Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Picture of something...?
You lost me there.
if u look at all the other icons there is a picture there, right, well, a picture . . . representing C2C, right . .

Oh right, the old icon, I'll put it back in.
i do like ur C2C icon, but it needs some kind of color to get rid of the white, , maybe just maybe have like "blood" dripping down from the top and then something else on the bottom, just thinking is all, but i do like the C2C in gold. . .

Wow according to this video we domesticated chickens about 7,400 years ago but did not start eating them until 2,300 years ago. Up until then they were entertainment only ie cock fighting. Should we change the :food: and :health: values of this resource to match :mischief:

Wow according to this video we domesticated chickens about 7,400 years ago but did not start eating them until 2,300 years ago. Up until then they were entertainment only ie cock fighting. Should we change the :food: and :health: values of this resource to match :mischief:
Surely we were at least eating the eggs immediately?

Surely we were at least eating the eggs immediately?
It does not say anything about the eggs just chickens. C2C has two resources eggs and poultry. Both are produced by the farms and improvements buildings. The Poultry one would be the one that would not have any :health: or :food: until later. It would start with :culture: and :gold: or :commerce: and changing over time to the :food: and :health:. A fairly simple change to the bonus XML I think.

Oh good grief. Heck no.:crazyeye::p:lol:

I find this finding hard to believe, though I do assume they have decent evidence for it.
The video is saying that there is direct evidence for Cock Fighting from 5400 BCE and no direct evidence for chickens being eaten until 300BCE

The video is an educational video not a scientific or journalistic paper. It does not site its sources but attempts to provide an overview of the evidence and thus our current understanding at this time. Chickens are just one of the domesticated animals talked about. What it says about chickens is
  1. They originate in South East Asia as jungle fowl. Ranging from what is today eastern India east through China and south to Sumatra and Java.
  2. They were domesticated about 7400 years ago.
  3. Male remains are plentiful and female remains are very scarce.
  4. Evidence for Cock Fighting also dates back 7400 years.
  5. The first evidence we have found for chickens being eaten anywhere is 2300 years ago in the middle East.
  6. It also includes the first time when the female remains out number the males.
Note: I have seen other sources say the same as points 1 & 2. I have not done any research on the other points.​
Things to remember about archaeology and paleontology
  1. Remains are very very very rare. If they weren't we would be up to our neck in bones.
  2. Remains only come from stuff that was thrown away, used cerimonially or by lucky coincidence.
Assumed in C2C is that humans ate anything that they could get their hands on rather than starve.In C2C we have a map bonus (ie resource) called poultry which is supposed to represent all the various small(ish) birds humans have or might have domesticated. This includes song birds, parrots, chickens and turkeys. However it does not represent the other bonuses we get such as eggs, feathers and leather. Big birds Rhea, Emu, Ostrich and Moa are handled differently. The map resource provides 3 :food: and 1 :health:. The only changes to yield over time occur due to changes in the terrain improvement used to provide the bonus and in the secondary buildings we have.

Based on the evidence given in the video the map bonus should not be providing any extra :food: on the plot and improvements only providing one extra food after 2300 year ago (300 BCE). Similarly buildings should not be providing food until this date. Changes in :food: production via the buildings and terrain improvements would stay the same if they are after 300 BCE.

If the Cock Fighting building provides an adequate representation of the incomes (yields) then there needs be no other changes to the poultry bonus.

The video also goes on to say that C2C is using the ibex with the puny horns as the wild source for goats which is wrong. We should be using the ibex with the massive horns. The ibex we use does have big horns but they are puny when compared to the actual ibex ancestor.
Yeah, no need to overcomplicate mod. I think if DH solely would be making mod, then it would have 2000 techs or so :p
No tech changes have been suggested. This is just another case of people have not always done things in the way the US of A does them today. Edit I meant to say no techs have been harmed in the making of this comment.

