Celtic Noble Spearman

Aranor

Emperor

Wow its amazing how quickly these things can come together!:eek::mischief: Say Hello to the Arjos. A Celtic Noble Merchant Spearman. These warriors trained in the Greek style of fighting using a phalanx formation, they were not as proficient with this tactic as the Greeks, but still they were a powerful force on any battlefield. Due to their vast wealth these men could afford to purchase extremely fine Celtic Chainmail armor and the finest weapons made in Arverni lands.

Download

Oh, I already downloaded it yesterday. Forgot to comment because I wanted to wiki Celtic chainmail. :goodjob:

I can't believe nobody commented this masterpiece yet!

So was I, I'm surprised that it took nearly 100 views before someone decided to comment. Speaking there of I hope someone has commented on Zever's Modern British Units! They were posted a couple of hours before mine and had 100 views by the time I posted this guy. And no comments :( Slow day for Infantry it seems.

Thanks, Aranor, I'm using it as a Celtic upgrade to spearman (i.e. Pikeman class)
Looks fabulous ingame:goodjob:

For V.D? :confused:

GeoModder said:
Oh, I already downloaded it yesterday. Forgot to comment because I wanted to wiki Celtic chainmail. :goodjob:

Thats cool. If you wanted to know about celtic chainmail your could have asked!:lol: The Celts were known to have produced some of the finest Chainmail in the world. In fact it was so good that the Romans copied it to use in their early ( most probably Polybian) armies. A heavy suit of Celtic chain involved placing an extra layer of rings over the vital organs in front and back; this extra protection could more effectively defend one's most vulnerable regions from blows that would surely cripple or kill the wearer. Much chain also involved pauldrons of chain or padding to provide additional defense to the shoulders, which could be the main targets for slashing weapons.

again a great unit :)

and it seems to be a bad the for the unit makers, a lot of views and no comments, the only payment ... ;).

again a great unit :)

and it seems to be a bad the for the unit makers, a lot of views and no comments, the only payment ... ;).
I know what you mean (hehe)... and yes, this is a very well-done unit.

Thanks guys!:goodjob:

True, but it seems more modern units get more attention from people, specifically WW2 units (not complaining mind you all the modern unit makers to a fantastic job!) than the ancient units (unless they are Roman) get looked over or forgotten completely. I have never been able to understand why. The skills required to create amazing riflemen are the same as those required to make an amazing spearman (I'm not going to touch armored units and ships, they requires a special skill set of their own, that I remain in awe of:goodjob:). Maybe I'm wrong and its just the wrong time for ancient units, perhaps I should wait another 6 months then Bump all these threads to the top of the forums:lol:

Anyway thats enough from me. Better get back to work on the next civ! Bet you cant guess who! ;):p

To be honest Aranor, I love your units... the vast majority of them are simply gorgeous... my personal problem (and perhaps some other folks too), is that we have (for the most part) limited nations and limited slots for custom/flavor units.

For instance, I have one Greek Civ and one Roman Civ, each with one archer, one swordsman, one spearman... etc, etc, etc. Most of the units you make are for "oddball" civs that would require a special mod for multiple Aegean civs... I don't have seperate requirements for Macedonians, Spartans, Athenians, Ionians, etc, etc. I am already happy with the one archer, one spearman, one swordsman, etc, etc, that I already have for most of my civs... and to be honest... Ancient civ units have been the first and most overdone of all custom units... I probably have well over a dozen differant custom "Greek Swordsman" to choose from if I so wanted... but I don't have a single custom "Greek Infantryman" to choose from (believe it or not).

While your units are indeed beautiful... it's overkill on a subject and age that has been over-addressed by the mod community... which may be why you don't get as much feedback as you'd think you'd get.

This is not a personal insult in any way shape or form (and I'm certainly not trying to discourage your work)... it's just my opinion on the state of custom units... we have tons of ancient units already, and have had them for some time... but there's still gaps (believe it or not) on WWII units from infantry to tanks, planes and ships that still have not been satisfactorily covered with even a single unit.

