Caveman to Cosmos for Civ 4 > any hope of similar for Civ VI?

Larsenex

King
I know many here are purists and dislike the 'future techs' and units, but..I dearly loved Beyond the Sword and I left IV because I wanted a 64 bit game and love the tactical feature of 1 unit per tile.
With that said, is it even possible to mod the game to bring features similar to the mod listed for IV in the title?
How do you feel about such mod and why?

Personally I'd love to extend bit further into classical and again in future eras.

Larsenex

It's been quite some Time since I last looked in what all Caveman to Cosmos incompasses. Though, I do remember that it's a LOT.

But, to answer your Question:
- adding new Units, Resources, Infrastructure, Wonders...etc. is totally possible, as Mods already have proven. (Though keep in Mind that adding more Assets may trigger the Asset Limit Bug and cause the Game to crash - let's hope for the new Leader Pass to fix that Bug)
- adding new Governments, Policies, Pantheons, City-State Types, and the like is possible.
- adding new Eras,Techs/Civics, and changing the their Connections and Boost requirements is possible.
- tweaking or reworking existing Mechanics to fit the new Changes will depend on the Mechanics and how moddable they are.
- introducing new Mechanics might be possible or impossible. When possible, then it won't be an easy task (as the lack of many Mods that do that have proven), and would definitelly require lua coding (which, if not properly coded, most likely make the Mod Multiplayer incompatible).
- coding the AI to make use of the new Mechanics/Features isn't possible, as we don't have the DLL to make any significant changes to AI. But hardcoding some stuff for AI might be possible in some cases. But again, not an easy task.

So, all in all, it would be possible to make a CTC-like Mod, but it wouldn't be as good as the Civ IV Mod I think (eventhough I haven't played with it tbh and don't know what it all entails, so take that with a grain of Salt).

I remember watching a youtuber who rage-quit Caveman to Cosmos, because (iirc) there was some stupid wonder which had a chance of killing a great general if its city was captured, and his general was killed. I found it both funny and very sad.

I guess it's an interesting concept in theory, but something tells me that mods like that with everything just thrown into a blender aren't play-tested very well, and I doubt most people even bother to finish them. I mean how long is the standard Caveman to Cosmos game? Like ten THOUSAND turns?

I currently play Epic and wasnt looking for a mod which throws everything into a blender but to be honest more looked like Beyond the Sword. That was my favorite all time DLC for the CIv series and I only wish something like it would come to VI or even V.

Civ6 has a lot of really good mods that make the game a million percent better

It’s like Bethesda levels of rate of return on modding

Civ6 has a lot of really good mods that make the game a million percent better
I'm curious to know what you're experience is now with having a PC to use Mods (and Congrats for that btw!) compared to Console play. What are the Mods you find the most essential? Some QoL favorites? And what do you think is missing in Mods (something that isn't adressed by Mods)?

I'm curious to know what you're experience is now with having a PC to use Mods (and Congrats for that btw!) compared to Console play. What are the Mods you find the most essential? Some QoL favorites? And what do you think is missing in Mods (something that isn't adressed by Mods)?

My biggest issues with Civ 6 has been 1UPT, the awful AI, how broken most of the new modes are, too many balance issues to list, the often terrible UI, and districts

So here is my mod list with some commentary on what they are and what issues I feel they solve for me

ARS - Improved Movement v2.2.

Increases movement allowances and allows one unit per class per hex. So you can have one melee, one ranged and one cavalry unit per hex. Breaks up the “sliding tile puzzle” agony when moving units without turning the game into Stack O Doom. I replayed Civ4 recently, and that got tedious fast. Encourages combined arms tactics, as the best way to concentrate force is to have a mix of units

ARS - Improved Promotions v1.2

Makes the promotions more interesting and varied

Better Report Screen

Oh My God I can actually see what a policy card will do if I pick it. How is this not in the base game

