Centering the map?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by XxtraLarGe, Jun 6, 2006.

1. XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe Warlord

When you build Stonehenge, the game says it "Centers the map." What exactly does that mean, and what is the value of it? I wasn't able to find anything out about that in the manual.

2. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

Centering the map shows your relative location on the globe and places your view from your choosen location as the center. Personally, I think it has little value since there are other clues that give it away.

3. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I might be stupid, but I still don't understand.

4. Desert-Fox

Desert-Fox King

Me too... that doesn't give anything for gameplay... just a small feature... sometimes it is annoying... because it zooms so much out.

5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

It would zoom out anyway, if you discover the whole world...

6. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

The centering of them map may be aesthetic and useless, but the 8 culture per turn is nice (and yes, I do play at a level that allows me to build it before the AI does)

7. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

I like Stonehenge. For the culture and the early GP Prophet.

8. picardathon

picardathon Noobzor

Calendar ends up centering the map early on for you anyway, so the aforementioned great prophet and the ability to gain culture early on without a religion is the main benefit.

9. Zanmato

Zanmato King

You can usually tell whereabouts you are on the globe by the number of tundra and ice tiles you discover, copper and iron seem to appear more in these places too. More desert means you're near the centre rows. Stonehedge is great though, centre map is just a very minor bonus as it doesn't really affect any strategies.

10. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I wish there was a way to zoom in the minimap a small amount. :p I hate when I have 2-3 cities and the map zooms waaay out to make them 2-3 specs and the amount I have explored is so little that my minimap becomes a tiny blob of barely recognizable culture on a black box.

11. XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe Warlord

This brings up another question. Do you lose the benefits of Stonehenge after you discover Calendar, or after anybody discovers Calendar. In other words, do you lose the benefits of a wonder only after you discover the technology that obsoletes the wonder, or after anybody does? I know you would lose it after anybody discovered it in Civ 2.

12. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

As far as I can tell it's when you discover the advance, nobody else.

13. picardathon

picardathon Noobzor

Yeah, whats said above applies to all wonders which go obsolete.

14. Monado

Monado King

While centering the map early from building Stonehenge only helps to figure out your position in some games, I am still happy it is included in the game. Stonehenge was astronomically aligned when it was built. On the longest day of each year, the summer solstace, the sun rises directly in the front of what would be the main archway of Stonehenge. This allowed the builders of Stonehenge to know when the summer solstace occured. I feel like centering the map helps to reflect this.

15. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

This is what it does very simply:-

Before Stonehenge or Calender look at your mini map in the bottom right hand corner...if you've explored quite extensively, the land you know might almost fill this "mini-map screen"..then when you get Stonehenge or Calender, this area shrinks, and you can see your relative latitude and longditude in relation to the rest of the world...

Thats all it does...it only really useful on huge maps.

The term "centers the map" is misleading, as before the mini map is centered on you, after it isn't. It would be more accurate to say that it "un-centers the world map".

16. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

When you turn on the resources display (the circles with trianglular arrows), the arrows point towards the equator.

17. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Chieftain

Well that hardly centers the map IMHO.:gripe:

I play Archepelligos with huge maps, and it seems every game my empire is right off to one side of the screen or the other so its touch to really see my neighbors.

However, for some unknow reason Mansa always seems to be centered. Maybe I need to play a spiritual leader next time.

18. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

Centering the map would make more of a difference on maps like Inland Sea or Pangaea where the world has edges on the left and right.

19. MestreLion

MestreLion Warlord

The term might be misleading at first glance (took a long for me to understand what it was), but its surely accurate once you understand it. As you said, before the map is centered on YOU, after it isnt. But actually you are not center of the world :). So it centers the map on the center of world, un-centering you.

As for usefullness of this, i agree is very minor:

- Lattitude you can guess by terrain (jungle vs desert vs tundra) and resources (bananas vs fur, deer, sheep). Or by that very nice and smart tip provided by Ballisto. Cool! I would never figure that out myself!

- Longitude you cant guess by terrain nor resources, and the arrows of the resources are not useful either: they always point to the center of your screen, so if you scroll back and forth sideways the icons will "dance". But, again, in a world with no edges left and right, it makes no difference where you are on longitude.

- On maps with left and right edges, knowing exactly where you are on the globe (thus knowing where most of the other unkown civs are) can make a BIG difference for land grabbing/sea exploring.

- On maps with no edges, its the opposite: for noobs like me, when im near the right edge, i intuitively tend to think im very far from the left side, when im not. Even when we *know* that the left side is closer than you think, it adds a misleading bias towards intuitive calculation of distances. imho, i think map should not be centered longitudinaly, as there is no reason to do so.

- Yes, it is a bit annoying to see you suddenly turn in a tiny couple of colored pixels surronded by an ocean of black void :)

20. Sohan

Sohan Warlord

Aww, but I like to think I AM the center of the world. ;)

Okay, not quite, but I think you get my idea. As with all other civilizations (Greeks, Chinese, English, Americans, etc) I am more concerned about myself and my neighbors than I am about the distant fellows I barely know. Just as the Greeks would typically center maps around themselves during their height, the Chinese centered maps around themselves through most of their history, England was the center of the world for a while in their maps, and the Americans typically have maps with themselves at the center, I would think that my civ would do much the same. :D