1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Dr. Elephant

Dr. Elephant Warlord

True. Also don't forget the Saami who use them on a everyday base. And also the Tsaatan people: , which may explain why I have (once) readed an article about Mongolian warriors riding deers.

2. Filochard

Filochard Chieftain

What do you think of the addition of the Tamed Hyena and make it available in the tamer complex ?

3. DC0

DC0 Warlord

Oh! Might this be a reason that Workboat (classical), while it should be able to move 2 tiles in a turn, now can only move 1 tile?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

cool

5. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I did test if AI can go into space.
    I did AI autorun on my no AI space map (that is making game with only one lonely AI).
    On 400th turn AI reached Nanotech era, but that should be taken with pinch of salt, even though TD/WFL couldn't do anything, as my space map is very rich in resources.
    AI didn't even built cities anywhere.
    Pace settings was Noble/Blitz/Standard.
    Conclusion is that AI doesn't want to go to space as it doesn't build chemical plant (this plant was buildable though) required for rocket fuel factory required for NASA national wonder required to start space program.
    I wonder if that is because AI dislikes building chains, or AI is just not interested with that chain.
    Also plenty of NWs and WWs weren't built.

I'll enable space race and science victory to see what AI will do.
    I also disabled developing traits.
    Also I had no metropolitan administration requirement for third ring being active.

Without developing traits I should reach Information era on 400th (reached modern era on 300th turn) turn.
    I guess AI was expanding more.
    Also interestingly with space race/science victory AI is bit slower with tech, may be result of developing traits being deactivated.
    But is anomaly as there are no competitors.
    And on that test AI also refused to build certain factories.

Would AI build NASA, if I was playing normally with multiple AI?

----
    I'm testing Alternative Solar System map by Kation now.
    I'm using Joseph's (or at least very close, as I enabled Realistic corporation option, that is essentially Automatic corporations option) settings.
    Pace settings are Blitz/Noble/Large (Tiny earth map).
    I have time, space race and science victories enabled.
    Ehhh game slowed unbearably (one minute per turn on 200th turn).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The AI has never been programmed to handle space maps in the slightest. Pepper knew that would be the case for a long time going in. And it may never be - multimaps will probably trump that first. Space map intent is completely sandbox at that futuristic point.

7. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Considering that NASA could be counted as ordinary NW boosting research if it wasn't for initiating space exploration, I'm surprised AI doesn't want to build it.
    Also I thought AI fails only at building/using space related units.
    If you look at both of my saves you could see, that AI is very lazy to build things even without any external pressure.
    A lot of NWs and WWs were skipped too. Also some resource producing factories were skipped.
    But building reluctance probably is going to be fixed in next patch, right?

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

They probably would after a while. For that reason.

Including settlers that can traverse that terrain... maybe. I've never looked at it directly.

Depends on what you mean by 'things'. Some 'things' it is very fast to build.

I might have to put that under a microscope to see why that happens. May have something to do with a calculation that shows that it's not worth the return on investment or something.

I've seen and installed some improvements in places which has kept some things from being an issue there but there's still some oddities to the whole structure that's causing slippages to processes when I don't believe it should be doing so. That said, such an evaluation I may take a look at before a rerelease and I may not. The AI isn't failing to be a challenge really and probably moreso than it has been in a long while. But if everyone feels that its worth waiting a few more weeks for a rerelease over this then by all means, I'll take a look at it before we go forward further.

raxo2222 likes this.
  9. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Normal buildings sometimes linger for few eras as well national/world wonders.
    If building is prereq for other stuff, then it should be built.

10. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

@raxo2222 I'm in late medieval but I found the AI in my game builds a lot more cities than in yours, interestingly, as the map is practically filled by now.

In your games have you tried seeing if constructing the Hubble wonder makes the AI less reluctant to venture to space?

Attached Files:

11. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Problem is that they aren't even building NASA National Wonder and rocket fuel factory.
    Those two still are in Earth side of things even though they are required to start space program.

As for my space map its probably from lack of external pressure.
    On your alien world they filled most of map by Classical era.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  12. Dr. Elephant

Dr. Elephant Warlord

I may have found an interesting image for Rhino wonder:
    eclectic_1438.jpg

Badly, I forgot from where this image came, though.

Gendry and tmv like this.
  13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

QUOTE="raxo2222, post: 15118663, member: 211403"]10061
    Removed latitude limits from space buildings.[/QUOTE]
    Did you do it in a way that increases the cost the further you are from the equator? If not then you have done it wrong. Instead of removing the latitude limits you should have added new buildings for each increment in cost for matching bands.

Eg if costs = x for latitude < 23.5 then for latitude 23.5-35 it should 1.5x; 35-45 then 2x, 45-50 then 3x, 50-60 then 5x and above 60 then 20x.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Did you do it in a way that increases the cost the further you are from the equator? If not then you have done it wrong. Instead of removing the latitude limits you should have added new buildings for each increment in cost for matching bands.

Eg if costs = x for latitude < 23.5 then for latitude 23.5-35 it should 1.5x; 35-45 then 2x, 45-50 then 3x, 50-60 then 5x and above 60 then 20x.[/QUOTE]
    But the problem with having lattitude based anything is that if you're on a space map, half the lattitude bands are space and other map types rather than earth.

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

So we break the main game for a temporary fix? Sounds bad to me. If you want it only in the space map then all you need do is have a bit of XML containing
    Code:
            <BuildingInfo>
                <Type>BUILDING_xxxxx</Type>
                <iMinLatitude>90</iMinLatitude>
            </BuildingInfo>

DC0 likes this.
  16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

In a module intended for use with the space map? That could work. Rax will probably need a bit more guidance on that solution.

17. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

That trick could work, if there was some sort of script, that detected if map has non-earth map categories or terrains.
    Same thing could be done with animal spawning and map resources if we get spacemap generating map script.

Normal space related buildings, that were latitude limited were overwritten by pepper module, so they became offworld buildings.
    Effectively this change affected Space Elevator WW and Space Laboratory NW.

Also latitude limits would be different, if it was normal map but with Earth being in closer/farther orbit resulting in bigger tropical/polar region.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

What he's suggesting would be to use the editing qualities of a module that is normally turned off but you'd turn it on for the map you're using if you need a module for that map (aka any space map would need it's own module for this.)

KaTiON_PT and raxo2222 like this.
  19. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Could be this made into game option?
    Basically you would decide if you want to play with or without latitude/longitude (animal spawning) limits.
    My space map is horizontal, there are few more like this.

It would be useful on Earth map, that has tropical terrains up to 60 latitude or polar terrains up to 30 latitude too.
    Or custom Earth map, that had artificial climate.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Maybe but not all that easily. And if you wanted to do it 'right' as DH is proposing, you'd need a different option for each space map.