1. Male remains are plentiful and female remains are very scarce.
  2. Evidence for Cock Fighting also dates back 7400 years.
  3. The first evidence we have found for chickens being eaten anywhere is 2300 years ago in the middle East.
  4. It also includes the first time when the female remains out number the males.
Things to remember about archaeology and paleontology
  1. Remains are very very very rare. If they weren't we would be up to our neck in bones.
  2. Remains only come from stuff that was thrown away, used cerimonially or by lucky coincidence.
This sounds pretty suss.
1. If you breed them you will get as many females as males. Even if you kill most of the females ASAP, they should still leave remains. How do you make female remains selectively disappear?

2. Also, it would be practical to have quite a few females for breeding purposes. Even if you didn't recognize the importance of the female bloodlines, you would still want to reduce the rate at which they got "shagged out";).

3. How does evidence for cock fighting differ from evidence for eating?

4. If remains are what was thrown away, then mainly male remains implies that mainly males were thrown away.

5. Lastly, this should not be forced to happen in C2C just because this happened in our history. It would have required minimal additional tech/intelligence/research to eat the adult fowl when we started breeding them, therefore it should be at least possible for this to happen in the mod.

This sounds pretty suss.
1. If you breed them you will get as many females as males. Even if you kill most of the females ASAP, they should still leave remains. How do you make female remains selectively disappear?

2. Also, it would be practical to have quite a few females for breeding purposes. Even if you didn't recognize the importance of the female bloodlines, you would still want to reduce the rate at which they got "shagged out";).

3. How does evidence for cock fighting differ from evidence for eating?

4. If remains are what was thrown away, then mainly male remains implies that mainly males were thrown away.

5. Lastly, this should not be forced to happen in C2C just because this happened in our history. It would have required minimal additional tech/intelligence/research to eat the adult fowl when we started breeding them, therefore it should be at least possible for this to happen in the mod.
1. Same way as you do for the all the males that are usually killed. Also we are probably talking new chicks. Not muck there to survive is there.

2. What is the usual farm yard ration of males to females today?

3. Knife/teeth marks on bones, burnt bones for cooking, bones found in places with other food remains. Only or mostly adult male remains found. (btw 50% male/female remains would be evidence against cock fighting and for eating)

4.Or it means that only males reached adult hood in sufficient numbers to leave remains. Remember only a miniscule number of any type of remains survive to the modern era. The more recent they are the more likely.

5a. Who is forcing what?

5b. This arguement means that industralization should occur in the iron age because China and Rome had good minds and it is a very short step from their existing technology to factories. In fact it is the same short step that actually took place.

I came here to make a suggestion, but first I want to talk about this cock fight (get it? A fight/argument about chickens? I'll see myself out...). I understand some people are more concerned with historical accuracy than others, but I have always seen Civ and C2C as an alternate history game. To me, it's not about whether or not the historical progress in the game matches real history, but whether or not it's reasonable. Could we have developed writing before agriculture? No. Could we decide to eat chickens before or around the same time we decide to make them fight each other? Sure.

Anywho, I was thinking about myths. I've yet to get past the Ancient era, but I've started several games, and had some interaction with the myths. They all seem, well, the same. What if they had a unique effect? For example, myths specific to a subdued animal could provide new hunters with a promotion that provides + x% strength against that animal. More general myths (e.g "birds", as opposed to "eagles") could provide a bonus to certain animal resource bonuses (like parrots and/or poultry for the birds myth).

Also, this might just be me being anal, but could we change "sedentary lifestyle" to "sedentism"? The former refers to the modern lifestyle of being inactive, whereas the latter refers to what the tech is suppose to refer to (settling, as opposed to nomadism).

I have to admit RAXO you were absolutely right. It's a lot more fun playing on Noble than on Settler. The recommendation for what to build seem smarter. Although I wish there were way for me to put the buildings that I will never build somewhere where they would never be recommended. Tokugawa was kicking my rear end for a while and I do sort of miss being able to build almost all of the Wonders in Washington DC but it's pretty fun capturing a city that has lots of wonders too. I hope I have enough juice in my computer to get me all the way to the end where I have researched all the technologies and If I get bored I am going to play a space map, but I'm still waiting for the day that you have multimaps and I can colonize the moon and the galaxy. Hopefully by that time Sid Meier will pay the Caveman2Cosmos modders to create CIV 7 or CIV 8. Thanks so much for all of your hard work it has occupied quite a bit of my time this long Illinois Winter.

