1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CBP(v55)/CP(v4) Release - 7/9

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Hey all,

New version incoming, codename: 'Lua Luau'. Lots of lua changes, additions, and fixes in the latest version!

Lua Changes:

• Modified happiness text for all pages for brevity and clarity.
    • Added full happiness tooltips to...
      -City View (hover over city name at top),
      -City List (hover over each city name),
      -Economic Overview (hover over each city name)
    • Added condensed tooltip to City Banner on map (hover over city name - includes total unhappiness, as well as general 'status' for the three yield-based unhappiness sources). If you are not experiencing unhappiness from Poverty, you'll see 'Prosperous' on the City Banner. 'Secure' will appear if not experiencing vulnerability problems, and 'Cultured' if not experiencing illiteracy problems.
    • If running a surplus of yield v. threshold (i.e. your yield is higher than your threshold), the tooltip now tells you by how much, so you can see how close (or far) you are from unhappiness for each yield-source of unhappiness.
      Note: lua in the LUA/Active folder designed to be used with CSD. If not using CSD, move the two lua files from the 'inactive' folder into the 'active' folder.

Happiness Changes:
    • Fixed errors and excessive unhappiness related to calculations for pillaged and famine tests.
    • Redesigned threshold/yield mechanics to express in decimal, to allow for more granular tooltips
    • Yields no longer divide by population, so scaling is less severe at high populations
    • Thresholds now scale by a fraction of population combined with a base amount, so that small cities produce unhappiness faster, whereas big cities do not.
    • Thresholds also include a % of yield in their calculations, to scale better in the late game
    • Values modified to reflect changes - values are fairly balanced, though some tweaks will still be needed.

Gameplay Changes:
    • Changes to Aurora and Desert pantheons return! Requires improved resource to gain faith from these tile types.
    • Barbarians now gain promotions based on where they spawn (most of the time).

I'll update the 'calculation explained' post tomorrow morning- sleep beckons to me tonight.

Have fun! The downloads are updated as of....now.

Cheers,
    G

2. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

I think we need to have a proper changelog post/thread and show actual versions on the "how to install" page itself. It's going to get very hard to track changes with all of these different threads and it's easy to miss one if you don't watch the forum closely.

This isn't a response to this particular release, just the release system in general.

3. Gazebo

Indeed- there have been a ton of changes. Anyone want to help me compile them all? :D
    G

4. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

Is the github updated to this version?

5. Gazebo

6. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

Ah - I was trying to play with the DLL and debug a weird crash but the DLL I compiled from GitHub didn't work with the current mod properly.

7. M@drox

M@drox Chieftain

Hello,

I just installed CP and CBP for the first time. Unfortunately, CBP seems to have a problem for me. As soon as I found the city at turn 0, I cannot see any units or building to produce in the build list. The labels for units and buildings appear in the bottom left but they are not drawn correctly. If I exit the city screen, the city firing (red target) icon appears on the city. If I disable the CBP mod, then everything works fine. I have no other mods active. Did I miss an install instruction?

8. Gazebo

Running EUI? CEP conflicts with EUI's cityview.lua file (for now).
    G

9. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

that's weird because the cityview.lua file is in the Inactive folder :confused:

10. Gazebo

There's two - one for CSD, one without CSD. The without-CSD one is in the inactive folder.

The 'How to Install' instructions outline the steps needed to make it all work.
    G

11. M@drox

M@drox Chieftain

I had moved EUI folder out of the DLC folder to the Assets folder above it. Apparently, it still gets enabled there. Thank you for the help. It works now.

12. Gazebo

13. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

Just a comment about not releasing the source for this version, it kinda stops anyone else debugging/working with it at all. It also stops that version being fixed or patched at all, as without version control that version is basically "lost" (as you said in other threads, you no longer have the code for this version?).

I really hope you can keep it updated more often in the future if possible.

14. Gazebo

The version on github was the version prior to this one. I didn't 'lose' anything, beyond the tiny (utterly broken) sample I tried with the tech % increase after posting the latest version. I don't post the dll unless I can verify it is crash-free (and it was not).