You've probably made the 20th Ancient European Spearman (if that low a number), while I'm pretty sure I made the first Persian WWII tank this week (and even then, I didn't really get any feedback).

Your units are GREAT Aranor... I love the quality... but (at least in my case) it's a bit of overkill, that I have no place to fit most of them. That's my opinion... and I only voiced it because you seem confused why there isn't more feedback... that's my take on it... and I could be wrong, but it at least applies to me.

Thanks for that Wolfshanze. I'm not confused as to why these units are not getting more feedback. I have been on these forums since CivIV was released, I have seen every unit created AS they were created. I am well aware that ancient units have been done to death, specifically Hellenic units. I don't use the term Greek as I feel the two are completely different. I agree that there are HUGE gaps in the modern units selection for people , but there are HUGE gaps in the ancient units too. I an great example would be the Persians (since you bought up the Persian tank!:lol:) I cannot remember any Persian cavalry being created in fact I'm the only one to have ever created Cataphracts (the Persians had some of the greatest Cataphracts in the Ancient world) for the Persians, that being the only heavy cavalry created for perhaps one of the greatest eastern empires in antiquity.

Personally I resent the term "oddball" I realize you meant no offense by the term. But those "oddball" (as you call them) civs ( aside from 1 or 2) have been created by me and are available to download and use, so every unit I have created has a use and are used. All of these factions deserve recognition and really should not be lumped into general classifications of Civilizations ( I realize that Fraxis has only so much time to create a game, and do not have the financial power to spend 20 years working on a game, and if they were to include EVERY civ that has been created here it would take that long! Thats what modders are for!:lol:).

Anyway back to the topic at hand. No I'm not confused as to why these units are seeing so little in the way of commments, I understand this, I embrace this, it is the nature of the forums, if these units had come along 2 years ago there would be threads 5 pages long (well perhaps not really:lol:). If I could make modern units I would. But I find them boring to model and texture, modern camouflage is so boring:p but ancient armor, creating a spear, sword and shield is so rewarding in the time it takes to do. I'm sure you agree (infact I know you do as you said so:p), that these ancient units are beautiful, but more importantly that are accurate for their time period, something that really has not been done yet in all the years of ancient unit creation in CivIV modding.

I also realize since the last frontpage update my sig had nearly doubled in size ( come on don't tell me no one has noticed!:lol::p) So far I count about 11 units, 2 civs ( the 3rd is on its way) and 1 Leaderhead ( if the next one is any good that will be 2 :lol:) created in alittle under 1 month. If all of these were to stay at the top of the boards then no one else would get ANY recognition for their hard work ( that includes you and your new found skinning talents Wolf), and that just isn't fair for anyone. Speaking of your skinning I do like your Persian tank, it really looks like it belongs rolling over the desert sands, and your German GG look superb!:goodjob:

BTW: all these units have a much larger home and will be seen on a much larger scale in EBCIV. I only release them so others might enjoy the work and use them for themselves.

Hey, I didn't mean "oddball" to be offensive... perhaps I should have searched longer for a better word.

If only 30% of Civ4 users on this board actually use mods, then probably only 5% of that 30% ever use more then the "default" 34 Civs. Perhaps what I should have said was "non-default civs", instead of "oddball". Certainly Poland and Austria aren't "oddball" (and I plan on adding both), but even amongst the community that mods, I would suspect only a small percentage actually add new civs. Once again, I have no stats to back that up, it's just my personal opinion, and I could be totally wrong... but I feel that ties-in with my original point, and if you're making units for "non-default civs", then that contributes to the lack of feedback... and YES... if you had come out with these units two years ago, all of your units would probably serve as the "default" flavor units used for civs instead of some of the other modders who may have released sets out earlier in the mod community history.

Timing is everything...

The generic team-color European Musketman probably would have been a HUGE hit two years ago... but since almost every civ now has a custom musketman... it's not really needed.

I try and focus on new things that haven't been done for the default civs... and I know you are focusing on completing your own project that includes custom civs... but realize that units for custom civs tend to be a little less popular then unique units for the default civs (even if they are as beautiful as many of yours are).

