Cavs running off the screen?

berserks01

Obviously Very Confused
I'm in this game where I'm attacking Napoleon and it's down to his last 3 cities. I had a stack of cavs sitting 2 tiles away from one of his cities when I did a right click->select all. Then the Cavs suddenly started running down SW off the island, onto water, and finally off the screen. The circle that shows that they're active is still in it's place, but the tile is empty. I didn't get the cavs to appear again til next turn.

Weird. I wish I had thought to take a screenshot of it. It would've been a funny one.

I had a truly bizarre one show up last night. I'm playing my turn happy as a clam (which ought to cause both happieness due to pearls and healthy due to food diversity btw) and all of a sudden this worker from another civ runs all the way across the screen, right to left.

I wasn't quick enough to get a screenie but did manage to scroll along right to the worker's ultimate destination. The footprints showed in the snow (it was on the south ice pack) all the way across the entire map! :eek:

Were there any battles involved?

I saw a Warrior do the marathon last night, but I think he had been in a battle. Due to another bug I wasn't able to observe the battle - the game kept jumping to an open stretch of middle-of-nowhere whenever I was attacked.

This seems to happen when a unit travels a great distance and attacks all in one move and can happen (to me at least) whether by rail road or ship (something that can move a unit great distances in one turn.

When I "go to" and attack that invloves a long dstance movement and an attack all in one move this bug occurs. The defenders "engage" the attacker per usual. In this case instead of the attack taking place on the city space or the location that the movement terminates in it takes place on the point of origin.

You then see the defenders marching off to meet the attacker but since you are so far zoomed in for the battle animation you just see them wondering off the screen (to the point of the attacker origin). If the defenders are victorious the survivors reappear per usual. If the attackers are victorious then the defenders just never come back off the screen.

If you want to avoid this graphic glitch only have the unit "go to" the space right before the attack and then manually complete it yourself. I hope this helps.

I've posted this already in another thread ('Workers Walking on Water'),
but did not get any response. When having a group already formed,
right-click on the group, then left-click 'select all', the whole group
starts walking south-west, sometimes only one tile, sometimes till
the end of the map. I've posted a screenshot of it in that other thread.
When i left-click on that group again they immediately went back to the
original place where they belong.

See also the thread 'Large Stack Graphical Glitch'.

Asperge

Finite Monkey said:
This seems to happen when a unit travels a great distance and attacks all in one move(snip)
In my case, the warrior just moved one square before attacking me, but the game was overall in a weird state.

E.g. I had moved my initial settler one square off from where he started, but the game kept insisting on displaying the bar with the city name, production, etc under the original square.

I had penned in an enemy warrior I discovered on a small peninsula when I moved a unit onto the isthmus to checkout the area - four land tiles, one of which was a mountain, connected by one tile to the mainland. Between turns, the warrior just disappeared. Now, the AI could have disbanded him, but I'm not sure why...he was penned in by an unfortified scout on tundra! He should have attacked it!

This was early in the game, and the enemy, G. Washington, had only one city and few warriors. He could have used that warrior to defend his city, which was only a few tiles away. Oh well, my gain. Washington DC has become one of my best cities.

oldStatesman said:
I had penned in an enemy warrior I discovered on a small peninsula when I moved a unit onto the isthmus to checkout the area - four land tiles, one of which was a mountain, connected by one tile to the mainland. Between turns, the warrior just disappeared. Now, the AI could have disbanded him, but I'm not sure why...he was penned in by an unfortified scout on tundra! He should have attacked it!

This was early in the game, and the enemy, G. Washington, had only one city and few warriors. He could have used that warrior to defend his city, which was only a few tiles away. Oh well, my gain. Washington DC has become one of my best cities.

Ready for a surprise?

Units of different civs can cohabit the same plot, so it's a good bet that he's on the same plot as your scout. There is no "penning someone in with units" any more.

If you don't have open borders and your borders expand to cover a unit, the unit teleports to another plot outside your borders. This is the same behavior if you're inside someone's borders in Civ3 and they demand you leave.

DaveShack said:
Ready for a surprise?

Units of different civs can cohabit the same plot, so it's a good bet that he's on the same plot as your scout. There is no "penning someone in with units" any more.

If you don't have open borders and your borders expand to cover a unit, the unit teleports to another plot outside your borders. This is the same behavior if you're inside someone's borders in Civ3 and they demand you leave.
No, I realize that...he was not there. I moved my scout and nada. And this was in unclaimed territory. Either it has to do with the World "Seam" issue or the aI disbanded him.

oooooxxxxx
oooooxxxxx
oWxSxxxxx
oMxoooxxx
oooooooox

He was 'W", my scout was "S". M was a mountain. (X=land, o=water). He was one square away...and disappeared during the aI turn. My guess is the aI disbanded him...but I don't know why it would do that.

Sorry, your talk of "penning" made me think you didn't know that...

Sounds like its early game so unit costs shouldn't be cutting into GPT, so I agree disbanding sounds unlikely. That leads me to think it's a bug in go-to mode, or where the destination is across the world seam.

Top Bottom