1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Sep 3, 2010.

1. irishhombre

irishhombre Prince

Would it not add pollution, I mean in the modern era you have those large garbage trucks coming in and out. Plus heavy equipment to move the trash to certain spots. Also would not the smell also be counted as air pollution?

Osk21 likes this.
  2. billw2015

billw2015 King

I think the rubbish itself is the cause of the pollution, and putting it in a landfill instead of on the street/in the river reduces the pollution.

Osk21 likes this.
  3. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

OFF Topic:
    dsma_bell question for ya since you live in Germany?? was wondering what is the real German translation of: what is going on or what is happening?? is it: Was ist los , or, Vas ist los ,, or,, Vos ist los??

Goggle has it one way and Bing has it another, thx. . .SO

Osk21 likes this.
  4. irishhombre

irishhombre Prince

I guess this one of those buildings that is subjective, I think it should pollution and you think it shouldn't. Agree to disagree?
    Forgot to mention, but you are thinking of an ideal world in my opinion. Ideally the garbage wouldn't pollute the area, but ineptitude and corruption often change things.

5. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

"Was ist los?"

strategyonly likes this.
  6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

For the building to make some sense:
    It could reduce water pollution slightly in all neighboring cities (not all cities) but have some increased pollution in the city that build the landfill, so the city with the landfill takes a water quality hit to improve the water quality of all other cities.

I believe it is possible to define property modifiers for cities within a radius already.

irishhombre likes this.
  7. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

It's obviously the first one because V is pronounced like F in German. It's not pronounced Fas or Fos. In fact I have never even seen those spellings being proposed before.

Machine translations aren't known for the accuracy and I generally recommend against them, though admittedly I use them once in a while anyway. If you know enough to get the sentence structure, do find yourself a dictionary and look up each word. It can save you from all the really stupid translations. The "best" I have encountered was one case where google decided a language wasn't "the language", but rather "the language the text is in". This means when it translated the text to English, instead of mentioning the native language, it wrote English. Another good one is "an earth-child was destroyed". After some digging and dictionary etc, I came up with the translation "a ground based radio transmitter suffered a breakdown".

Finding a free online dictionary helps you avoid those horrible translations, in some cases even without knowing the language in question.

MattCA and strategyonly like this.
  8. irishhombre

irishhombre Prince

I like this idea, it represents the trash situation in my area. We receive trash by boat from another state.

Osk21 likes this.
  9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Hydro made these buildings - I though this was basically a national wonder that yeah, mostly sucks, but enables other cities to build some garbage buildings that reduce all this stuff - it's part of his NIMBY design buildings. Perhaps he can be asked to comment on discord... don't know what happened to him here since I can't @ him for some reason.

Osk21 and MattCA like this.
  10. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

Speaking of Discord, has anyone else have trouble using Discord while in-game with fullscreen? I could only get C2C audio when tabbed in-game, only Discord when tabbed out.

Osk21 likes this.
  11. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

is that a new Herd of Horses btn?? nice. . .

KaTiON_PT and Osk21 like this.
  12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah, one of DrD_AVEL's.

Osk21 likes this.
  13. Osk21

Osk21 Barbarian Killer win Peace thru War!

Your animal herds are deadly on Prehistoric Warriors.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

You have to take that building and it's Civic into account. The Civic has most of the improvements to pollution and all of the relationships with your neighbours stuff on it.

Also I thought that building and the ones like it had another building (auto I thought) associated with it that cause problems locally but improved things in all other cities. Maybe I am rememberring something from the original design and the auto buildings were not implemented. It would have needed to be a pseudo or real national wonder to work that way.

irishhombre, MattCA and Osk21 like this.
  15. billw2015

billw2015 King

If that is the case then I like that, its an interesting variation in mechanics.

Osk21 likes this.
  16. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

Is the Barter Post required for any other building? Nothing shows up in its pedia entry, but it seems to open up new options to build. Might want to provide a hint saying that it's an important building if it's a prerequisite for a lot of buildings (or if just a few buildings, list them).

17. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Buildings, that are OR prereqs aren't listed as ones, that may be potentially required.
    So if X needs Y or Z, then Y or Z won't display, that they are needed to build X.

Osk21 likes this.
  18. billw2015

billw2015 King

This is a bug right? We should log it.

Osk21 likes this.
  19. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Yeah, similarly raw vicinity requiring buildings aren't listed on resource entries unlike normal vicinity requiring buildings.
    Also GOM requirement type of resource isn't listed on that resource page.

So for example unit requires ammunition defined by GOM tag, then ammunition resource page won't display, that this unit requires it.

Osk21 likes this.
  20. Osk21

Osk21 Barbarian Killer win Peace thru War!

This AWESOME Mod gets better with every SVN update!!!

irishhombre likes this.
  21. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

It turns out it was not implemented in the way I thought. All the Not In My BackYard (NIMBY) buildings are just normal (Civic) buildings. The problem is that there is no mechanism for a building to provide another building in only some cities. This means it could have been implemented as a National Wonder giving a free building with benefits in all other cities but not as a building that provides a free building in some other cities. However it was done just as normal buildings. I don't think I have ever had reason to build any of them. It is probably something that needs to be looked at again even if it is only to see if some need for them could be made.

billw2015 likes this.