Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Yes it is for the Prehistoric Era. Especially so before you research Tribalism, Warfare, and Barter Techs
By "normal" I do not mean "is it working properly ?", but "is it a good design?".
For instance, animal myths could be completely removed, or not give any +:science::culture:/turn, and/or give +:science::culture:%/turn, and/or give a one-time :science::culture: boost, same or bigger the normal in-city animal "sacrifice" (if same - then to parallel what happens when subduing vs killing animals for :food::hammers:).

Also are you using Tech Diffusion (On) and/or Win For Losing (On) Game Options? If you are try a game with Both turned Off.
Yes, but also "No Tech Handicaps for Humans" ON ! :p

Yes. Strength is multiplicative by ranks.
I mean that the descriptions for the three Ranks (Size, Group Volume, and Combat Quality) in the 'Pedia seem to suggest that these do NOT affect Strength - and that effect doesn't seem to be listed anywhere, not even in the merging/splitting promotions - did I miss it somewhere ?
(Then of course if you pay attention you see that the Strength went up/down when merging/splitting...)

I mean that the descriptions for the three Ranks (Size, Group Volume, and Combat Quality) in the 'Pedia seem to suggest that these do NOT affect Strength - and that effect doesn't seem to be listed anywhere, not even in the merging/splitting promotions - did I miss it somewhere ?
(Then of course if you pay attention you see that the Strength went up/down when merging/splitting...)
I break it down in full in the Size Matters player's guide. Each rank shift up multiplies the current strength by I think 1.5 and each shift down the opposite. So when you add +1 strength, you actually could be adding a lot more or less depending on if you are above or below average rank count (15 - though that's unit specific instead in Uncut.)

Tangentially related question; how does the rank work with respect to ranged attacks and bombardment? From my understanding it seems like you get more value from splitting your siege weapons and ranged assault units down to as many small units as possible, which seems an odd result, but I suspect I'm missing something

Tangentially related question; how does the rank work with respect to ranged attacks and bombardment? From my understanding it seems like you get more value from splitting your siege weapons and ranged assault units down to as many small units as possible, which seems an odd result, but I suspect I'm missing something
Ranged attacks are basically one round of combat so while it may give you more granular likelihoods of hitting and therefore be a little better as split units, the damage is highly reduced when striking. Bombard may still need a bit of work to reduce the bombard properly as it gets reduced.

By "normal" I do not mean "is it working properly ?", but "is it a good design?".
This an "eye of the beholder" statement. And the only beholder that is complaining and has complained is you. So.....you want the Team to change our design to fit your narrative? That is what you seem to be saying.

The amount of animals on the map can be controlled somewhat by game setup Options that relate directly to the animals. Map size has everything to do with having "too many animals" as well. As does Game speed used. Big maps with Long GS and you have more animals available for usage than faster GS and smaller maps. If you do Not use Peace among NPC Game Option then the NPC's will "war" amongst themselves reducing the amount of animals on any map or GS. But again the Big and slower the more there will be in any case or scenario.

Perhaps you should address your concerns to Dancing Hoskuld the Author of Subdued Animals and all the bldgs. associated with them. As for the rest of us the general consensus is they are WAD.

For instance, animal myths could be completely removed, or not give any +:science::culture:/turn, and/or give +:science::culture:%/turn, and/or give a one-time :science::culture: boost, same or bigger the normal in-city animal "sacrifice" (if same - then to parallel what happens when subduing vs killing animals for :food::hammers:).

Yes, but also "No Tech Handicaps for Humans" ON ! :p

If you are playing on a space map then animals don't work right. The Spawn file needs to be completely rewritten for each space map so that it correctly spawns the animals for that map.

The Myth buildings were designed to represent the "neolithic burst in knowledge" and should be almost the sole source of science at the time. They do need to be reviewed to better suit the recent changes.

Curious which changes you're pointing to?
Mostly to do with the changes to the tech tree and the addition of some buildings. I am thinking that the Story buildings, which was available with Writing should be moved to Sedentary Lifestyle and the Myths should move from :science: to :education: at that point.

True, that´s why we recommend to use Raxo's Lattitude/Longitude modmods with the space maps.
Which also breaks things because it removes all restrictions meaning that you get all the unique animals from all regions rather than the more normal one or two regions. Potentialy tripling your research.

That is the case when you use the "no Longitude and Lattitude Limits" modmod which currently is the only option for the small (duel) spacemaps.
For the larger (standard) spacemaps there is the "Rescaled Latitude Limits for Large Solar System map" modmod which adapts the restrictions and doesn´t remove them.

Mostly to do with the changes to the tech tree and the addition of some buildings. I am thinking that the Story buildings, which was available with Writing should be moved to Sedentary Lifestyle and the Myths should move from :science: to :education: at that point.
I'm not saying I disagree but I'm not quite sure why. We're supposed to see a massive reduction in research at writing rather than Sed Lif aren't we? Since there's a tradeoff in method of obtaining research at that stage anyhow.

is this an over look for the quarry not being able to build a salt mine here?? at least the saying of it is missing in the build area???

Attachments

• quatty.JPG
    quatty.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 123
  • quarry.JPG
    quarry.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 160
is this an over look for the quarry not being able to build a salt mine here?? at least the saying of it is missing in the build area???
Admittedly I'm not quite certain what you're trying to say, but there isn't a salt mine improvement in the game right now (there is a salt *gatherer*, but that's in the prehistoric era, which improves into a quarry with masonry).

We still have a problem with siege weapons going out by themselves and not protected, i never have to build them anymore just conquered them...
I'm going to look into this now (and hopefully learn the AI unit mission system better in the process), if you or anyone has example save file that is demonstrating the behaviour shown in those screenshots that would be very useful. I can try repro it via world editor changes, but it might be a confluence of various factors.

After going through the mod settings again, y'all may want to consider giving C2C "the Moog of all Civ mods" tag line.
It's a compliment btw. :)

I'm going to look into this now (and hopefully learn the AI unit mission system better in the process), if you or anyone has example save file that is demonstrating the behaviour shown in those screenshots that would be very useful. I can try repro it via world editor changes, but it might be a confluence of various factors.

This may help. Only 2 siege units but I have seen more on their own in a turn, previously.

Attachments

• Basil December 19, AD-0107siege.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.1 MB · Views: 161
Top Bottom