Eh... of course you know this already... I'm just chatting for no reason now!

Anyways... good unit... keep up the good work! I might sneak this one into the Celtic Pikeman group... I've been too lazy to break-off the Celts from my generic "European" group... must get around to that someday!

The unit looks very good Aranor! :goodjob: Also I agree with and endorse the above post. :yup:

I for one, enjoy your units for the "oddball" civs and find them very useful and would be sad if you stopped posting them. I too prefer ancient and more middle age units as opposed to modern units. Personally, it seems that with civ I could find better modern combat tactical simulations with other games. Wars such as Vietnam or the Iraqi war in my eyes usually do not translate into civ that well, of course that is my ignorant opinion on the matter.

Yep, for the next update of VD ;)

Keep making these great ancient units! :goodjob:

Thanks, Rest assured that I will continue with these "oddball" units:lol:

Bakuel said:
I for one, enjoy your units for the "oddball" civs and find them very useful and would be sad if you stopped posting them. I too prefer ancient and more middle age units as opposed to modern units. Personally, it seems that with civ I could find better modern combat tactical simulations with other games. Wars such as Vietnam or the Iraqi war in my eyes usually do not translate into civ that well, of course that is my ignorant opinion on the matter.

I would agree with that 100% I generally don't play my games much after the advent of gunpowder. Although ironically in the games I do play into the modern era I tend to conquer more civs in that late game than in the early periods. Go figure:confused::lol:

Ancient civs have been done to death; but if you can make units that look this good and realistic, i wouldnt complain if the whole catalogue of ancient units were re-done by yourself :)
Not to mention there are some kinda dodgy units out there that are still being used cos noone's made a better/more realistic version. Some of the 'what-if' units make me cringe, specially if they're ony 'what-if' because they've used an old model with different weapons... *hint hint*
Anyway what i'm saying is even if ancient units have been done to death, they havent been done to perfection yet :)

Ancient civs have been done to death; but if you can make units that look this good and realistic, i wouldnt complain if the whole catalogue of ancient units were re-done by yourself :)
Not to mention there are some kinda dodgy units out there that are still being used cos noone's made a better/more realistic version. Some of the 'what-if' units make me cringe, specially if they're ony 'what-if' because they've used an old model with different weapons... *hint hint*
Anyway what i'm saying is even if ancient units have been done to death, they havent been done to perfection yet :)

Thanks!.... errr what what if units are you talking about?

I was looking through your units and came across this particular dabate and I personally think your units are fantastic not only to look at but also in game. What i think is more important is that you are representing civilizations whose place in european history is soemtimes forgotten and i think you are actually not only improving the game play of civ but also fulfilling an educating role.

I know this sounds sycophantic so i apologise for that!

But all i can say is i hope you continue to produce ancient units.

I was looking through your units and came across this particular dabate and I personally think your units are fantastic not only to look at but also in game. What i think is more important is that you are representing civilizations whose place in european history is soemtimes forgotten and i think you are actually not only improving the game play of civ but also fulfilling an educating role.

I know this sounds sycophantic so i apologise for that!

But all i can say is i hope you continue to produce ancient units.

Thanks!:goodjob: I am currently between computers so I haven't been modding of late. And at this stage I do not know when I will be getting a new one just yet (taking a trip to Romania first!:D). But rest assured I will be continuing with my modding when I do.

FYI: for anyone who either didn't know, or doesn't recognize the style they will be for the EBCIV mod (a port of the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome Total War) that will be coming at some stage in the future.

I have been attempting to do some xml modding of my own and have (for my personal use) created a number of new civs including Prydain, Gaelic, Anglo Saxon and Guanches. These civs use some of your graphics so basically i am asking your permission to put these on the website.

If that is not possible obviously thats fine. I have been using them for my own games for some time anyhow and have derived loads of enjoyment from them. So thanks.:D

This unit looks alot like the Gallic Spear Axilia from the Rome Total Realism mod for RTW. I think in game, he'd probably look alot more at home in the Roman ethnic unit set, then gallic.

Top Bottom