Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

Glad I stumbled upon this. Just reading this guide makes me feel <3 for the modding team. I spent some time playing with Gazebo and crew's Vox Populi mod, an overhaul of Civ5, but I came back because nothing can compare to C2C.

Wish I could spend more time lurking but there's just so much. Anyway, I'll leave this question here because it could help improve this guide.

I was reading about routes in the Civilopedia, and noticed they have some new values. "Move", "Flat Move", and their roll-over info has another value. Any explanation, or at least a link, to what these mean?

Glad I stumbled upon this. Just reading this guide makes me feel <3 for the modding team. I spent some time playing with Gazebo and crew's Vox Populi mod, an overhaul of Civ5, but I came back because nothing can compare to C2C.

Wish I could spend more time lurking but there's just so much. Anyway, I'll leave this question here because it could help improve this guide.

I was reading about routes in the Civilopedia, and noticed they have some new values. "Move", "Flat Move", and their roll-over info has another value. Any explanation, or at least a link, to what these mean?
Thanks for the kind words! We do love the fans of this mod!

I'll have to research a little to answer the question properly though. If anyone knows more on this, they can jump in here.

The game will always default to setting up in the Ancient era unless you specify Prehistoric. You should ALWAYS do this as we have not attempted to debug some known issues with other era starts. Prehistoric is the start we have designed the game for. And it's not the default because we can't seem to find how to make it the default. Not all things are within the modder's reach apparently.
This actually happens only when you run mod for first time, after you pick for example Prehistoric era, this choice will be always remembered.
It never happened to me, that I had to switch back to Prehistoric.

Edit: Do we get bonuses from resources if we found city on it?
With later appearing resources this may happen easily.
Lets say Bauxite or Uranium is visible on map, as we reached modern era and researched needed techs.
And then you see, that your capital sits exatly on Uranium or Bauxite resource....

Last edited:
This actually happens only when you run mod for first time, after you pick for example Prehistoric era, this choice will be always remembered.
It never happened to me, that I had to switch back to Prehistoric.

This depends. I haven't actually figured it out yet, but I did noticed that after I played one game of RevDCM (a different mod), which does remember settings, when I came back to C2C it began remembering. I think it has something to do with BUG.

This depends. I haven't actually figured it out yet, but I did noticed that after I played one game of RevDCM (a different mod), which does remember settings, when I came back to C2C it began remembering. I think it has something to do with BUG.
Well you switched to other mod, that didn't had prehistoric era, as your map settings are remembered in vanilla civ4 config

Well you switched to other mod, that didn't had prehistoric era, as your map settings are remembered in vanilla civ4 config
I meant, none of the settings would be remembered after I first installed C2C (including all of the custom options, so I had to scroll through the entire list to configure each new game...). Then, I tried a different mod, and yes, the settings were carried over to all my other Civ games. Player name, map size, even the custom options shared by RevDCM and C2C. Then, after I changed the settings to suit my C2C game (PerfectWorld, Prehistoric era), all of my new C2C games remembered those settings. No clue why it works like that.

I meant, none of the settings would be remembered after I first installed C2C (including all of the custom options, so I had to scroll through the entire list to configure each new game...). Then, I tried a different mod, and yes, the settings were carried over to all my other Civ games. Player name, map size, even the custom options shared by RevDCM and C2C. Then, after I changed the settings to suit my C2C game (PerfectWorld, Prehistoric era), all of my new C2C games remembered those settings. No clue why it works like that.
weird then after I installed game I launched it, exited, then installed mod entered and my settings reseted only when I ran mod for first time.
Probably fault of windows - I have windows 7 64 bit.

Some of the setup options in your main post don't appear for me in the game. Any idea why that is?
You may not have the latest. I think there are still some old download spots still hovering around the web. I would actually advise getting the latest SVN version now to avoid a lot of problems we've corrected since v37 stock anyhow. Instructions available on the first post of the SVN discussion thread stickied in this forum.

Quick question: The guide mentions a hard cap on the number of trade routs you can have. Anyone know what this cap is?

How to steal cities from another civilization without war declaration?

