1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman2Cosmos v40 Player Guide

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Thunderbrd, Dec 20, 2016.

1. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

I've tried out all of the C2C Combat Mods, and enjoyed all of them bar Size Matters. I kept the rest on, and turned off Size Matters, not thinking much about it. But now I realize this would obviously have an effect on difficulty and gameplay. Any idea of what, if any undesirable effects this could have?

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

There's probably some pros and cons either way to be honest.

The Combat Mods are designed to be a pick and choose affair mostly. The game should go well with them and without them. That said, I think I might have determined that the overtraining of Dogs issue MIGHT be a matter of how strong they are with SM off...

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

@Thunderbrd this needs update:
    Wait time to load mod is 2 minutes max (loads faster in subsequent launches after you boot computer) - it loaded longer for you because you had unpacked art in mod folder.

Also Windows Vista SP2 is better compatibility mode than Windows XP for Windows 7 players.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It still doesn't 'immediately' load like it does vanilla itself or most other mods. On slower computers it can take that 2 minutes and when we started playing AND way back when, we commonly tried loading multiple times because we didn't know if it was actually running or not. That can still happen if you aren't aware that it takes a moment before it gives you a loading screen.

It's not actually load time I'm really referring to but the blank time between choosing to load the mod and seeing the first loading screen.

I've edited those portions of the post anyhow. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    raxo2222 and MattCA like this.
  5. billw2015

billw2015 King

Might be interesting to see why, but probably we just have more data than other mods by a long way. If the DLL get loaded early we can have our own splash screen though (could replace the CIV one if we wanted, it annoys me with its glitchy failing to render properly etc.)

JosEPh_II likes this.
  6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

My computer has very old HDD, and game loads within minute in subsequent loads, my ini file is set to load mod directly though, so no need to choose mod to load.

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Right but it still takes a few moments even for you to see the initial loading panel show up after you double click to invoke the exe. I admit, it's nothing like it used to be with a literal 10 min wait before you'd even see that, whether you clicked to load the mod or loaded it directly.

8. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

No, its less minute from double clicking exe to fully loading mod.
    Loading panel always shows up within 5 seconds for me.

Also you had loose art in mod - that's why you waited 10 minutes for panel to show up instead of 2 seconds.
    Billw discovered that loose art anywhere in mod slows down loading it, when he was setting up github and stuff.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

This is an issue that goes so far back I don't even think I've noticed since it started not being a factor.

Just tested now and loading with the LaunchC2C.bat does bring it up almost immediately - in fact you wait longer for the pre-programs to run than for the load panel to come up. I don't know how long it would take for the mod to start loading from the method where you load CivIV first then 'load mod', but I imagine now it would be pretty quick.

The wording is improved at this point so that whether its fast now or not, if someone gets confused due to a super slow computer or something, they won't try loading twice. It's not giving an indication of any direct expectations at this point.

It really is amazing how fast it loads now. And mind you that this note was made long before loose art had anything to do with it. You could probably still see what I mean if you try loading AND.

raxo2222 likes this.
  10. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

I never thought about compatibility mode to speed things up. Should I use Vista SP2 for Windows 10?

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

No. Win 10 is the best so far as we've seen if I'm not mistaken.

billw2015 likes this.
  12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

13. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog