CC1 SG: Emperor of the Ancient World

Carbon_Copy

Elemental
Hello and welcome. Now that the RBD crew has found their sea legs in Civ 3 over the course of RBD 1-4 (and the RBD player pool has grown considerably), the RBD games are turning towards self-restricted variants and themed games. Which is not a bad thing by any means, but I for one still enjoy just the plain straight-ahead civ without the variant kinks. So rather than place this game in the RBD franchise, I decided to start my own. Here's the lowdown on the ground rules:

Civ: Greece (since I've never played as Greece yet)
Map: Standard
Difficulty: Emperor
Landform: 60% water archipelago (my favorite landform...you never know how it's going to turn out)
Climate: Temperate and Dry

Opponents: The Mesopotamian and Classical civs: Egypt, Rome, Babylon, and Persia. Plus a random wildcard opponent.

Victory conditions: All except for Domination and Culture.

Roster/Turn order:

CC
Shadowlord
Hammurabi II
Axid
Schnarrd
???--willing to take one more before I consider this roster finalized

Rules:

-No worker automation or gotos that span player turns. Exception: Shift-P for pollution in the late game if we have a worker surplus.

-I start the map once I generate enough interest and play the first 30 turns. The first time through everyone else gets 20 turns, then everyone gets 10 turns every round after that. Fewer turns than the max can always be played.

-If you get yourself involved in something that you don't want to just dump into somebody's lap, then you have the latitude of an additional five turns (for a max of 15...doesn't apply during your round of 20!!). Standard Operating Procedure should be 10 turns or fewer, though.

-Acknowledge your turn within 24 hours, then 48 hours after that to play (up to a maximum of 72 hrs turnaround, optimal time would be between 24 and 48).

So, how does this strike you guys?

I'd like to join, looks fun.

A standard map builder game... could be interesting. You seem to have a fondness for green. :) I'm not surprised to see France absent from the opponents list. :lol:

Emperor games are now significantly tougher. Used to be that you could climb out of your hole by trading around at last civ prices, but now they want to rip you off, so that doesn't work any more. If this game fills up, I'll pass, but if you find yourself short of players drop a note where I'll find it. :)

Good luck, CC.

- Sirian

Welcome, shdwlord & Hammurabi II.

I'll probably generate the game soon and post our starting position. If nobody else joins, three (with possibly Sirian as #4) is sufficient, though I'd prefer five, with an upper bound of 6.

The thing I like about the 60% archipelago is that you can have such varied results from it. I've had anything from lots of small islands to pangeas that look like they were drawn by Salvador Dali. Hopefully there will be one or two seperate landmasses that would require at least Navigation to bridge, but whatever comes is okay with me.

I am aware of the gang job the AI does to you in new Emperor games. What I think we should do is beeline for Literature (Luckily, Commercial civs start with Alphabet), and use the Colossus as a placeholder and consolation prize if we miss out. While I felt that the GL was overrated in 1.16, it seems like the best (if not only) solution to the pirahna tank you swim in for Deity and Emperor.

And there's still room for France to weasel their baguette-munching derrieres into this game, via the wildcard mystery opponent. Hey, that's what happened in RBD4 (I specified India, Babylon, Azteca, Germany, and a wildcard...France was that wildcard).

What eats me about the new "aggressive" tech trading the AI does is that, even in 1.16, they never really gave much thought to the value of denying a tech to any civ except the player. For example in RBD4, Germany built the Pyramids. What would you bet that the reason they won that race was because France (an Industrious civ) sold them Masonry at first contact for something like Warrior Code or 40g?

Land looks good:goodjob: Bet we get iron somewhere in those hills!

I've played my turn already, but I'll refrain from posting it until we can get at least one more person. I just don't like formally kicking things off if the roster isn't full. We got a very fortunate land draw for an "arid" map, and yes, there had BETTER be some iron SOMEwhere in those hills or there is no justice in this world. Already from what I've seen of the shape of the land, this can be a very interesting scenario (and not necessarily in the bad sense).

