Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

I've tried out all of the C2C Combat Mods, and enjoyed all of them bar Size Matters. I kept the rest on, and turned off Size Matters, not thinking much about it. But now I realize this would obviously have an effect on difficulty and gameplay. Any idea of what, if any undesirable effects this could have?

I've tried out all of the C2C Combat Mods, and enjoyed all of them bar Size Matters. I kept the rest on, and turned off Size Matters, not thinking much about it. But now I realize this would obviously have an effect on difficulty and gameplay. Any idea of what, if any undesirable effects this could have?
There's probably some pros and cons either way to be honest.

The Combat Mods are designed to be a pick and choose affair mostly. The game should go well with them and without them. That said, I think I might have determined that the overtraining of Dogs issue MIGHT be a matter of how strong they are with SM off...

1. Yes, it can take a long time for the mod to begin loading once you've selected it to do so. On older systems it can really fake you out thinking that it might've crashed. Just wait for 2-20 minutes (depending on the speed of your system) for it to start loading and try to never start loading again once you've already started loading it because that can end up with 2 concurrently loaded Caveman2Cosmos programs which can easily overwhelm the ram on your system. That often then gets the program to autoset the graphics to low, which is a huge pain to then reverse. Be patient.
  2. Those playing with Windows 7 should be aware we sometimes have some rare crashes that are a result of Windows 7 itself. You can get through those by playing in windows compatibility mode with Win XP. Please try this before registering a bug report on a crash.

@Thunderbrd this needs update:
Wait time to load mod is 2 minutes max (loads faster in subsequent launches after you boot computer) - it loaded longer for you because you had unpacked art in mod folder.

Also Windows Vista SP2 is better compatibility mode than Windows XP for Windows 7 players.

Wait time to load mod is 2 minutes max (loads faster in subsequent launches after you boot computer) - it loaded longer for you because you had unpacked art in mod folder.
It still doesn't 'immediately' load like it does vanilla itself or most other mods. On slower computers it can take that 2 minutes and when we started playing AND way back when, we commonly tried loading multiple times because we didn't know if it was actually running or not. That can still happen if you aren't aware that it takes a moment before it gives you a loading screen.

It's not actually load time I'm really referring to but the blank time between choosing to load the mod and seeing the first loading screen.

I've edited those portions of the post anyhow. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Might be interesting to see why, but probably we just have more data than other mods by a long way. If the DLL get loaded early we can have our own splash screen though (could replace the CIV one if we wanted, it annoys me with its glitchy failing to render properly etc.)

It still doesn't 'immediately' load like it does vanilla itself or most other mods. On slower computers it can take that 2 minutes and when we started playing AND way back when, we commonly tried loading multiple times because we didn't know if it was actually running or not. That can still happen if you aren't aware that it takes a moment before it gives you a loading screen.

It's not actually load time I'm really referring to but the blank time between choosing to load the mod and seeing the first loading screen.

I've edited those portions of the post anyhow. Thanks for pointing that out.
My computer has very old HDD, and game loads within minute in subsequent loads, my ini file is set to load mod directly though, so no need to choose mod to load.

My computer has very old HDD, and game loads within minute in subsequent loads, my ini file is set to load mod directly though, so no need to choose mod to load.
Right but it still takes a few moments even for you to see the initial loading panel show up after you double click to invoke the exe. I admit, it's nothing like it used to be with a literal 10 min wait before you'd even see that, whether you clicked to load the mod or loaded it directly.

Right but it still takes a few moments even for you to see the initial loading panel show up after you double click to invoke the exe. I admit, it's nothing like it used to be with a literal 10 min wait before you'd even see that, whether you clicked to load the mod or loaded it directly.
No, its less minute from double clicking exe to fully loading mod.
Loading panel always shows up within 5 seconds for me.

Also you had loose art in mod - that's why you waited 10 minutes for panel to show up instead of 2 seconds.
Billw discovered that loose art anywhere in mod slows down loading it, when he was setting up github and stuff.

No, its less minute from double clicking exe to fully loading mod.
Loading panel always shows up within 5 seconds for me.

