Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Not much, launching the game may take 3-6 seconds less, but the game will not perform better once started afaik.
also just noticed from last SVN to new one that i lost around 10-20 seconds per turn, what really takes more time now is when a Great Person/well actually any time a pop-up appears, it takes around another 10 extra seconds for that besides the regular turn times. . . .

Got one game in Classical era now and EoT was 38 secs! Big improvement over what it was just a month ago or so. Shaved a whole minute off the EoT wait time. :goodjob::thumbsup::D:hatsoff:

me also, and yes i very much APPLAUD the coders now . . ., except for 1 game, i just cant get it to go under 2 minutes and its not that big of a game,,??

I haven't seen any changes that should effect EoT time in the last SVN.
I guess mod is self-aware and it likes playing tricks.... as if some civ in it researched all techs, and now is messing with other timelines and source code of its simulation.
:mischief::devil::jesus::badcomp::mwaha:

Where is spooky emoji :lmao:

me also, and yes i very much APPLAUD the coders now . . ., except for 1 game, i just cant get it to go under 2 minutes and its not that big of a game,,??
Upload save so we can check it out of curiosity.

Upload save so we can check it out of curiosity.
I am sending 2 games, 1 current, and 1 that takes loooong turn times, i'd loke to see the 1 with long turn times under 1 minute, and if someone can get StrategyOnly AD-1269.zip it to go under 30 seconds, i'll get them $50 BUT no changes to the buildings/units/great people etc, just the turn times. . .:smoke:

Attachments

• current.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 91
  • StrategyOnly AD-1269.zip
    3 MB · Views: 151
I haven't seen any changes that should effect EoT time in the last SVN.
My response about EoT was for a game started long before the last SVN.

Looks like this now (the slider isn't finished yet)

Would you be able to get the era icons back somehow? If it's that or the tech minimap, I think I like the era icons better. Not that I don't recognize the amazing skill it took to achieve the minimap look and that I don't see some benefits in it. But if we could work BOTH into the final design, that would be even better than either/or.

Would you be able to get the era icons back somehow? If it's that or the tech minimap, I think I like the era icons better. Not that I don't recognize the amazing skill it took to achieve the minimap look and that I don't see some benefits in it. But if we could work BOTH into the final design, that would be even better than either/or.
Yeah that is the intention, to have both, not sure how I'm going to integrate them yet though as I don't want to make the bottom panel too large. Might be they show up when you hover the panel or something.

Not sure what you mean the colors before someone presses? All states of the buttons have colors in the video, blue is current era+not researched, violet is after current era+not researched, brown is before current era+not researched. Green is current research, yellow is intermediate queued research and orange is research target.
However once the era icons are back in there will be zero confusion about what era you are looking at, it will say right there, no need to guess as to what some colors mean.
Further things I want to do:
- Add decoration to show current research and target (not just color but a marker of some kind)
- Add clearer queue position display (a circle that appears in the top left corner showing queue position)
- Era specific decorations for finished techs, DrD_AVEL is going to make some. Might be difficult to make these look good though, has to be subtle.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean the colors before someone presses? All states of the buttons have colors in the video, blue is current era+not researched, violet is after current era+not researched, brown is before current era+not researched. Green is current research, yellow is intermediate queued research and orange is research target.
However once the era icons are back in there will be zero confusion about what era you are looking at, it will say right there, no need to guess as to what some colors mean.
Further things I want to do:
- Add decoration to show current research and target (not just color but a marker of some kind)
- Add clearer queue position display (a circle that appears in the top left corner showing queue position)
- Era specific decorations for finished techs, DrD_AVEL is going to make some. Might be difficult to make these look good though, has to be subtle.
Some of this I'm understanding better with how you laid it forth here. Perhaps, rather than era specific decorations for the techs themselves, we could introduce era specific backgrounds (we have the planet background and starry sky now) similar to what you were proposing for the tech frames?

we could introduce era specific backgrounds
Yeah I would quite like it, need some nice art that also is non-intrusive enough to be a background for each era. Also I guess it would need to be tileable as eras are different sizes, and that cuts down options quite a lot. Really not sure what would work there.

Yeah I would quite like it, need some nice art that also is non-intrusive enough to be a background for each era. Also I guess it would need to be tileable as eras are different sizes, and that cuts down options quite a lot. Really not sure what would work there.
Rather than tileable, is it possible to swap out the background pic by what era has the majority of the screen on the scroll position? Or maybe we could just have each era background come up for specifically the era the player is in.

Rather than tileable, is it possible to swap out the background pic by what era has the majority of the screen on the scroll position? Or maybe we could just have each era background come up for specifically the era the player is in.
Yes very possible. The original was able to put a background that matched your nation.

One little side note... I seem to have a muscle memory of hitting escape to exit the tech tree, but that seems to not be functioning any more - or is my memory just wrong?

Edit: A little testing: The esc button does extract you from the tech screen, unless you've clicked on a tech, at which point it esc will no longer work. Clicking on the slider at the bottom or empty space without a tech will still allow esc to function.

Yeah that is a bug, esc and F6 should both work always to exit the tech tree.
Here is what the tech minimap looks like now with the era icons back:
upload_2019-10-31_13-50-49.png

I might need to add a bit of a background as its a bit dark at the moment, and make the slider more prominent.

Yeah that is a bug, esc and F6 should both work always to exit the tech tree.
Here is what the tech minimap looks like now with the era icons back:
View attachment 537851

I might need to add a bit of a background as its a bit dark at the moment, and make the slider more prominent.
I saw earlier this minimap, it looks better, than I expected :D

Top Bottom