Caveman2Cosmos Vs Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn ???

Better Civ4 Mod for you (please, explain WHY in the comments)

• Total voters

JBerto

Chieftain
Hi all!

I've played Civ 1 to 4 (without mods) some years ago... and now I would like to play again Civ4 but I would like to use one of that mods: C2C or RoM: A New Dawn... But after reading a lot about both, I don't know which one to choose.

Please, anyone who has played both could explain which one prefer and what are the main differences?

For example:
Which one is easier to play?
Which one has a "longer (=more options) Tech Tree"?
Which one adds more hours to play?

Thanks in advance!

Both are children of Rise of Mankind and for awhile they traveled together sharing code and stuff but eventually went their own ways. Both are still being worked on.

Caveman2Cosmos is an "add ever thing and then some" mod. Many parts of it are a work in progress but it plays well-ish. Some people have reported playing the same game for many months just so they can get into space.

Last edited:
I voted Other to nominate History Rewritten.

The two mods from the poll are very similar in my opinion, in that their main goal is to offer more content at all costs, and try to model and represent everything. Personally, I find this approach not as satisfying because it usually results in a bunch of separate mechanics and game elements, often implemented by different authors, that often do not go well together in that their place emphasis on different aspects of history that are often contradictory when placed next to each other, and that do not follow an overarching design goal.

History Rewritten is similar to these mods in that it is also a complete overhaul of the base game, but at the same time more conservative in that it tries to keep the scope and level of complexity of the base game. So you get an entirely new tech tree with new units, buildings, civics and the like, but the overall amount of stuff is still comparable to BtS. This is enhanced with a couple of new game mechanics that are unobtrusive and never interrupt or override what drives a BtS game. And, a great advantage is that everything comes from the same creator and is only released at a high level of polish. Besides maybe embryodead's work, it's the BtS mod that feels most like a feature complete and tested expansion pack to BtS even though it is still in development.

Of course all of this depends on what you want from a mod, and AND and C2C certainly have more content and game play, but if you just want something different from the base game that feels like an intentional whole, HR is better in my opinion.

Top Bottom