Central Asian civilization

Let some randomness be. Custom civ, randomly spawn as AI, human player choose their own UP/UB/UU and UHV among some choice,

Wouldn't Tengriism technically have no temples, monasteries, and cathedrals? It's not exactly a religion like the others in the game. It's nearly completely absent of buildings.

Caveman2Cosmos has dozens of religions in its game, and Tengriism is one of them. The same problem dealing with temples and so on was also encountered there. They solved the problem by having some rather abstract 'buildings' for the religion. The only building I believe is a shaman yurt, while the rest are songs related to the concepts of the religion.

In the same mod the game can only be spread by shamans made by the shaman yurt (which is the closest thing to a monastery in Tengriis), and the religion does not spread on its own.

This is making me think Tengriism isn't even fit for this mod, despite it having a lot of support.

Tengriism could just be represented by the Turkics running Animism or Pantheon- was it really all that different from all the other pagan religions that are currently represented that way? Eventually they would convert to Islam, or perhaps Buddhism depending on what happens.

Tengriism could just be represented by the Turkics running Animism or Pantheon- was it really all that different from all the other pagan religions that are currently represented that way? Eventually they would convert to Islam, or perhaps Buddhism depending on what happens.

It has a lot of concepts from everything to animism, polytheism, and monotheism. I am not sure how it could be properly represented.

OH possibly a corporation that creates culture off of horses? A bunch of modmods have placed in minor religions or shamanistic religions as corporations.

Heck you could just make the UB a Tengriism building and be done with it. Possibly the religion spreads when the building is build (I suggest a ger or a shaman yurt) or the UB replaces the pagan temple to represent the religion.

The core has to be in Orkhon Valley imo

United Khaganate only lasted for 50 years and overlapping their core with Mongols is impractical, imo. For the rest of the history it was Western Khaganate that played the decisive role, Khazars and Bulghars and Seljuks all originating from Western Turkic people.

Also Since we have 600 AD scenario and Western Khaganate starts at 603, it would be nice to start playing Turkic civilization with a Settler, not preplaced city.

The turkic UB can replace pagan temple and be the shaman yurt. So Tengrism will be represented. Also, Turkics should spawn running Panthoen, in other words, being tengrist.

The turkic UB can replace pagan temple and be the shaman yurt. So Tengrism will be represented. Also, Turkics should spawn running Panthoen, in other words, being tengrist.

That's honestly the best solution. I can't see it being a full fledged religion in the game.

UB:
Shaman yurt (replaces pagan temple), cost: (the same as pagan temple), +1:culture:, +1:) with pantheon, +20% :hammers: on mounted units production

UB:
Shaman yurt (replaces pagan temple), cost: (the same as pagan temple), +1:culture:, +1:) with pantheon, +20% :hammers: on mounted units production

Please note I don't know for sure if it's a shaman yurt in that mod. I'll load it up and check, and then update.

EDIT: Here it is. (btw church is a civic, not a building.)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• yurta.jpg
    yurta.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 971
Forcing Tengriism into the current system of religions obviously won't work, which is why I would only want to do it as part of larger changes.

I'm sick of Pagan Temple UBs though, so until then running Animism will have to do.

Forcing Tengriism into the current system of religions obviously won't work, which is why I would only want to do it as part of larger changes.

I'm sick of Pagan Temple UBs though, so until then running Animism will have to do.

Oh neat. If you make a way to involve minor religions that don't have many buildings or have none at all, you could throw a whole bunch of minor religions in there, even north and south american native religions.

A civilization that gets some of the weakest territory of the map and is destined to be overrun by the Mongols doesn't sound like it'd be much fun to play. Imho a good design for a central asian civ would involve making conquests in Persia, Northern India and Anatolia, and having the Persians, Mughals and Ottomans emerging from the remnants of this empire. This would provide the basis for a challenging UHV, whilst still being a lot more fun than just rotting in Samarkand and waiting for the Mongol doomstacks to spawn.

I'm just trying to point out a potential problem with orienting the UHV towards generating culture or wealth. Unless there's a lot of fast-paced conquering involved, a central Asian civ just doesn't sound like fun imho.

Anything else also wouldn't really represent history, so that's a given.

Indeed, but a couple of suggestions about relating this new civ to cultural or religious objectives have already been made here, and I guess that's what my post was originally in response to.

How about an exception? In the current game religions context, representing Tengrism with a turkic UB replacing pagan temple seems reasonable.

A civilization that gets some of the weakest territory of the map and is destined to be overrun by the Mongols doesn't sound like it'd be much fun to play. Imho a good design for a central asian civ would involve making conquests in Persia, Northern India and Anatolia, and having the Persians, Mughals and Ottomans emerging from the remnants of this empire. This would provide the basis for a challenging UHV, whilst still being a lot more fun than just rotting in Samarkand and waiting for the Mongol doomstacks to spawn.

Turkic people did not rot in Samarkand, if you trace their activity from Gokturks to Seljuks -- it is nothing but boring.

Indeed, but a couple of suggestions about relating this new civ to cultural or religious objectives have already been made here, and I guess that's what my post was originally in response to.

Religion and culture does involve conquests. How else can you ensure there is an Islam in Ankira if Byzantium is strong and wont open borders? Or why playing future Timurids/Uzbeks -- how you bring culture to Samarkand in a short term if not by razing cities with culture?

Pantheon describes situation with many gods and well advanced myths about them. Tengrism puts main emphasis on one single god and totemic prehistoric nature of this religion places it more into Paganism civic and not Pantheon.

Turkic people at some point replaced Arabs as the main champions of Islam. Therefore there is no need to make pagan building their unique building, early paganism of Turkic people was not what made them unique. Nomadic and semi-nomadic character was the main thing that described them. Stable that acts like a courthouse and allows not to worry about maintenance while reaching to Europe and Asia Minor from Central Asia is what they need.

Top Bottom