Attachments

• OskStephI August 1, AD-1813.CivBeyondSwordSave
    7.8 MB · Views: 135
but I'm still waiting for the day that you have multimaps and I can colonize the moon and the galaxy. Hopefully by that time Sid Meier will pay the Caveman2Cosmos modders to create CIV 7 or CIV 8. Thanks so much for all of your hard work it has occupied quite a bit of my time this long Illinois Winter.
Well you can play space map scenario after you finish current game (custom scenario -> select maps staring with "A Space Map", there are space maps on forums too), as multimaps may never happen too.

Also you are like several eras more advanced than AI :p

By the way you can add multiple buildings to queue by holding shift - you have TONS of unbuild cheap buildings.

Last edited:
Anywho, I was thinking about myths. I've yet to get past the Ancient era, but I've started several games, and had some interaction with the myths. They all seem, well, the same. What if they had a unique effect? For example, myths specific to a subdued animal could provide new hunters with a promotion that provides + x% strength against that animal. More general myths (e.g "birds", as opposed to "eagles") could provide a bonus to certain animal resource bonuses (like parrots and/or poultry for the birds myth).
In almost every case the point is that you have to choose between
  • the particular animal Myth
  • one or more animal group Myths
  • sometimes a mythical Myth
  • sometimes an elemental Myth -- we cover both the western Earth, Air, Fire and Water and the Chinese - Wood (oops we have missed this one), Fire, Earth, Metal and Water. To these we have added Sea (Babylonian) and Stone (which probably should have been Wood ;)). Note there are three Indian elements Fire, Water and Earth. There does not seem to be any similar ideas from Africa, Oceania or the Americas.
  • city buildings that provide the resource (or a new one)
  • city buildings that provide boosts to units
  • plot bonus
  • plot improvement
If you want all you need multiple subdued animals. Putting extra stuff on the particular animal Myth would make the others redundant and require fewer captures.

There are generalist Myths but most become available at Taxonomy. There is a myth "birds", also "flightless birds", "sea birds", "raptors", "ratites", "owls" and more. There do need to be more. For example at Scavenging there should be ones for "carnivours" and "herbivores". We probably have enough animals to add in "insectivores" also.

I have a question.

Is the damage from Features supposed to be independent from the "Terrain Damage" Bug option or not?

I have a question.

Is the damage from Features supposed to be independent from the "Terrain Damage" Bug option or not?
Yes. Its supposed to be on regardless of terrain dmg option. I myself dont tend to play with terrain dmg but the feature dmg is still welcome in the game... even feels necessary where applied.

Hey, just coming in with a couple of thoughts about myths and stories and their effect on gameplay. (Also, first post on the forum! My tenure of lurking finally comes to an end.) Here are some ideas that I thought up, forgive me if they've been said before or aren't feasible:
  • Certain animal myths/stories and buildings can enable or decrease the research requirement of certain techs; for instance, having the presence of myth: horse or at least one herd of horses can decrease the cost of equine domestication - this bonus might even increase depending on how many years the buildings have been present in your empire. Likewise, having stories: birds, stories: turtle, etc. could contribute to clockpunk (since da vinci drew so much of his inspiration from nature)
  • Drawing from the above, landscape/food related myths become available and have different effects depending on where you're located. Nearby barrens/deserts could give a myth that improves irrigation research speed, having enough myths about animals could enable "____ hunt" myths like "Big Game Hunt" from things like bison, horse, moose, etc. and the availability of a nearby source of wild grain could enable a "wild grasses" myth, etc.
  • This one seems like the biggest stretch to me but I'll throw it out there; The presence or lack of certain resources and buildings makes certain techs available earlier than they usually would be, as well as more dead-end techs, maybe with shorter-than-usual research times but they require you to have access to something, and may give some simple bonus or enable the earlier construction of a building or tile improvement.

Top Bottom