Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

So, this seems to imply that there are significant gameplay changes, and when I tried to update from the SVN after downloading 41.2, I noticed significant changes to the way cities gather food. The OP might want to be upgraded to reflect this, just saying.
Good point - I had forgotten Toffer did some stuff with that.

@Toffer90 Can you give me a written summary of how that works exactly - and I also remember that there are a few other major things from you as well, like treasury upkeep and OH - I forgot about the % modifiers no longer applying to building sourced yield and commerce changes. I better explain that too.

Oh, also the forest cycle (which I do need to admit I agreed with someone on discord about that - it seems to be perhaps a bit too frequent, even if it IS set perhaps realistically. It does make it very hard to maintain your improvements without playing whack a mole with forest changes... maybe we can think of a way to create a system of auto improvement adaptations when it happens or something.)

@The team - any other big changes I'm overlooking here? It's been a long year.

Last edited:
There was general requirement, replacement rework too - that is regular buildings, ones not related to things like culture, religions or corporations, don't obsolete or obsolete and are replaced in such way, that city output doesn't degrade.
That is they are replaced, and replacements always are better than replaced buildings.
Other than that there were various replacement and requirement tweaks to lots of stuff.

Myths were replaced by Folklore - much less spammy feature.

By the way AI now correctly values buildings, this means I could move obsoletions much sooner - several columns ahead of its replacement.
This fail save feature - obsoletes to building - would be more likely to trigger, and you would automatically get best building.

There was general requirement, replacement rework too - that is regular buildings, ones not related to things like culture, religions or corporations, don't obsolete or obsolete and are replaced in such way, that city output doesn't degrade.
That is they are replaced, and replacements always are better than replaced buildings.
Other than that there were various replacement and requirement tweaks to lots of stuff.

Myths were replaced by Folklore - much less spammy feature.

By the way AI now correctly values buildings, this means I could move obsoletions much sooner - several columns ahead of its replacement.
Yeah I mentioned that stuff but not in as much detail so I'll put it more as you explained it here soon. Thanks!

Good point - I had forgotten Toffer did some stuff with that.

@Toffer90 Can you give me a written summary of how that works exactly
I think you're talking about the change where the amount of food consumed by population increment granularly between pop changes, so that food consumed by pop would very rarely increase (or decrease), by more than 1 at a time.

E.g. if each pop consume 4 food, then:
  • 1 pop + 0 % food stored means 4 food is consumed by pop
  • 1 pop + 25% food stored means 5 food is consumed by pop
  • 1 pop + 50% food stored means 6 food is consumed by pop
  • 1 pop + 75% food stored means 7 food is consumed by pop
  • 2 pop + 0 % food stored means 8 food is consumed by pop

I think you're talking about the change where the amount of food consumed by population increment granularly between pop changes, so that food consumed by pop would very rarely increase (or decrease), by more than 1 at a time.

E.g. if each pop consume 4 food, then:
  • 1 pop + 0 % food stored means 4 food is consumed by pop
  • 1 pop + 25% food stored means 5 food is consumed by pop
  • 1 pop + 50% food stored means 6 food is consumed by pop
  • 1 pop + 75% food stored means 7 food is consumed by pop
  • 2 pop + 0 % food stored means 8 food is consumed by pop
Yes and I noticed the effect leading up to pop 2 in my playthrough and loved how it really slowed things there.

Also I noticed something else about the play sequence in the early game that might be something we can improve on. I'll mention it in the ideas thread.

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to run this mod. Says I need a 3.19 patch but I am unable to find one that um.. works. Only one I can find that claims itself as up to date gets stuck installing. I'm using the steam version, but I've done the whole revert to official release thing. What patch have y'all been using?

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to run this mod. Says I need a 3.19 patch but I am unable to find one that um.. works. Only one I can find that claims itself as up to date gets stuck installing. I'm using the steam version, but I've done the whole revert to official release thing. What patch have y'all been using?
3.19, Steam version works.

Mod can't be in Documents\My Games, and must be named Caveman2Cosmos.
If game is on system drive (c: ), then you need to run it as admin.

Also ensure that mod isn't nested.

Besides what @raxo2222 said, it's always good to be max specific as to what your problem actually is.
Is the game not loading? Crashing? Giving specific errors? Etc?
The more info you give from the start, the easier is to fix it, since it's usually something blatant when actually pointed out.

I can't even get it to show up in the mods menu.
You failed to install it correctly.

Installation guide:
1. Never overwrite old version of mod with new one - always delete old version, as files are often moved, renamed or removed.

2. Mod must be named Caveman2Cosmos and won't work if placed in Documents/My Games folder.

So valid install paths will look like this:
For GoG this will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
For steam it will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
Assets folder would exist in Caveman2Cosmos folder - ensure it isn't nested!

3. If game is on system drive (c: ), then you need to run as admin.

v42 rereleased
4/30/2022

The upload on ModDB has been updated with a few cleanup steps that were missed previously. If you are playing an MP game with someone else and need to keep your version EXACTLY the same as theirs, you may need to re-upload if they are getting a clean v42 now. Otherwise, if you already have v42, this is not too critical to update yourself with.

How can I see the chances of capturing a slave?
It should be something you can see in the combat help hover when you consider making an attack, perhaps under an alternative hotkey page though it's also possible there isn't really anywhere that is currently setup to show this total and its something we need to work on at some point. There's also a separate set of 'chances' when we're talking about invading a city, that the population gets converted to a citizen slave or lost and I don't think that total is given at the moment anywhere. Units themselves on their hover information, not sure which hotkey page the information is under, if it's combat or another page, should show their personal base but that's probably not a grand total exactly since there are adjustments made on the receiving end of the attack too.

It should be something you can see in the combat help hover when you consider making an attack, perhaps under an alternative hotkey page though it's also possible there isn't really anywhere that is currently setup to show this total and its something we need to work on at some point. There's also a separate set of 'chances' when we're talking about invading a city, that the population gets converted to a citizen slave or lost and I don't think that total is given at the moment anywhere. Units themselves on their hover information, not sure which hotkey page the information is under, if it's combat or another page, should show their personal base but that's probably not a grand total exactly since there are adjustments made on the receiving end of the attack too.

I can see the subdue vs kill chances for example, but nothing about capture slave. I think in previous versions it was possible, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've been getting a CTD situation after 2600+ turns with basic v.42, so I got the latest version from the SVN (5/4), did a fresh install in the mod folder, and now I'm getting a GFC error related to the primary control theme.

I've been getting a CTD situation after 2600+ turns with basic v.42, so I got the latest version from the SVN (5/4), did a fresh install in the mod folder, and now I'm getting a GFC error related to the primary control theme.

This means you failed to follow install instructions - seems like you reinstalled it incorrectly.

Installation guide:
1. Never overwrite old version of mod with new one - always delete old version, as files are often moved, renamed or removed.

2. Mod must be named Caveman2Cosmos and won't work if placed in Documents/My Games folder (You MUST delete it from that place).

For GoG this will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
For steam it will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos

This means you failed to follow install instructions - seems like you reinstalled it incorrectly.

Installation guide:

2. Mod must be named Caveman2Cosmos and won't work if placed in Documents/My Games folder (You MUST delete it from that place).

MOTHERF--

Thank you for the prompt reply - I named the folder "Caveman_2_Cosmos" by mistake.

Is it at all advisable to turn on the C2C combat mechanics mid-game in worldbuilder? I originally had it off, but I'm coming to realise that the size matters option is really designed around it and larger armies will be too easy to defeat under the normal rules.

Top Bottom