Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

I was going to ask why you are making that point, which I did get from what you were saying, and then it occurred to me that you were talking about DH's example... and maybe he was trying to say to do that though why taking it right out entirely seems to accomplish the same thing. I might have been misunderstanding DH on this.

However, I've also proposed a way for modules that should be turned on with special maps could solve for making the needed adjustments to where the latitude prereqs should be set for certain buildings.

I once threw in the idea that "Software" buildings should cost less with every building of that type that's build. Just like Unique Units cost 15% more, these buildings should cost less and less.
Any new thoughts on that?

That setting max latitude to 90 or min latitude to 0 is equivalent to removal of such latitude limits.
You can't use zero in modular XML it does not work. Modular XML is based on the old "Master/Update" methods and zero means don't change.

The alternative is to have all the building XML in the module and use the force overwrite tag. You will then have to change the XML every time a building is changed. You don't have to worry about it if you use my example.

I was just wondering, since the whole enviromental damage(cold/heat) is new to me, does the A.I yet "understand" that those plots damages units. I'm just wondering since I use auto-hunt, so far I'd had to keep an eye on my hunters. Am I being too cautious? Is there away to disable to plot damage effect?

I don't think the AI understands terrain damage, no. I've had several coastal/polar cities that they've just sent wave after wave of armies overland to die in the wilderness just outside my border for instead of taking a ship.

I don't think the AI understands terrain damage, no. I've had several coastal/polar cities that they've just sent wave after wave of armies overland to die in the wilderness just outside my border for instead of taking a ship.
It understands it to the degree it won't stop there (in most cases) and it will try to route around it but if it must go through it, such an alternate route of using a naval transport isn't something it's advanced enough to do.

I have no idea about feasibility, but is it possible to have a BUG option "No Automatic bombard on neutrals animals"? It's quite annoying when the automatiic bombers prefer an attack on a whale than on a barbarian ship

I have no idea about feasibility, but is it possible to have a BUG option "No Automatic bombard on neutrals animals"? It's quite annoying when the automatiic bombers prefer an attack on a whale than on a barbarian ship
I'm not sure. I've never looked at the coding for automatic bombing nor would I play with it on.

1) Is it possible to have the automated city builders (either the standard or "the one that the ai uses") build wonders?
2) Is there a value the AI uses to determine when to change civics? Would it be possible to have it display when hovering over the civic name in the civil screen while Ctrl is pressed, like it is done in the city screen for buildings/wonders? A pop-up civic change suggestion would be nice too.
3) Military units on the automate hunt option should be attacking weak animals instead of moving to another tile/getting stuck if no other tile is available.

Last edited:
Is it possible to have the automated city builders (either the standard or "the one that the ai uses") build wonders?
They do. On autoplay I see the AI building wonders rather aggressively, perhaps almost to a detriment at times but it's hard to ask the city to account for more than it does now when making that determination. Humans can collect trivial national level game data and factor it into their thinking much faster than an AI can and when it tries its often easy to have it give too much weight towards a factor that it should hardly be considering - in THIS case, but not necessarily in another. To an extent, simple is best.

That said, there may be something in the human automation code where it skips looking at wonders and stays focused on immediate needs more, allowing you to make the call when to interrupt the normal to build the abnormal. Probably wise to let a human play a game they are engaged in playing when it comes to big decisions at least.

Is there a value the AI uses to determine when to change civics? Would it be possible to have it display when hovering over the civic name in the civil screen while Ctrl is pressed, like it is done in the city screen for buildings/wonders? A pop-up civic change suggestion would be nice too.
It is not derived so easily that this would be likely to be made possible. Each player finds different results based on many factors taking place in the game and the cost in time for the system to evaluate this is one of the larger chunks of the turn time delay many complain about. It's cached significantly but currently the human player never runs this code and if it did there may be a number of places we'd have to make it possible to calculate for a human player and then interestingly enough, your leader would color the results for you as well. Maybe someday I'll consider looking into this but for now it's not trivial and could add even more turn time.

Military units on the automate hunt option should be attacking weak animals instead of moving to another tile/getting stuck if no other tile is available.
The key lies in the odds setting in the BUG options. There's still a possibility that it doesn't happen due to rounding coming down to a value of 0 somewhere in the code though and it's on the list of to-do projects to look into it further at some point.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: The pigeons in the ungoverned Neutral Zone are a threat to national security and they must be punished for their crimes against humanity!
President: But the public is weary of perpetual warfare. Is there a peaceful solution?
JCS: Err ... our bombers need experience points for when we launch our sneak against the dastardly Romans!
President: I see. Bombs away!

"No, you can't disable unhappiness from murder with Disneyland" - raxo2222 This is the quote of the year. :lol:

@Thunderbrd I think your changes made Revolutions less harsh for AI as it got better control on properties.
Wasn't crime by far worst factor in Revolutions game option?

@Thunderbrd I think your changes made Revolutions less harsh for AI as it got better control on properties.
Wasn't crime by far worst factor in Revolutions game option?
Yes. Are you saying this is a problem or a victory? The AI has always had more trouble with rev than the player and that has made rev more reluctant for many players to want to use.

Yes. Are you saying this is a problem or a victory? The AI has always had more trouble with rev than the player and that has made rev more reluctant for many players to want to use.
Victory, as this option does less damage to AI now.
It now can damage player more than AI, if player gets crime values to very high values in midgame and later, for example when intentionally producing criminal units to harass enemy.

I corrected small mistake with Gastronomy tech.
When I was checking tech tree in pedia for similar mistakes, I noticed that three techs descriptions didn't age well.
Accelerated Germination - Magnetic Monopoles aren't a thing until Cosmic era. Now its genetics not magnetics influencing plant growth.
Euclidean 5-Space Geometry - concept of college or government are anachronistic in that part of tech tree. Its now several cosmic civilizations.
String Analysis - This is done like continuously by time you arrive at this point. Simulation Analysis sounds like logical step after Simulation Awareness.

Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-14 10-36-34-48.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-14 10-39-04-29.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-14 10-28-01-67.jpg

I discovered another weird thing during testing Mormon things.
@Thunderbrd can I disable this: <iInvasionChance>5</iInvasionChance> in catacombs normal building?
It just spams useless alert.
It is used only by catacombs and nothing else.

Spoiler :

Duelsized Arboria lacks critical resources like Indigo/Henna needed for dyes by the way....

Last edited:
Duelsized Arboria lacks critical resources like Indigo/Henna needed for dyes by the way....
Most likely due to the size and indigo/henna not being denoted as 100% necessary to be placed on some % of plots. There are many resources that CAN end up not showing up on a map.

@Thunderbrd can I disable this: <iInvasionChance>5</iInvasionChance> in catacombs normal building?
It just spams useless alert.
I'm familiar with the building and the effect. The alert is due to animals that wander by the city I believe. Rather than disabling the tag, I'd prefer to maybe investigate what can be done to filter the alert further. It's been a very low priority bug issue since it's reporting. Elimination of unnecessary notifications are less than compelling in light of the more important corrections being made for the years we've spent in development here.

Top Bottom