Also you had loose art in mod - that's why you waited 10 minutes for panel to show up instead of 2 seconds.
Billw discovered that loose art anywhere in mod slows down loading it, when he was setting up github and stuff.
This is an issue that goes so far back I don't even think I've noticed since it started not being a factor.

Just tested now and loading with the LaunchC2C.bat does bring it up almost immediately - in fact you wait longer for the pre-programs to run than for the load panel to come up. I don't know how long it would take for the mod to start loading from the method where you load CivIV first then 'load mod', but I imagine now it would be pretty quick.

The wording is improved at this point so that whether its fast now or not, if someone gets confused due to a super slow computer or something, they won't try loading twice. It's not giving an indication of any direct expectations at this point.

It really is amazing how fast it loads now. And mind you that this note was made long before loose art had anything to do with it. You could probably still see what I mean if you try loading AND.

@Thunderbrd this needs update:

Also Windows Vista SP2 is better compatibility mode than Windows XP for Windows 7 players.

I never thought about compatibility mode to speed things up. Should I use Vista SP2 for Windows 10?

I never thought about compatibility mode to speed things up. Should I use Vista SP2 for Windows 10?
No. Win 10 is the best so far as we've seen if I'm not mistaken.

I can't get the mod to actually load. After following the steps exactly 3 times, it just keeps getting me to the same place. I was last able to get v38.5 to work. Now v40 doesn't work at all. It isn't just that my old shortcut won't work to load the mod directly, the mod won't fully load no matter what! IT will save V40 in the top right corner, but when actually in the game it is still just BTS. Somewhere in the instructions is a step missing, the step is either between 0 and 1 or between 1 and 2. I think that it is in between 0 and 1.

When you really look at the instructions, there are at least 5 steps before you even get to step 1, regardless, after following step 1 it does say v40 in the top right corner, but the mod still isn't actually loaded. Can anyone help? I've been looking for help for 4 hours or so and can't find anything!

Here I copy the instructions so someone please tell me what is missing?

To install the mod, simply place the Caveman2Cosmos folder within the Mods folder for BtS. Your file path is likely similar to mine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos Then to run the mod, start Beyond the Sword (or Civ IV Complete or whatever) and select Advanced->Load a Mod and then select Caveman2Cosmos. And wait ;) Here's what you should know when you get started:

I think something is missing after this zero step, even though after doing step 1 it does say that v40 is loaded.
  1. You should go ahead and use Play Now to start but don't really play that game. Just let it load with all defaults, save that game, then exit.

After step 1 it says that v40 is loaded in top right screen but I've tried playing at this point and it isn't actually v40

2. Whenever you exit, it is wise to exit to desktop and restart the game entirely. You may be able to get away with going to main menu but there have been known bugs this can introduce. Regenerating a map is also not advised.

After following this step it will no longer say v40 in top right corner and it is just normal BTS again.

I haven't had this trouble at all with v38.5 or any of the 5 or 6 other previous versions that I have played, in fact I was able to make a desktop shortcut to load directly into C2C, but now I can't get into C2C even after loading the game several times, let alone using the shortcut.

Also it may help to know that I have two differen't BTS folders, one is in the main game folder and one is in my documents folder. Both folder have a mod folder. I've put C2Cv40 in both of those folder thinking that one of them should work, but still doesn't. Yet the mod shows in my mods in game, but loading does nothing but spend a little time to give me just normal BTS.

@Cyborgsgaming do you have steam version?
Then look there
More info is needed about your situation.

Is your Caveman2Cosmos folder is located correctly?
\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos​
What language option have you set BtS to be in?
Have you set steam to use the beta version of BtS? (this should be done)
Have you tried doing an "SVN clean up" action? (you have V40 so this step doesn't matter for you)
Have you tried "verify integrity of game files" in steam?
Have you tried reinstalling the base game from scratch?

Edit: Have you tried deleting your BtS ini file so the game makes a fresh one upon launching.
Backup the one you have in case it doesn't work.
Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini​

This is for SVN steam, but for GOG V40 it would look like that:
More info is needed about your situation.

Is your Caveman2Cosmos folder is located correctly?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos (game and mod can't be in my documents, and mod folder name must be exactly "Caveman2Cosmos")​
What language option have you set BtS to be in? (other language options may be broken)
Have you tried reinstalling the base game from scratch?