Better Coastal Cities and Water Tiles

Gives a buff to Coast cities and water tiles

Customization VI

All the in depth tweaking options for just about every mechanic in the game. You can make things like Loyalty stronger, weaker or just GONE. Religion can become a passive spread mechanic. AND YOU CAN DELETE THE WORLD CONGRESS

Earlier Causis Bellis

Earlier Lumber Mills

Enhanced Mod Manager

Extended Policy Cards

Lyceum - Early Science Building

Basically a science producing Monument

No More Districts ++

Moves every district that does not depend on location to function (encampments, harbour, neighbourhoods) to the city centre. Ridiculously streamlines the game

p0kiel’s better encampment

Real Strategy

Major buff to the AI

Starting Scout

Enhanced Mod Manager

Gedemo Otto von Bismarck

JFD’s Frederick II

My biggest issues with Civ 6 has been 1UPT, the awful AI, how broken most of the new modes are, too many balance issues to list, the often terrible UI, and districts

So here is my mod list with some commentary on what they are and what issues I feel they solve for me

ARS - Improved Movement v2.2.

Increases movement allowances and allows one unit per class per hex. So you can have one melee, one ranged and one cavalry unit per hex. Breaks up the “sliding tile puzzle” agony when moving units without turning the game into Stack O Doom. I replayed Civ4 recently, and that got tedious fast. Encourages combined arms tactics, as the best way to concentrate force is to have a mix of units

ARS - Improved Promotions v1.2

Makes the promotions more interesting and varied

Better Report Screen

Oh My God I can actually see what a policy card will do if I pick it. How is this not in the base game

Better Coastal Cities and Water Tiles

Gives a buff to Coast cities and water tiles

Customization VI

All the in depth tweaking options for just about every mechanic in the game. You can make things like Loyalty stronger, weaker or just GONE. Religion can become a passive spread mechanic. AND YOU CAN DELETE THE WORLD CONGRESS

Earlier Causis Bellis

Earlier Lumber Mills

Enhanced Mod Manager

Extended Policy Cards

Lyceum - Early Science Building

Basically a science producing Monument

No More Districts ++

Moves every district that does not depend on location to function (encampments, harbour, neighbourhoods) to the city centre. Ridiculously streamlines the game

p0kiel’s better encampment

Real Strategy

Major buff to the AI

Starting Scout

Enhanced Mod Manager

Gedemo Otto von Bismarck

JFD’s Frederick II
Apart from Districts (which I like, although I do have some Issues with them), we have similar Issues with the Game, and I'm also subscribed to most of those Mods. It's also interesting that you're also subscribed to the Lyceum, it's one of the first Mods I subscribed to (of only a few, back then), simple yet very useful on higher Difficulties where AI gets too many free Bonuses.

And Yeah, ARS - Improved Movement v2.2 is the highlight of all those Mods for me, I hope Firaxis will use that System (buffling that the Framework for it is already there in Civ6, but never got utilised) in Civ7 instead of the usual 1UPT, and expand on it.

Apart from Districts (which I like, although I do have some Issues with them), we have similar Issues with the Game, and I'm also subscribed to most of those Mods. It's also interesting that you're also subscribed to the Lyceum, it's one of the first Mods I subscribed to (of only a few, back then), simple yet very useful on higher Difficulties where AI gets too many free Bonuses.

And Yeah, ARS - Improved Movement v2.2 is the highlight of all those Mods for me, I hope Firaxis will use that System (buffling that the Framework for it is already there in Civ6, but never got utilised) in Civ7 instead of the usual 1UPT, and expand on it.

Honestly I find district placement to be pretty tedious puzzle work, and it comes with hilarity like Adamantium Horses preventing you from putting down that mountain campus

One of the many tweaks I used customization VI for was to reduce the limit between city centres to two. Instead of placing a “campus district” in that mountain vale you put a city centre, and there is your “university town”

There is some sort of synergy in the mods I picked and the customization options that makes the AI quite formidable. It’s possible to lose on Prince, especially if you neglect religion (which is set to Passive Spread Only)

Top Bottom