And Sirian, if you are going to be playing, just to ease your mind I DID found Athens on the river. ;)

Hey Carbon_Copy, why don't you put this game on the succession game openings post at the top of the stories and tales forum.

Done. Now all we have to do is sit back and let the people flock to us ;) .

Maybe if I had named this one RBD14 (what I had originally planned to do until I noticed that this game was somewhat at odds with the direction that the RBD games are headed right now) we'd have a full roster. Or not.

Regardless, I'll post my opening turn tomorrow (or possibly sooner if I can get another nibble) and if we must we can play on a roster of 3.

i may not be very good yet but i'll play. i'll think of it as a learning experince if you'll have me. hope i can be of help

Since I've been replaced in the Roman game, I figure I've got room for one more SG. Also, I haven't played on emperor yet, and monarch is getting too easy (except where I'm playing a variant like the no-culture game :) ).

oh by the way i was on this level in civ 2 if that makes any difference:crazyeyes :D

Axid, Schnarrd, you two are in. If anyone minds that the play order is the same as the join order, speak up now, else it will be:

Carbon Copy
Shadowlord
Hammurabi II
Axid
Schnarrd

With Shadowlord at bat for the next turn and Hammurabi on deck.

Turn post forthcoming...

it's fine by me. if it get's to me tonight i'll have to do it tommorow. i'll have three to do tommorrow probably but i don't mind.

hope we have a good start.:crazyeyes :cool: :D

4000 BC-I move the settler to the other side of the river, to give more room for a coastal city. It also happens that I unlock a plains wheat to use by doing this, too :goodjob: .

3950 - Athens founded. I start by building a warrior. Our opening tech is writing, with the hope of eventually reaching Literature and getting the Great Library

3000 - Our wild card opponent is Germany, so says Lord McCauley.

2750 - Sparta founded on the coast on a hill, giving access to two flood plains and a lot of hills.

And the rest of the turns were exploration, tile improvement, and building warriors (which will soon be replaced by Hoplites once we get a few more cities in the works and barracks built).

I'll attach our map of the known world, we're in an equatorial portion of the world, mostly grasslands immediately around Athens, and there is a gigantic patch of mountains on our southeast coast, so there has GOT to be some sort of iron in there. We have also yet to discover another culture. And I hope that there are several civs out there who have yet to make contact with anyone else yet, also , or we're REALLY gonna need that Great Library. Barbarians were set to random and it's possible that we got Sedentary. As you can tell from the screenshot, we have a nice large portion of the world to grow into, so our first priority besides establishing contact will be to fill this land in before those sharks fill it for us.

things for the next ruler to do:

-Continue us on the research path for the Great Library
-Build More Cities! :hammer:
-Get this landmass explored, it's possible that we drew a pangea-like world map and there's someone at the other end of our peninsula.

1) 2550 Athens finishes worker, begins warrior.

2) 2510

3) 2470

4) 2430

5) 2390 Our warrior is attacked by a barbarian warrior.

6) 2350 Athens finishes warrior, begins hoplite. Sparta finishes worker, begins settler.

7) 2310 The Mycenian tribe has taught us pottery.

8) 2270

9) 2230

10) 2190

11) 2150 2 of our warriors are attacked by barbarian warriors, the one to the far west loses :(

12) 2110 Athens finishes hoplie, begins settler. Southeastern warrior fortifies to heal.

13) 2070 Writing learned, literature ordered.

14) 2030 Fortified warrior is healed, resumes exploration.

15) 1990

16) 1950

17) 1910 Hoplite exploring to the northwest defeats an attacking warrior and horseman.

18) 1870

19) 1830

20) 1790 Athens completes a settler, begins hoplite. Barbarian encampment dispatched.

Attachments

• cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 455
Still no contact, this is an awfully big island to have to ourselves. The settler in Athens hasn't moved yet, I wasn't sure which direction we want to expand first, and thought that since I wouldn't be settling the city, I would leave it up to the next leader to decide which way to arrive at the spot he chooses.

Top Bottom