1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CBP players, what do you think about Civ VI so far?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Degenx2, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Degenx2

Degenx2 Chieftain

I'm curious to know how you guys think it stacks up compared to both plain Civ V and to Civ V with the CBP? I'm not very far into my first game yet so I only have some initial thoughts, I'm sure I'll have more as I go along.

Here's what I've noticed so far:

+ City states relations are quite different and are far better than Civ V. Not sure if I like the CBP implementation or Civ VI implementation better yet, but either way I'm very happy with them

+ I really like the districts system and diplomacy, I'm interested to see how they go into late game.

- No notifications about population or border growth is a huge disappointment, this is one of my favourite features of CP/EUI (not sure which it actually is)

- The minimap is kind of hard to read

- Maybe I'm just an old fogey but there's nowhere near enough contrast between unexplored areas and areas in the fog of war. I'm really struggling to read the map. For all this fuss about the art direction going for "clarity" over "realism" it seems to me like it's the complete opposite. Everything is basically brown mush until I look closer. Hopefully after a few games I get used to it.

- The AI seems significantly worse than CP's AI. It seems around on par with Civ V. Hopefully they fix it up or it's easier to mod this time around.

2. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

I am really not enjoying it compared to CBP, but I assume that'll pass. I played a 6 way FFA today and just rushed to UUs and was way over powered.

Didn't even build or play the game really. Military is just so strong vs. defenses.

3. tompliss

tompliss Chieftain

notque => military units' strength seem to evolve much more slowly than in CBP, so old troops stay relevant. It has a cool side in that military civs don't fall too much behind when focusing on an era.

Personally, I find it lacking in information, and I don't quite like the interface, for now.

I like the slower pace I feel from civ6, and I also like the fact that you're not supposed to make many districts in every cities, so you specialize those.

I am divided about the new city-state alliance system : I love the suzerain mechanic, and the fact that they are really different from one another. But I don't like the envoy generation mechanic, because it feels REALLY passive.

4. Degenx2

Degenx2 Chieftain

One more thing I've noticed is that there doesn't appear to be any UI option to stop auto-cycling units like there was in Civ V. Pretty poor form to leave that out :/

5. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

The auto cycling you can turn off manually in the files. I shut mine off, it's great.

I got ai vs. ai matches working in civ 6 using the firetuner from civ 5. I'm a happy cat.

6. infidel88

infidel88 Chieftain

- terrible UI. which feels counterintuitive;
    - terrible color palette;
    - minimap is a nightmare;
    - AI is abysmal;

Comparing to VP it's not even close.

meRlinX_AT and cpm4001 like this.
  7. Groff

Groff Chieftain

Played some 30 turns last night. The difficulty to read the map, as everything (units/yields/resources) tends to blend in was killing me. Same goes for the new fog of war which I really didn't like. The UI seems like two steps back from V (miles away from VP and EUI). Can't say anything about AI, people on reddit seem to think that aggressive AI = smart AI. Overall I spent my last 10 turns last night thinking about how much I'd rather play VP. The mod has improved Civ V in so many ways I just wasn't able to get comfortable with the way VI works.

8. Valvts

Valvts A Plant

It seems to me a bit light on features. Gazebo will you play Civ6?

9. Degenx2

Degenx2 Chieftain

Yeah I've noticed that too. Most people are happy as long as the AIs are DoWing and actually taking cities. The main thing I'm looking for in AI though is that it doesn't make any really stupid mistakes. I've already seen a lot of stuff like barbarians just completely abandoning their camps and leaving them open for the taking, as well as some AI building nothing but ranged then just getting run over by a few horse units.

I was really hoping that Firaxis would take notice of VP/EUI and make sure the basic stuff like AI and UI was at parity with it, even if they didn't take any inspiration for game mechanics from it. So far it looks as though that's not the case.

10. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Civ6 will be great in 2 years.
    Don't you remember about civ5 when it was released? We could almost called it civ 0.5
    Then, patches came out and DLC and patches again, and DLC and finally patches
    And ultimetly Vox populi, Super power, Acken's, Hulfgar's, Anno domini and so on.
    A new beta truncated civ6 can't compete with a massively polished civ5. For now

11. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

The winged hussar in the intro made me impulse buy, and I was pretty indecisive before (every second day I was like "gotta buy it", yet every other one I was like "nah")

There's Potential. Lots of potential. It's fun, but THE UI. THE UI. T H E U I.

I wonder how much XP my unit has. OH WAIT, I can't check. I've searched everywhere. Why not at least make it like in Civ 5?

I wonder how much Faith or whatever I need for a Great Prophet. OH WAIT, I hover my button over Faith, it doesn't show me anything. Why is the game going backwards yet again?

I wonder anything, can I find any info?... OH WAIT, it's hidden in the depths of hell and to find anything out, you need 50 billion clicks. Even civilopedia does nothing. I look for info about how to get a Great Prophet (outside of Stonehenge), nope. It says "Swagman figure it out by throwing a crystal ball on gouged eye of a fish, become THE Prophet of this era"

But the worst part?

YOU CAN'T QUEUE PRODUCTION. This thing called Production? You can't queue it. You can't put the items you desire to produce into a queue. No queue for things you want to build. WHY in the world?

Civ 5 vanilla was the god of information and convenient UI compared to THAT. This is an abomination. Why is Autocracy filled with wonder bonuses, but the universal, well-balanced tree below it has military ones? Who thought that was a good idea? It's like if Gooseby suddenly said "whatever" and replaced Imperialism's opener + scaler with Tradition's "so they're more universal". It makes no sense.