Edit: Have you tried deleting your BtS ini file so the game makes a fresh one upon launching.
Backup the one you have in case it doesn't work.
Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini​

IT will save V40 in the top right corner
after following step 1 it does say v40 in the top right corner, but the mod still isn't actually loaded.
After step 1 it says that v40 is loaded in top right screen but I've tried playing at this point and it isn't actually v40
After following this step it will no longer say v40 in top right corner and it is just normal BTS again.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here...
I've put C2Cv40 in both of those folder thinking that one of them should work, but still doesn't.
Remove it from your documents folder, that MODS folder should be empty or at least not contain C2C.
Make sure that the folder inside "\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\" Is named exactly "Caveman2Cosmos", and that inside it there's an "Assets" folder among other things.

Try running BtS as administrator, right click your Civ4BeyondSword.exe file and select properties to find the checkbox for that.

If it's only the main menu background that is wrong for you, then make sure you have selected the right one in graphic options; see attached screenshot.

Attachments

• 8800_20200202103803_1.jpg
    8800_20200202103803_1.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here...
Remove it from your documents folder, that MODS folder should be empty or at least not contain C2C.
Make sure that the folder inside "\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\" Is named exactly "Caveman2Cosmos", and that inside it there's an "Assets" folder among other things.

This was the problem. When unpacking it, v40 was added to the file name. I removed that and now it works fine again, with the shortcut, loading directly into the mod.

It isn't the steam version, but that doesn't matter now anyway. This is from an old CD that I used. I don't even have all of the original CD's. I copied the files directly over from my old PC. I've been playing Civ4 and the C2C mod for a very very long time. I played the predecessor Rise of Mankind too.

Thank you for the help. It is strange that it would say caveman to cosmos v40 in the top right corner but not actually have the mod loaded.

Now that I have it working, I have to say that I am really impressed. Even just two versions since the last time I played there is so much difference, so much improvement. Especially the city screen!

Last edited:
I just found recently found this mod. I was wondering about the best setups to make combat harder against the AI though. I've been playing different setups for awhile now the last week but by the time I get mid way thu Ancient I'm so far ahead in cities and they can spit out so many units each that I can steamroll everything and end up quitting even on Deity level. I've been playing on Smartmap with normal speed. I've seen some mention only playing Snail or longer for this mod. I don't know if this would fix the problem. I don't usually play with those speeds just to make 'everything' go slower instead of certain areas.

The AI will make only 2 or 3 cities by mid Ancient and I have 10 or more covering half the continent. This is such an awesome mod and so much content, I think I would really love but the AI doesn't seem 'willing'/able to produce the amount of units I can even when they have a crap ton more gold income. Even though I'm at +300 or more gold income daily by mid ancient with 10+ cities.

I've been thinking maybe Nightmare / No Barbs (so the ai can spread faster) / No Benefits from Tech Diffusion / WinforLose. I do play with Puretraits and no negative traits though with No positive traits starting and Developing Leaders. I always do Conquest / Domination with all others unchecked. I haven't played with Size matters but maybe that will make a difference.

One problem is that the AI's tend to get placed a bit far away from me and close to each other so I can block off huge sections of land with culture and take my time filling it all in with cities while the AI's are stuck with a relative small amount of land.

Are there other options somewhere else or have Aggressive / Ruthless AI's option been removed from this mod? They aren't included in my options for custom game.

Also I tried play with Fixed Borders and Minimum City borders but they don't seem to work like I thought they should by reading the description. I was conquering cities with me have a Fixed Border civic and the city was completely engulfed in the other civs culture for the entire time it was owned until I took out there capital. All my games with just Minimum City borders checked and I can still take over other civs squares next to city with my culture or if they plant a city next to my culture border they don't automatically take squares. When I claimed a tile with Fixed border civic on, it would claim the tile on the next turn but disappear on subsequent turns without ever touching that unit.

