Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

When he built that it was 2008 maybe sooner i believe which then was 3.13 or something like that, then it went to 3.19 and it hasn't been updated since, i talked with him when he first came back from a 4 years hyhaitus then was only back for like 2 months and now has left over a year ago already again.

So it need a TON of python and SVN to be even close to having it work.

Well in that case, ill create new techs with it in BTS and then modify the X and Y grids in notepad..

@Thunderbrd your option "Infinite XP" is currently only about not loosing XP when you upgrade a unit. Is that correct? Shouldn't it also remove the limit on how much XP you can get from barbarian and wild animals? If it did then we could also make those promotions that remove the limit dependent on your option being off. It would make a "cleaner" C2C. :)

I've been playing with v23, and it feels to me like the Bourgeois civic appears too early. Right now it activates with Aristocracy, when historically the aristocracy was opposed to the middle-class. My suggestion would be to have Bourgeois be activated by Liberalism - the latter was the dominant ideology of the former, and would represent the historical rise of the middle-class in the late-renaissance/industrial eras, as opposed to the classical era.

We are looking at the civics at the moment and have some changes in the works. If we miss this one please tell us again later. The main person working on civics has moved on so it is a bit chaotic.

@Thunderbrd your option "Infinite XP" is currently only about not loosing XP when you upgrade a unit. Is that correct? Shouldn't it also remove the limit on how much XP you can get from barbarian and wild animals? If it did then we could also make those promotions that remove the limit dependent on your option being off. It would make a "cleaner" C2C. :)

Yes, and I could easily do that... and as a player would far prefer it, especially with the extra movement promos requiring an extra promo step in the early game. I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes there. If we want it to include unlimiting barb xps, I'd love to make that extremely easy conversion. In the original plan it was intended to before those promos were made. I'd just remove the promos entirely in this scheme. The AI isn't using them very well anyhow.

Yes, and I could easily do that... and as a player would far prefer it, especially with the extra movement promos requiring an extra promo step in the early game. I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes there. If we want it to include unlimiting barb xps, I'd love to make that extremely easy conversion. In the original plan it was intended to before those promos were made. I'd just remove the promos entirely in this scheme. The AI isn't using them very well anyhow.

No. I was just saying that your "Infinite XP" does not live up to what it says. If you Changed the name to "No loss of XP on upgrade" then it would be named right. However if you want it to be real unlimited then you should also remove the limits from barbarian and wild animal combat as well. If you do we could then have those promotions not appear when you have that option on. If the option is off then they would still appear. AI choice of is another matter and I thought I had changed its behaviour by requiring one or other of the first woodsman or gurella promotions.

No. I was just saying that your "Infinite XP" does not live up to what it says. If you Changed the name to "No loss of XP on upgrade" then it would be named right. However if you want it to be real unlimited then you should also remove the limits from barbarian and wild animal combat as well. If you do we could then have those promotions not appear when you have that option on. If the option is off then they would still appear. AI choice of is another matter and I thought I had changed its behaviour by requiring one or other of the first woodsman or gurella promotions.

I thought Koshling posted what the differences were already in another post, 2 separate items.:confused:

Alright. Sounds good to me... I'll get that in on my next update then. If you're the one with the controls on those promos, I'll leave it to you to make sure that they are option conditional. The option should be fully exposed for py modding already so far as I understand all that side of things.

Alright. Sounds good to me... I'll get that in on my next update then. If you're the one with the controls on those promos, I'll leave it to you to make sure that they are option conditional. The option should be fully exposed for py modding already so far as I understand all that side of things.

It can be done in the XML, I think.:p

We are looking at the civics at the moment and have some changes in the works. If we miss this one please tell us again later. The main person working on civics has moved on so it is a bit chaotic.

Thanks, is there a thread where it is being or will be discussed?

Apart from that turns a 'slightly easy' (keep XP on upgrade) option into an 'unbeatable overkill' (keeps XP on upgrade, AND doesn't need Hunter/Barbar promotions) option. If your unit keeps all XP on upgrade, and doesn't need the Hunter/Barbar promotions, there's a potential to end up with way way OP units. Plenty of my hunter class units already end up being at a high level - I like the keep XP on upgrade option for them because it means they stay in use for a long time and gain loads of promotions, removing the Hunter/Barbar promotions and making the effects of those promotions the default for that option would just mean even more powerful units.

I vote for a change of name/description, rather than a change in functionality.

Apart from that turns a 'slightly easy' (keep XP on upgrade) option into an 'unbeatable overkill' (keeps XP on upgrade, AND doesn't need Hunter/Barbar promotions) option. If your unit keeps all XP on upgrade, and doesn't need the Hunter/Barbar promotions, there's a potential to end up with way way OP units. Plenty of my hunter class units already end up being at a high level - I like the keep XP on upgrade option for them because it means they stay in use for a long time and gain loads of promotions, removing the Hunter/Barbar promotions and making the effects of those promotions the default for that option would just mean even more powerful units.

I vote for a change of name/description, rather than a change in functionality.

I don't believe in overpowered units when any player can get one and there's always that strange chance you'll lose one in a routine manner, especially when the main units to benefit might be a couple of hunter-style troops. There's already a number of frustrations for highly experienced troops still becoming obsolete due to the particular kinds of upgrades they've taken going functionally obsolete (like anti-melee for example, or promos chosen before other, superior ones, become available.)

I had a lvl 20 Hunter die on a 99.9% attack in the last game. He was one of two units to really benefit from a direct adjustment to the xml that achieved the same unlimited behavior. And no troop especially in the early game, can become so powerful as to be invulnerable to its 'nemesis' style unit. (unitai counter)

So I'm not reluctant in the least to add this fairly minor adjustment back into the game. So what if we have a couple super units? Its earned Hero status, ain't it? More guts more glory! (and how good will you feel when you find the few units that have benefited from the same settings on the AI roster and vanquish them, taking away one of their most highly earned assets?)

@AIAndy: How does your music script work? I want to know so that I can make my own C2C always play BrentalFloss' "Civ with lyrics" on the main menu, as I don't really like the other music options. Is that simple to accomplish or does it require some work? Thanks.

@AIAndy: How does your music script work? I want to know so that I can make my own C2C always play BrentalFloss' "Civ with lyrics" on the main menu, as I don't really like the other music options. Is that simple to accomplish or does it require some work? Thanks.

Yeah I think BrentalFloss is the best one of the 4.

I would rather see it done the way that the FFH2 multiplayer mod did it, which was you could chose to pick your own traits.

Every time it runs (when BUG initializes), it takes a random file from the Sounds/soundtrack/Title folder and changes the XML to make it the title music for the next time you start the game.
While Civ with lyrics is great, I enjoy some variety when I have to restart the game often during modding.

I would rather see it done the way that the FFH2 multiplayer mod did it, which was you could chose to pick your own traits.

This is a part of a project that's nearing my agenda but is still a fair bit off. I have a massive modding effort to do with this and want to master a number of coding regions before diving into this but I do have a project for this in mind that should be fairly revolutionary in its entirety (so will likely be a gameoption at first...)

Top Bottom