How to steal cities from another civilization without war declaration?
  1. Conquer city with Hidden Nationality units (=> Barbarian city)
  2. Conquer city again with regular units (=> your city)
Only problem: You lose the original culture. If you want to expand to cultures of other continents, you need to conquer 1 city of such a civ with a regular unit (which means: during a war).

1. Conquer city with Hidden Nationality units (=> Barbarian city)
  2. Conquer city again with regular units (=> your city)
Only problem: You lose the original culture. If you want to expand to cultures of other continents, you need to conquer 1 city of such a civ with a regular unit (which means: during a war).
So if I never declared war, I would never get any continental culture?
I guess you could do shadow war and then declare war on them, when they have only one city left :p

Also there needs to be protection against shadow war. I guess civs should get paranoid and invest a lot in espionage to find out who makes cities rebel.
Or they could track of civs conquering their rebelled cities.
For example Russia shadow wars Ukraine.
They manage to separate Crimea from Ukraine, and then Russians absorb it.
Now Ukraine is pissed af at Russia.

Last edited:
So if I never declared war, I would never get any continental culture?
No... you start with one of your own at the beginning of the game based on the civ you picked.

I guess you could do shadow war and then declare war on them, when they have only one city left
Yes. This would work.

Also there needs to be protection against shadow war. I guess civs should get paranoid and invest a lot in espionage to find out who makes cities rebel.
The units you can bring to bear in a shadow war shouldn't be too hard to defeat by a strong regular army. Once we get the AI up to speed tactically anyhow.

Or they could track of civs conquering their rebelled cities.
For example Russia shadow wars Ukraine.
They manage to separate Crimea from Ukraine, and then Russians absorb it.
Now Ukraine is pissed af at Russia.
Perhaps there should be a 'now that you've captured what used to be mine before the barbarians took it, we demand you liberate the city back to our control, or suffer a severe diplomatic penalty' popup or something at that juncture. A bit of a project to implement but in the long run a good idea to do so.

No... you start with one of your own at the beginning of the game based on the civ you picked.

Yes. This would work.

The units you can bring to bear in a shadow war shouldn't be too hard to defeat by a strong regular army. Once we get the AI up to speed tactically anyhow.

Perhaps there should be a 'now that you've captured what used to be mine before the barbarians took it, we demand you liberate the city back to our control, or suffer a severe diplomatic penalty' popup or something at that juncture. A bit of a project to implement but in the long run a good idea to do so.
1. I know, just didn't mention it, that I meant other than mine starting unique culture.

4 That would be nice - even stealing even one city from much more civilization would mean automatic declaration of war, while doing that to tiny country would incur diplomatic penalties with everyone, depending on relations of tiny country with rest of the world.

In some mods you get the message at conquest with three options - destroy city, capture city and liberate city for the last nation owner. If you do the latter you get a huge boost to relations with that nation.

I don't think there should be a malus for the first city as they were not able to keep it out of the barbarian hands but if it keeps happening then yes. There should also be a spy style mission that uncovers such a tactic.

This would have meshed with some of the diplomatic missions I wanted to implement which included persuading real barbarian stacks and cities to attack someone for you.

In some mods you get the message at conquest with three options - destroy city, capture city and liberate city for the last nation owner. If you do the latter you get a huge boost to relations with that nation.
We have that here, I believe from Rev coding, if you don't play with 'no city flipping on conquest' I think. A little expansion on this popup engine could be all it would take. I'm not sure where it's programmed though.
I don't think there should be a malus for the first city as they were not able to keep it out of the barbarian hands but if it keeps happening then yes.
That sounds much more difficult to isolate than a simple condition check of who the last owner was and how recently it was owned by that owner (with a time frame where this effect wouldn't be in play any further.)

There should also be a spy style mission that uncovers such a tactic.
Interesting. Just discussing here, no plans really, but how would you think such a mission should work in play?

This would have meshed with some of the diplomatic missions I wanted to implement which included persuading real barbarian stacks and cities to attack someone for you.
I agree strongly. Would be a very nice mesh. I'd love to have seen a lot of your diplo stuff in action. I had some ideas I didn't realize were overlapping so much with yours on some of that but I think with some discussion those concepts could've just added to the plan's overall recipe for greatness and wouldn't have conflicted at all.

I've always felt that in most cases, where we could work together on things, we did amazing stuff.

Top Bottom