Yes I have two heros and a Culture Unit planned)

Koshling,
what ever you did to the AI, they are using the correct promotion now, thx.

DH,
I believe your the one that added the Savanna Grass to appear like the forest do, nice, wish more terrain like that could happen, great ideas guys.

Koshling,
what ever you did to the AI, they are using the correct promotion now, thx.

DH,
I believe your the one that added the Savanna Grass to appear like the forest do, nice, wish more terrain like that could happen, great ideas guys.

according to the pic you play as israel, but werent they eventually taken out??? :confused:

Top Bottom