1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Later era starts need some work on the building XML. That is about editing maps and changing stuff during a game.

2. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yes, but the amount of time needed to do that would be immense.

You could theoretically write a script to automate that, which is interesting now that I think about it.

@Python people: Would making such an automation be at all possible or reasonable, or would it be better to do in the DLL?

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Obviously you and I use the Worldbuilder differently. As far as I can see it is use for making scenarios and maps or changing something in your current game.

What needs to be done for Era Start stuff is
    • deciding the buildings in each city (FreeEra and FreeNewCity tags in XML can do that)
    • what cities you have and where Python or dll - where ever it is now
    • units - ditto
    • infrastructure (roads, mines etc) - ditto

Or do you mean for people making a scenario starting in a latter era? In which case I think the buildings are assigned based on the FreeEra tag already. We just have not defined very many.

4. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

The new World Builder has a nice feature that lets you define the buildings you want in one city and then copy it to all others.

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Then my original answer still stands - no, except for scenario building.

6. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

That is why I only quoted the last sentence, as I agreed with the rest and wanted to make an addition to the last one :)

7. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Sorry, I phrased that wrong. I know that manually building it won't work, my question was really can the new WB setup be automated by other code, this reducing the work needed to make an era start mechanism?

8. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

No, it would not reduce work at all.

9. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

In my current game I succeeded to research the full tech tree. In the end research times become crazily long (more than 100 turns even with an absolutely full developped empire) but I could shorten this by saving my wonders that provide a free tech until late.

But now I develop "Analyze Strings" which are the Future Techs that can be researched endlessly often. They do provide one :health: and one :) . I´d love to see if they also would provide -5 crime and -5 air pollution each. This would give an incentive to push the research while waiting for the space ship to arrive. Other properties could be affected, too, of course...

10. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Good to know. What speed are you playing?

11. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

Snail.

Constructing the late buildings also takes ages. Spaceship parts can take more than 100 turns even with all buildings that provide hammers and improve spaceship building. And this in cities that are improved by fusion plants the others are really lagging behind a lot.

12. CiverDan

CiverDan Warlord

Decided to start a game back in late December on Largest/slowest setting just to see if I could get through the tech tree. Toward late Transhuman era now. Doing it on Settler for lol's (popped 150 tribes from huts). Have 515 cities now. 1.2 mil research a turn at turn 1040. only thing that sucks besides the 20 min turn times is the 100+ turn build time for the ITER (prereq. for Fusion Plant) in a capital with 6000 production a turn i.e. size 150 with every possible production building/wonder w/unlimited wonders. Note that this game was started with the nasty global warming stuff not in the svn, which I haven't updated while playing. I am sure everything would be desert otherwise haha.

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yeah, things are a bit wonky that late in the game. Starting on settler probably also wasn't a very good idea either.

14. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

But if it is taking that long on settler, allowing way bigger cities and empires due to less :yuck: :mad: and better rev index, and by that the way bigger production and research... how long wouldit take let´s say on emperor? :D

15. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Much more, mainly because I have changed tech scaling since V28 and you won't be getting 150 cities in the Prehistoric era.

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Suggestion: when a nation becomes a vassal or a new colony is formed that vassal (or colony) should get a mini golden age if 2 turns so that they can change their civics and then their religion.

Currently they can spend 1000's of turns in anarchy after they come into existence because they have to change their civics from the base civics to what ever their favorite ones would be. This is crippling them.

The two turn golden age is the simplest way I could think of to solve the problem.

17. MaXimillionZero

MaXimillionZero Warlord

Why two? You can change both civics and religion in a single turn. Unless the AI is incapable of doing that?

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I just thought you needed two, one for the civics and another for the religion.

19. charlesb96

charlesb96 King

I have never been able to change both a religion and a civic in the same turn.

What is the possibility of making resources a discoverable terrain feature? I do not feel that just because you have researched a tech, that all the resources it reveals should show up everywhere on the map. It should reveal only within visual range of units or borders. You should not know about a source of Grapes 1,000 miles away until you go there and see them.

Now that there is a North and a South America culture, how about a Central America? Put the Caribbean cultures, Pirate, Cuba, Hatti, Carib, and such in there with Mexico, Aztec, Maya.

20. MaXimillionZero

MaXimillionZero Warlord

Yeah, apparently you can't. I could swear I'd done it before during a golden age, but I guess that must have been in BtS or another mod.