1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I have been trying now for 3 years to get NSIS to work correctly, but having ADHD really bad, i cant understand alot of the "How to:blush:" in the file attached, i have a READ me and a BtS script installer how to, so if anyone can figure that out MORE POWER to YA!!

2. charlesb96

charlesb96 King

If I have the Great Wall, and a rebellion starts up in my Empire, disorganized rebels, barbarians, are they thrown out right away or do they get one turn to mess with me? Will any of my cities fall to the barbarians because of rebellion?

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

They are thrown out at the end of the turn.

4. charlesb96

charlesb96 King

Is it possible to have a GEM in a custom game. They are in the private maps folder, but they do not show up in the map choice.

5. Pajpak

Pajpak Chieftain

Have you tried Custom SCENARIO?

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yup - GEM is a scenario, not a map.

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok, so I was mostly trying to hide the huge long list of experience modifiers while retaining the ability to see it when you care to (without having to go through tons of bug options to turn it on and off.) I can easily make the primary production information a part of the main... you're right that wouldn't be problematic I think. I'll have to take a bit of time to update here before I can manipulate the dll at all.

8. strategyonly

OK, but its just like i said, it just that ONE line is all, no biggy on the others, thx.

9. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

I have a suggestion, which I presume (but could be wrong) would be rather easy and would help a lot of noobies.

Given the discussions on turn speed and the complete imbalance of the BTS faster speeds... why not rename them all compeletly
    Make 'snail' the new 'normal' and adjust the names from there, and eliminate the high speed BTS modes that are out of whack?

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Agreed. But blitz is/was just so useful for playtesting (though I'm not sure it still works right...)

11. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

Suggestion: Units should not be able to cross over rivers until Raft Building. I understand that they can just swim but some rivers are so wide that I don't see this happening. In reality they would probably follow the rivers because there is no pressing reason to cross them.

12. strategyonly

And in a game, how is that possible?

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It could be done with programming. However... what happens when your city is surrounded by rivers at the beginning of the game?

14. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

@strategyonly: I'm not much of a programmer. I don't know how this would be possible. It's just an idea.

@Thunderbrd: Well I guess you're s.o.l. I agree it would make the game more challenging and that's the idea.

15. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

Then you are in a whole new world of hurt. One that would have people coming here and complaining about it. Inevitably, many of your resources will be on the other side of a river and you won't be able to improve them - that nice riverside wheat which you were expecting to use to drive your city's population growth is, of course, on the other side of the river so no seed camp improvement, no +1 health from improved wheat, no quern (even if you have stone you can get to), and so on...

Not that I like the idea much to begin with, but you could allow river crossing only if they are in your cultural borders before the enabling tech. That would be a lot like how you can go onto ocean plots if they are within your cultural borders regardless of what techs you have (well, as long as you have the tech to make some sort of watercraft).

16. n47

n47 Prince

We can probably make to not choose river-trapped locations for start places. :) Generally I like the idea.

17. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

What about Rivers with no Forest / Jungle / Bamboo near them?
    What about frozen rivers?
    Much rivers have flat parts and can be passed without even swimming.
    Some tribes (if not all) uses Ropes and then layaway (?) through the water.

18. intlidave

intlidave Chieftain

By itself this seems like a bad idea. At the very least it would also need fords, where rivers can be crossed. Will probably work in combination with navigable rivers (and maybe a whole new type of river "Big River", which cannot be crossed by land units, but can be navigated by water units).

19. n47

n47 Prince

We can't simulate everything. But most of rivers which are marked on maps are generally impassable without bridges or some kind of ferries. Such rivers also rarely freeze enough to be safely passable, except colder regions.

The lack of wood nearby is in fact a problem. But we really can't simulate everything. It could be possible to build ferry improvement on a plot, but this would involve making possible more then one of them per plot.

@intlidave, it's not a perfect solution, but I think it is better then what we have now. Actually, developing some serious river crossing system can be a nice idea. -- From what I know, river crossings were always key strategic points.

20. strategyonly