Who thought the move system is good? The Civ 5 one was perfect, this one slows the game down too much. The AI seems to be having problems with it too, it can't traverse 3 hills in a row very well

Tech boosts is fun, but I tech through the tree too fast. It's 3k BC, and I have lots of techs. Sure, I'm playing on Chieftain to try it out, but still.

Civics are fun, but so far I think I prefer old sopols. It's just purple science now tbh.

The worst part is the game itself is fun. It's just frustrating to see the fun buried under THIS UI and THOSE DECISIONS.

meRlinX_AT, vyyt and Groff like this.
  12. zeta

zeta Mod Addict

From the looks of some reviews and gameplay videos, it seems like this is yet again one unfinished game by Firaxis and that's why I'm not buying it anytime soon. After a few years (when DLCs and other patches are out) I'll purchase it, sure, but not now, not for this ridiculous price. It's not worth it considering how poor the release was.

meRlinX_AT and Skidizzle like this.
  13. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Too early to pass judgment on most things, but here's my current list of nitpicks.

• Production is too slow, yet techs and civics are way too fast. I spend many turns just moving my scouts, hitting next turn, rinse-and-repeat.
    • AI diplomacy is flashy, but ultimately is Civ 5's same system all over again. I like that they have agendas, but...they don't really seem to affect what the different AI players do. Scythia, for example, likes people who have explored less than the map than her, yet she's doing a OCC with an inland city.
    • The tactical AI spends most of its time wandering. No, really - check the logs. Operations seem to get units around, and then the tactical AI seems to just forget about units in combat situations.
    • Barbs leave camps. Really.
    • The bonuses on Oligarchy and Autocracy seem flipped. Commentary?
    • The UI is laggy and uninformative when it comes to getting important details. Hovering over notifications is glitchy, units do weird stuff (I swear, if my archer moves instead of shooting one more time...)
    • The 'left-side' city details screen is a hot mess. So many columns and numbers.
    • Fog of war + unrevealed map = my addled brain cannot tell the difference. Should really grey out the FoW a bit more, or make the map less samey colors-wise.

meRlinX_AT, Zares, vyyt and 2 others like this.
  14. Zarrk

Zarrk Chieftain

Same impressions here, only played for 3 hours on King to get a feeling but it is safe to say:

- Inefficient UI lacking way too much information (and I'm one who prefer vanilla to EUI, so it tells a lot)

- Map and minimap readability are just painful, also how hard is it to implement a decent edge-scrolling in 2016 ?

- Pathetic Tactical AI, well nothing new here but be prepared to see a lot of people running in circle (pretty sure that the new movement cost management made it even worse)

- The one more time botched Diplomacy, everyone become hostile 10 turns after meeting them for 'unknow reasons'. Except Gandhi who I was the only able to make a deal with out a five civs until he declared war to me only 7 turns after our meeting and bringing another mysterious friend (seriously I have been at war with an unknown adversary for 6 turns before I decided to quit the game)

- This one is pure speculation but considering the complexity of the district system, and it's planing I can't see the AI doing a good job with territory exploitation either.

- I really dislike the art direction but it's subjective.

- One early access civ for pre-orders and one civ with 2 leaders, preparing players for the avalanche of DLCs

Despite all this there are more good ideas/features in this Civilization than in his direct predecessor. I just hope that with time (and not too much micro DLCs, please) he will evolve for the better instead of ending as a box of wasted potentials on the shelves like Beyond Earth.

Conclusion: An overpriced early access, giving which at least work without problem on my 3 years old laptop, will probably have some fun in 2 or 3 years with the GOTY edition

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Groff likes this.
  15. grmagne

grmagne Chieftain

Are Vox Populi and Civ 6 similar enough that the developers could just copy the VP AI into the new game with good results? It seems like the gameplay is similar enough that they'd have a solid starting point already.

16. zeta

zeta Mod Addict

I really hope that someone will step up and make an overhaul mod for Civ VI when it's complete feature-wise. Not saying it should be Gazebo, since I understand he has no intentions on doing any projects, but there's still many potential modders out there. At least now this looks like a mess to me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  17. rubixx

rubixx Chieftain

This is one of my gripes as well. It almost feels claustrophobic b/c you only have color vision on your own territory.

I think the explored FOW needs to be brightened up. If anything, make the resource icons stay colored b/c it is very difficult to plan a new city location when everything is brown.

18. Iamblichos

Iamblichos Chieftain

Sameness of color between revealed FoW and revealed is strange. Game camera angle feels relatively flat. Almost feels like a 2D game.

19. Erikose

Erikose Chieftain

Have to admit, was definitely wavering today about my "wait for the GOTY and mature modding" policy. All of your above feedback has firmed me up - and saved me some cash! UI issues, AI shortcomings, balance - all sound reminiscent of the Civ V release.

Thanks to Gazebo and friends, VP (along w an assortment of Whoward, JFD, Engineseer, and other assorted mods) is the game I always wanted to play, and resolves most of the problems detailed above and in other reviews! Especially the latest version. In a year, it should be a very different game, with many of these issues patched/DLC'd/modded out.

Why go backwards? Looking forward to 100s of more hours on VP for now.

- E

20. Tarzan737

Tarzan737 Chieftain

Civ6 feels very slow! make units and buildings take to much time while research seems to go fast!
    im not in modern era yet but im dissapointed about diplomacy!! i miss Civ4 diplo features!!