That said, I'm taking some time tonight to finish up a version to push out to you all. It'll have the new system, as well as a selection of new features and tweaks, one of which I'm happy about (it is very simple, but rewarding).
    G

15. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

Ah, did this current version not have any DLL changes?

Also, awesome. Hopefully I can get back to playing then, I reverted to 54 (with happiness disabled) for now because of the trade route thing.

16. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

[rant]

So after watching the progress from afar, I finally get home and fire up the browser to have a look at the GitHub repo. You can imagine my surprise at seeing next to nothing there.:eek:
    As far as I can see from the posts here in the forum there have been a few releases but none of them hosted on the repo.

Whoward looks like he and some other users managed to get some progress with the yields issue. I can see that those changes are probably made in his PNM repo first and then can be trickle fed into this one. I can't understand why the main DLL changes regarding happiness and other things aren't posted. Then there's the balance mod files. I'm sure I read at one stage the CEP files were moved in as placeholders and from there they could be 'ported' over to CBP, but now I can't even see those files.

To make this a "community" effort it would be a whole lot easier to contribute, without stepping on each others toes, if we work from the same source as found in GitHub.
    Now I have no idea as to what progress is made on the mod files or where I can jump in.
    It's not that hard to setup the repo and keep it updated. GitHub for Windows has made the whole 'commit' process a piece of cake now, no more arcane instructions on the commandline. And where are all the contributors? Come on guys I see only one other contributor on the GitHub repo. Maybe the naming of the repo is proving prophetic?!:D

I know this is sounding a bit harsh, after all a lot has been done by everyone with regards to testing and designing but really it does appear to be a little slipshod if I may be brutally honest. Is there some sort of commitment phobia happening? I'm sure everyone knows how to edit the xml/sql and possibly some others can do C++ and lua. Can we all just get onboard with the same repo and work? It is actually easier to edit code and update the repo than it is to zip it up and post it to DropBox. Add to that working with Git removes the hassle of merging changes from different sources.

[/rant]

17. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

Yeah, the state of the open-source side is a bit of a mess - we should sort that out. Doing everything in github with regular commits of unfinished code (and tags/branches for releases) is a lot better then whats currently being done! I think git-flow might be a nice git model to look into for this project. We also need a proper bug tracking system, because right now it's just a mess of a thread! We could use the Github one if we wanted, or figure out something else

Theres also no proper changelog, and the documentation is very lacking it comes to custom setups - I have no idea how to use CP without the CBP but still use CSD/etc. A wiki would help! I'd be happy to improve documentation if there was some baseline to start from.

I also thing a more realtime way to communicate would be very useful, like IRC. I can try and get us a channel set up if anyone is up for joining, I think it's a much better way to discuss things sometimes!

(as for my credentials: I am the lead developer of CloudBot - https://github.com/ClouDev/CloudBot/)

18. Gazebo

Woah, hey there. No offense, but please don't rant at me if you aren't going to use correct information. Whoward's hosting his own dll, and he didn't want to have to manage my work as well, so he issues pull requests to The Community Patch Github Repository (which I set up, and linked to, forever ago).

https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL

You'll see that the last time it was update as on 7/7, the very same day I pushed out the previous version. I've detailed every change I've made, AND I host all the modbuddy files so that people can compile their own version of the mod for testing.

The only changes not in the current CP github source are whoward's latest work (as he hasn't sent me a pull request in quite some time, and I can't control that) and what I'm literally working on right now. So seriously, everyone, cut me a little slack, eh?

If someone wants to work on making a wiki of compiled changes and updates, that'd be swell. As it stands now, I'm single-handedly managing the entire 'backend' of the CP/CBP, which I'm happy to do, but I need help managing this in other ways before the mod's changes overwhelm our ability to explain them.

G

19. Lukeroge

Lukeroge Warlord

Just make sure that whatever is in the public release gets on github when/before it gets to the users.

As for changelogs, I'm working on it! https://github.com/lukeroge/Community-Patch-DLL/wiki/Versions

20. Gazebo

I appreciate the help on the changelog information. For what it is worth, I've been diligent at updating everything thus far. I don't like being accused of being opaque when I'm doing my best to manage this task and be as transparent as possible, while also, ya know, having a life. :)
    G