Really love the prehistoric start and hunters. The one time I got the Big Cats world wonder though made me think they were hugely overpowered. With so much stealth strikes ( I had +8 strikes and alot of Stealth attack combat% with just 4 to 6 promotions I think) and I think +5 invisibility to start they slaughtered everything except hunters and sometimes archers/throwers and were pretty cheap to produce. I could wipe out entire stacks of barbs with like 5 cats. and barb cities with 95%+ success rates and not lose any health sometimes.

Under BUG options General Tab, I have Inverse Shift on queuing checked but when I left click a building it will still replace whatever is in the first spot. It says it should place it at end of queue without pressing shift.

Last edited:
I just found recently found this mod. I was wondering about the best setups to make combat harder against the AI though. I've been playing different setups for awhile now the last week but by the time I get mid way thu Ancient I'm so far ahead in cities and they can spit out so many units each that I can steamroll everything and end up quitting even on Deity level. I've been playing on Smartmap with normal speed. I've seen some mention only playing Snail or longer for this mod. I don't know if this would fix the problem. I don't usually play with those speeds just to make 'everything' go slower instead of certain areas.

The AI will make only 2 or 3 cities by mid Ancient and I have 10 or more covering half the continent. This is such an awesome mod and so much content, I think I would really love but the AI doesn't seem 'willing'/able to produce the amount of units I can even when they have a crap ton more gold income. Even though I'm at +300 or more gold income daily by mid ancient with 10+ cities.

I've been thinking maybe Nightmare / No Barbs (so the ai can spread faster) / No Benefits from Tech Diffusion / WinforLose. I do play with Puretraits and no negative traits though with No positive traits starting and Developing Leaders. I always do Conquest / Domination with all others unchecked. I haven't played with Size matters but maybe that will make a difference.

One problem is that the AI's tend to get placed a bit far away from me and close to each other so I can block off huge sections of land with culture and take my time filling it all in with cities while the AI's are stuck with a relative small amount of land.

Are there other options somewhere else or have Aggressive / Ruthless AI's option been removed from this mod? They aren't included in my options for custom game.

Also I tried play with Fixed Borders and Minimum City borders but they don't seem to work like I thought they should by reading the description. I was conquering cities with me have a Fixed Border civic and the city was completely engulfed in the other civs culture for the entire time it was owned until I took out there capital. All my games with just Minimum City borders checked and I can still take over other civs squares next to city with my culture or if they plant a city next to my culture border they don't automatically take squares. When I claimed a tile with Fixed border civic on, it would claim the tile on the next turn but disappear on subsequent turns without ever touching that unit.

Really love the prehistoric start and hunters. The one time I got the Big Cats world wonder though made me think they were hugely overpowered. With so much stealth strikes ( I had +8 strikes and alot of Stealth attack combat% with just 4 to 6 promotions I think) and I think +5 invisibility to start they slaughtered everything except hunters and sometimes archers/throwers and were pretty cheap to produce. I could wipe out entire stacks of barbs with like 5 cats. and barb cities with 95%+ success rates and not lose any health sometimes.

Under BUG options General Tab, I have Inverse Shift on queuing checked but when I left click a building it will still replace whatever is in the first spot. It says it should place it at end of queue without pressing shift.
I'll admit that someone who has a lot of strategic skills and insights can probably make the game feel pretty easy no matter what right now. If you're laser focused on growth, nothing really holds you back. Perhaps make sure you are playing with the city limits option - that MIGHT curb your natural tendencies. No tech benefits for humans, Tech Diffusion and Win for Losing should help, but if you're a rapid conqueror and a fast expander, you might find it a little too giving. Try playing with negative traits because that may be one reason you're not checked by some of the powerful positives with a little powerful negative to go with it - which you may feel worse than your competitors because you have the foot on the gas the whole time whereas they are trying to be prepared for a wider set of concerns.

Yes, the cats are powerful, quite possibly too powerful, at least for now while the AI is so terrible at countermeasures. Field strategy is aweful at the moment for the AI and that won't change until a major overhaul and lots of work on that section, planned for after the major unit review taking place now. Very strong players will probably struggle to find a good challenge at all until then. However, I would certainly invite you to play SM and see if it makes much of a difference in this - some say the game is easier that way and others harder so I'm curious what you find.

Top Bottom