1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

@strategyonly
    What do you think about the new picture seen in the audio options?
    I couldn't find a way to use it in the launch splash screen as you wanted but at least it's in game now. ^^

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

????

3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

You posted the picture (that I recently placed in the Audio Options) in this post.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  4. strategyonly

ok, awhile back, but sure looks good, thx. . . . heck if its a day old i forget everything lately, lol

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Hey :old: boss! Nice to see you doing some posting. :cooool:

6. strategyonly

yeah not much anymore, sorry guys, just too much going on lately, infact i have a Veteran's appt Wednesday to have an epidural shot in my back again . .cant stand the pain anymore . .

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Back pain sucks! How's the breathing been?

8. strategyonly

not the greatest, i cough (really) hard and long about 10 times a day, but thx for asking . .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm reviewing this thread to see if I can find something I lost a long time ago and this comment stood out. You make a GREAT point about how the same building could be given yield/commerce powerups with new tech achievements. HOWEVER, how would you adapt to increase the construction cost? Should buildings have tech points where their base costs are readjusted to a new standard with a new tag that defines the techs at which the costs change and what costs they change to at that point? Might seem like we're adding a lot of new data but probably, as you point out, a hell of a lot less than if we were to add a lot of new buildings to represent new stages of modernity for a lot of buildings.

Interesting thoughts!

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

What do we want to achieve here? My thoughts are

In game it looks like one building that improves yields over time but if you build it late then its cost to build is more ie matches the new yield.
    There are a number of ways to implement that now but it is probably a bit clunky and I am not sure if the "events" happen in the correct order. It also does not look like one building but acts like one in game. The current method would be something like:-
    • XML defines the building and each upgrade as a new building. All have the same yield by tech but each is obsoleted by the tech that gives access to the new building
    • when a player gets the upgrade tech a check is made in each city to see if it had the old building built (and now obsolete). If it did then it gets the upgrade building free.
    The problem with this is the caching and house cleaning functions may make finding the obsolete building impossible ie it may have been fully removed rather than marked as built but obsolete and should be removed.

If I were designing it from scratch I would have two files (tables, views or what ever they call it these days;) ) one is the Building Infos file which contains the name of the building, its initial cost (iCost) and the tech changes tags. The second would have a just Tech and iCost on it having the base cost for buildings at that tech - This could be derived from the current building infos file if needed. When the building is selected (or displayed) to be built the iCost is the highest iCost based on the initial one and all the techs in the tech changes tags.

As you can see this does not require any more tags or files unless we want the new building to have a special iCost which may differ from the tech derived one. In that case an iCost needs to be added into the tech changes tags.

For example
    Code:
                <TechCommerceChanges>
                    <TechCommerceChange>
                        <PrereqTech>TECH_BIOFUELS</PrereqTech>
                        <TechCommerce>
                            <iCommerce>5</iCommerce>
                        </TechCommerce>
                    </TechCommerceChange>
                </TechCommerceChanges>

would become
    Code:
                <TechCommerceChanges>
                    <TechCommerceChange>
                        <PrereqTech>TECH_BIOFUELS</PrereqTech>
    <iCost>xxxx</iCost>
                        <TechCommerce>
                            <iCommerce>5</iCommerce>
                        </TechCommerce>
                    </TechCommerceChange>
                </TechCommerceChanges>

or similar

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The goal would be to not need more building definitions. Since we have TechCommerceChanges and TechYieldChanges, I was thinking that it could be useful to just have a new tag for TechCost which would establish a newly defined base cost at the point that tech is achieved. Such a new tag would be easier than nesting in the TechCommerceChanges and TechYieldChanges I think but achieves pretty much the same goal. I'm thinking of some additional functionality later too, like TechCommerceByPopulationChanges, TechCommerceModificationChanges and so on and it would be easier to make those and would be less data to store if we had a centralized new tag for resetting the base cost by tech.

But all in all, it seems you get the point. Then I wonder if we should add another nested value to the TechCost tag that could re'label' the building once it passes a tech threshold, and perhaps another nested tag that changes the graphic reference (so that the button could have updates after certain techs are reached)? Maybe the tag should be TechUpdates and should nest Cost, Commerce, Yield, Name, Graphics Reference, CommerceByPopulation, YieldByPopulation, CommerceModification, YieldModification and anything else we choose to nest into that tag.

I think we can even write out tech changes into the existing property modifiers coding if we wish, without further need for tag work.

This would NOT obsolete the need for replacement building chains either... particularly where unit prereqs are concerned. But it would give us a fast track to being able to create autoupgrades to simple building types like farms and temples and mines and such. And it could pave the way for other similar types of projects that help us to more easily balance some ongoing upgrade concepts.

13. armenia4ever

armenia4ever Chieftain

Currently, I've noticed that there is no way - at least one that I am aware of - that allows you to target specific civilizations with the auto hunt/kill commands for your outlaws, assassins, etc type of units. Is something that would be possible?

I figure that if you are trying to target one civ while building others up to act as counterbalance, it would make sense.

Thoughts?

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

No. No current way. But it would be an interesting thing to setup. I'll put it on the list of potential projects for someday. Good idea.

15. strategyonly

does anyone have the "new" way to get into or get youtube videos for free, it used to be: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/, but that is not working anymore???

16. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

What's this about youtube videos not being free anymore???

18. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I think he wants to rip the soundtrack off a YT video. There may be some services out there that does this for a fee, I don't know.

19. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

If you install the free version of RealPlayer from www.real.com you get a plugin in your internet browser that lets you download video's directly from any website that contains video's (not just youtube) to your harddisk.
    VLC player is a free open source media player that also has a useful tool to convert video file formats. One option is to convert to .mp3 or .wav, meaning you only keep the sound.

20. Jozef

Jozef Chieftain

Good day. Thank you all for the work on this great mod.
    Is there estimated time of arrival for the next version of the mod?