CD/DVD emulation software has been detected.

boyamilucky

Chieftain
I can't get Civ 4 to start, and I must play this game !!!!!

A window pops up stating "CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re-start the game"

I have Nero 6 and Clone CD installed on my system. I had to disable "Hide CDR Media" on Clone CD to get "The Sims 2" to run (similar error message) but it does not work for Civilization IV.

Please Help!!

The CIV 4 tech support site has no help as of Oct 29 12:45 PM central time

While this is probably not the "fix" you want, you could try uninstalling one or both programs and seeing if Civ IV will run. Just a thought. It is really crappy that a game's copy-protection will block you from playing the game just because you have a program that could *potentially* be used to pirate it, despite the fact that the program has legitimate uses and is completely legal. This is exactly why I support the EFF and their efforts to protect our digital rights.

yeah got to love copy protection that forces people to remove perfectly legal software from their systems. :mad:

anyway, you can fix it by using, for example, safedisc4hider. this little helper program simply hides any cd/dvd emulation programs from safedisc, so you can play and keep your legal programs installed.

Or you can hack the game and put it on Kazaa because they decided to be jerks about it and treat you like a thief right off the bat.

Gargantutron said:
yeah got to love copy protection that forces people to remove perfectly legal software from their systems. :mad:

anyway, you can fix it by using, for example, safedisc4hider. this little helper program simply hides any cd/dvd emulation programs from safedisc, so you can play and keep your legal programs installed.

Thank you for the suggestion, but safedisc 4 hider didn't work. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

ferretloverdc said:
While this is probably not the "fix" you want, you could try uninstalling one or both programs and seeing if Civ IV will run. Just a thought. It is really crappy that a game's copy-protection will block you from playing the game just because you have a program that could *potentially* be used to pirate it, despite the fact that the program has legitimate uses and is completely legal. This is exactly why I support the EFF and their efforts to protect our digital rights.

I'll try removing CloneCD, even though I'd rather not.

Even if removed, CloneCD, Deamon Tools, and Alcohol often leave behind the .dll files that the copy protection objects to. You might be better of getting an illegal solution to your problem (a-la no cd crak).

That being said, I don't have any problems running the game while Deamon tools is running. I even have an image mounted (not of Civ 4, but some language software from my school)

WOOT EFF. did you know that color laser printers put an invisible tracking pattern into every color print they make? check it out: http://www.eff.org/Privacy/printers/docucolor/

I just posted this in another thread. Daemon Tools was one reason why Black and White 2 didn't work on 65% of computers. I have it enabled on mine and Civ4 works fine, but B&W2 doesnt. I disable all emulation options in Daemon Tools, and set drives to "disable" and B&W2 works fine. Test it for civ4. I would but I cant even force my computer to give me that error.

- GIDustin

Use Daemon Tools, it won't be detected ;)

There is a program called 'safedisc4 hide' it let's you use your deamon tools :)

Top Bottom